Author Topic: I Feel Sooooo Bad :-(((((  (Read 3268 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
I Feel Sooooo Bad :-(((((
« on: May 13, 2004, 10:38:33 PM »
Early last year Vegas was chased from the park by a big lab x who was intent on mounting him :roll:  He was chased the whole distance of the park, over a busy road and down some more streets before running into a garden. Now I remember clear as day how scared I was when watching him run towards the road - something i hoped I would never have to experience again. But this evening before training, I thought I would take the boys to the park for a good run around and Vegas ran up to a little Lhasa Apso to say hello and the dog started running. Vegas obviously thought this was great fun and ran after him.....only the little dog didn't stop :cry:  I was screaming and screaming on Vegas as they were heading to the road and he eventually came back but the poor dog kept running.  I just kept running after him so i could keep him in sight and when I got to the road, a woman said he had ran along the edge of the park. I ran along another bit and saw a couple out with their dog who were close to him. I asked them to try and get hold of him as I wanted to stay back as I had Vegas on his lead with me.  The dog was obviously still scared as he was growling at the lady and he crossed over the road and sat down at the kerb. God bless the man who played policeman and held up traffic until we could get to him. When his owner finally caught up, i couldn't apologise enough. All that came out of my month was "I'm so sorry" and those famous last words "he never does that kind of thing".  :oops:  :oops: The woman was so nice about it - said he was a rescue dog and was very timid but that just made me feel worse :cry:  The poor boy will be traumatised by it all.  Vegas certainly was after his ordeal and he is as confident as they come.

Sorry its so long but just needed to get that off my chest :cry:  :cry:  :cry:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 10:45:06 PM »
Hi Gill

How awful for you to go through that again but thankfully the little dog and Vegas were both fine.  Unfortunately the worse thing to do when a dog is running away from you is to chase after them - easier said than done I know as we panic and immediately have to try and catch them.   Pleased to hear that everything is ok though and I'm sure the little dog will be fine given time and some TLC.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 10:48:55 PM »
Awwww Gill!  Don't feel bad, these things happen, you did everything you could :D   Isn't it nice to know that there are ppl still about who are willing to put themselves out for others in times of a crisis :)  I'm sure he will be fine Gill :)

EDITED TO ADD....... Bar of choccie for you tonite, my dear :wink:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 10:59:23 PM »
Don't feel bad Gill, you did far more than a lot of people would do. Some would just stand and watch. I know we shouldn't chase, but when they're heading for a road, you just have to go after them.

Emma, good idea about the choccie, but I think it should be a box  :lol:                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 11:41:24 PM »
Gill,
I know how scary this must have been. Toby once ran straight in front of a car chasing an offlead boxer and it scared the hell out of me.
I'm sure the woman understood the situation. No dog has perfect recall. You must have been so shaken up  :(                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 12:37:00 AM »
Gill if it's any consolation you tried your best and kept tabs on the wee dog,,,alot of dog owners wouldn't bother  :wink:  At least he's OK  :wink:                    

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 08:41:13 AM »
Aww Gill poor you, but thankfully all was well, it is the hardest thing in the world not to chase, I've only had this happen once to me, and Starr has never been off the lead since !                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 08:52:55 AM »
I agree firmly with everybody else Gill - sometimes dogs will be dogs no matter how much effort you've put into training them. The rescue dog wont have been placed with the lady if they thought she wasnt experienced/able to cope with its problems, so try not to worry about it  :wink:                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 09:16:24 AM »
These things happen Gill, it's happened to me twice in the last week but Lottie has been the one being chased (well, that was her interpretation :roll: ).  Both times I actually felt sorry for the owners who were reacting just as you did :wink:

On Wednesday a Samoyed was bouncing around the field barking.  He was really playful and bounced over to Lottie.  Unfortunatley Lottie doesn't like barking :roll:  (loves playing though :wink: ) and started to run.  Unfortunately so did the Samoyed :?   He wouldn't come back for the owner.  I ran after Lottie but as soon as she looked over her shoulder I stopped and looked as if I was calm :lol:  :wink:

I ended up calling the Samoyed over who was really up for some attention :wink:  and his owner put him on his lead.  Lottie then headed back towards us realising that he meant no harm :roll:

These things rarely happen and then it happens to me twice in a week :?

Gill....can we share that box of chocalates please? :lol:  :lol:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 09:23:42 AM »
How awful for you it must of  really shook you up, but if it,s any consolation last night I took Molly and Evie for a leisurely stroll along the riverbank, sounds wonderful it was a nightmare! I let them of their leads for a romp when Annie a lovely chocolate lab came along, walking nicely on her lead when Molly charged barking her head off towards them :twisted: I shouted her back but she went deaf on me, Annie started twisting around on her lead and knocked her poor mother on the floor, I was so cross with Molly, little Evie just sat that there watching the chaos.

But one thing we have to remember that at the end of the day they are dogs with minds of their own! Not robots :)  well thats what i tell my self!
And yes it was chocolate all round for me when I got home and a bag of crisps :wink:  ( I feel a bit better now )

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline T

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 10:06:18 AM »
Wowl scary stuff indeed  :shock: ... hope you're feeling better about it all this morning .. esp after all the praise & encouragement from the guys!  :)  
And don't feel guilty about the chocs, if ya did have 'em!! :wink:                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 10:36:59 AM »
Gill don't beat yourself up about !! sometimes these things happen.

All vegas wanted to do was play, and you went out of your way to make things right.
Some so called dog owners would have just walked away.

I just hope the little Lhasa Apso's owner, will keep him on a lead, until she gets  some advice, about how to deal with this poor boys problem. :(  and he learns that not all dogs are about to hurt him. She sounded like a lovely lady.  :)

I hope you've got over the shock, and you chilled out last night, it must have been very scary.
Give my favourite boy Vegas a big kiss  form me.                      
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 11:57:53 AM »
Gill....can we share that box of chocalates please?  

Sorry Mary - all gone :wink:  :lol:  I do feel a bit better this morning but last night I felt like one of those idiot dog owners who let their dogs off leads when they have no control over them and let them cause havoc for the good citizens of the canine world :(  Oh well, its over and done with now and the little dog was unharmed. Vegas' recall is normally very good even with distractions but may do a little more practise on that one. I was going to give him some 'stand stay' exercises today as his punishment(he hates those :twisted: ) but instead he's going to get a lovely bath(he hates them even more :twisted: ). Actually, come to think of it, I'll make him do the 'stand stay'  exercise in the bath :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 12:05:37 PM »
Quote from:  but instead he's going to get a lovely bath(he hates them even more :twisted: ). Actually, come to think of it, I'll make him do the 'stand stay'  exercise in the bath :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:[/quote

Gill , don;t you dare.  :shock:  :wink:  :lol:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 10:34:59 PM »
Ohh Gill, you must have been frantic  :?   Hope you've recovered now - with the help of those chocolates of course  :D  Don't be too hard on Vegas, he was only trying to make new                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys