Author Topic: A wagging tail that is carried too high!!!  (Read 1903 times)

Offline fi61

• Site Member
    • http://
A wagging tail that is carried too high!!!
« on: December 12, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »
Having taken my new pup to about 4 shows, Ollie is my first cocker with a tail, I was shocked to see him marked down so heavily for carrying his tail too high this Saturday.

I then checked the breed standard and saw that the judge was correct but still felt that I personally would rather see a cocker wagging their tail like crazyand enjoying the ring than being pulled along obviously not enjoying themselves at all

Ollie was the only pup that was even wagging his tail and I thought 'the merry cocker' was an important part of the breed standard????

Anyone else out there with views on this???

Fiona & 5 crazy dogs ;)

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: A wagging tail that is carried too high!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
Oh what a shame, i love seeing Cockers wagging their tails living up to their Merry name both mine are full tailed, George would'nt stand a chance in a show ring then, as his tail is carried high the whole time and it constantly wags as well  :005: he is very proud of his plumage  :lol:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline fi61

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:02:56 PM »
I love to see the tails wagging!!!  I never care if Ollie is not placed, love all my dogs if shown or not but the merry cocker should live up to their character, right or wrong??  He is only 7 months and loves the ring, has that twinkle we all love, he has not been marked down before having got 3 best pup in breed, I do not blame the judge and she did make me check the breed standard due to him being my first with a tail, I thank her for that :D

Fiona & the 5 mad dogs

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:57:16 PM »
Toby holds his tail correct on the move,and his to is always wagging and it seems to put a  :D on peoples faces  :luv:
So far i have only seen 1 dog that carrys the tail very high on the move,it still does well tho. But what happends when the boys get to that age and start feeling abit full of themselves or have recently had a bitch,or bitches who have had a litter there going to fly there tails too.

It will be intresting to see what does happen as they get older.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 09:37:13 PM »
It's just one judge's opinion at one show though - some judges will penalise tails carried too highly and some won't. The same goes for any other departure from the breed standard - it's all about how individual judges interpret the standard and how seriously they regard each "fault". If every judge thought the same, there'd be no point in going to shows as the results would be exactly the same every time :D As it is, your pup has won at more shows than he hasn't so I'd just mark this show down to experience and start looking forward to the next one ;)
Jane

Offline fi61

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:37:04 AM »
Thanks Jane, long time since I have been on the sight so shows how I feel!!!  I really do not care where my dogs are placed as long as they enjoy it, my best cocker has a number of CAC's (live in Europe) but have stopped showing her because she does not enjoy it.  I love dog shows, being new to it, only 2 or 3 years, love when my dogs do well but lets face it we know we love them so to  >:D with it.  Ollie is a baby but boy do I love him in the ring, happy, wagging his tail, what more can we ask for??!!

Dog shows are to enjoy, you meet friends, enjoy other breeds, wish they would make the ring bigger for my IS!!!  She shows so well in the big ring.

Having always been a horse show person it is still so very new to me even after what some people may say all this time, with horses you get faults, time penalties etc., but I have no problem with the judge at all, that is what we pay for to have our dogs judged properly, we have health tested, hip-scored all our bitches and after paying 750 and more a mating with no pups decided to buy a male that was from health tested parents and both parents A hips, no good for Pop's my parti-colour but even if he is no good for stud we love him :D 

So pleased you replied!!  Sometimes feel very alone here with health testing etc.

Many thanks

fi xx

Offline isaka

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »
Hi Fi,
wow it is a small world, I do believe my pup competed against yours at the show you mentioned, but I'm confused as I was chatting to the handler of your pup, a very nice lady indeed (your boy is golden and danish isn't he?) and she said that she wasn't the owner and was up from Andalucia showing him and a setter for the owner who wasn't at the show.
I do have to disagree about other pups not wagging tails ;). My boy Luigi has a undocked tail and he was certainly wagging it! In fact he has caused quite a stir here in spain with his merry outgoing attitude for a pup, the British judge (nice lady indeed and knew her stuff)  on the day she gave him "Merry" on his rapport for character as well as "typical" for movement,his low point was that he is still very fluffy and it's not ready to come out yet, so he looks like a fluffy black lamb, hence the only negative comment was "coat needs attention". We were up against professional breeders and tough competition that day, as it was the obligatory "point" (certificate), any dog wanting the spanishchampionship title, has to win 4 CAC, and one of them has to be at an "obligatory" show, and this year it was the alicante show, hence so many quality dogs being there, and the breeders brought along their youngsters for the experience. Luigi's nephew Falstack  Draminksi beat him to win the male class that both our boys were in, and Draminski is poshly bred indeed (Lujesa Happy Too grandson,son of Sp. Ch Lujesa Mirage and Sp. Ch. Falstack  Altagracia) and bred by Falstack, reknown spanish breeders, although he then  lost out as best pup of breed to the female puppy bred by Corralet (a very famous breeder in Spain).  Personally its nice to be in a class with other pups especially pups bred by the best Spanish breeders, etc!!, as the majority of shows there is usually just one or two pups maximum as you already know, and winning best pup in breed when you are the only pup doesn't exactly make me jump up and down as you then have to stay to the bitter end, in some cases an 6 hour wait to do the best pup in show, which is what happened atthe first big show (Torrepacheco) we went to, the excitement of winning best pup in breed (only pup), kind of wore off by the end of a very long day.....which ended past 8 at night.
Next time I hope to meet you in person, maybe at the Spaniel club show in February?
Regards
Shelley in Spain.
PS I have my pup on video, and your's appears in  it as well, so if you are interested I can send you the clips.
P.SS we also have in common that we are horsey people, I take it from your comments, that you were into showjumping, my sport is dressage, i currently have a horse in training down in Chipiona with an instructor from the Jerez school.
Shelley in Spain

Offline fi61

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »
Hi Shelley

My line has been down so have just come back on line, yes I know very well about the Spanish show ring and also know Alicia and Jose (Falstack), lovely people.  One of my bitches was mated with one of their dogs but sadly no pups.  It must have been my Ollie you saw, I had flu, but know what you mean about 'the point'!!!  I saw video of the show, had 2 dogs in, Ollie and my IS, agree the judge was good, on Friday the judge did not have a table or go over the dogs, when that happens I wonder why we pay!!

Where are you in Spain???  Do you have any other breeds??

Would love to hear about your dogs so hope you reply, we have 4 cockers but I am still learning with the tail!! 

Fi xx