Author Topic: Insurance Again!  (Read 9100 times)

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
Insurance Again!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2005, 12:20:54 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with tesco pet insurance, as i thought petplan seemed expensive ,

paul
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Insurance Again!
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2005, 01:23:37 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with tesco pet insurance, as i thought petplan seemed expensive ,

paul
[snapback]115180[/snapback]

Tesco is a lot cheaper then Pet Plan but they have more restrictions. Tescos only cover any illness for up to one year from onset So lets say you pup gets knocked over, his initial bills will be covered, but lets say he gets arthritis down the line because of the first injury, then it wont be covered.

I think Marks and Spencers have a comparable policy to Pet Plan, where they cover the illness for life, which is very reasonable. Or you can do as many people do and build a puppy fund, basically putting a certain amount a month away in a seperate high interest account for any expensive vetinary bills. You may be lucky (like we were) and find you never need to dip in to it for years, therefore building up enough cover all costs when needed
Caroline and Alfie

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2005, 07:35:51 AM »

paul

Tesco is a lot cheaper then Pet Plan but they have more restrictions. Tescos only cover any illness for up to one year from onset So lets say you pup gets knocked over, his initial bills will be covered, but lets say he gets arthritis down the line because of the first injury, then it wont be covered.

I think Marks and Spencers have a comparable policy to Pet Plan, where they cover the illness for life, which is very reasonable. Or you can do as many people do and build a puppy fund, basically putting a certain amount a month away in a seperate high interest account for any expensive vetinary bills. You may be lucky (like we were) and find you never need to dip in to it for years, therefore building up enough cover all costs when needed
[snapback]115184[/snapback]
Thats what we did, when our premiums doubled over less than 4 years, and we'd made no claims either. The excess went up too.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2005, 09:01:24 AM »
A Puppy fund - now you know I've never thought of that. That would probably be very worthwhile. 'Specially as the years roll by, and the insurance gets more and more expensive.

Thanks for that, I'll set one up beside Andrews uni fund  :rolleyes:

Offline Whistler

• Site Member
    • http://m4hood.myphotoalbum.com
Insurance Again!
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2005, 08:56:35 PM »
Ok say I have cover with someone else now.  12 months down the line will pet plan consider me?  they are looking £22 per month for Ollie while Tesco's were £9 I wouldn't be cheap in looking out for Ollie but it is a lot more money.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Insurance Again!
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2005, 10:04:31 PM »
Ok say I have cover with someone else now.  12 months down the line will pet plan consider me?  they are looking £22 per month for Ollie while Tesco's were £9 I wouldn't be cheap in looking out for Ollie but it is a lot more money.
[snapback]115370[/snapback]

You can swop cover at any time as long your dog is in the age bracket covered, Tescos I think over accept new policys up to the age of 6 for example.

Pet Plan is not necessarily the best plan out there - its just the most well known. Try THIS site for comparisons, just put in the dogs age and your post code and a chart will come up with the basics offered from various companies. You then have to click on the details to read what exactly is covered, worth an hours time.

And I agree Pet Plan are too expensive, especially for being in  South London, they wanted £28 a month premiums with £60 excess - no way worth it in my mind
Caroline and Alfie

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »
Has anyone any experience of E & L. They do 4 levels of cover starting at £5.95 a month to £11.95.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Insurance Again!
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2005, 06:00:01 PM »
Has anyone any experience of E & L. They do 4 levels of cover starting at £5.95 a month to £11.95.
[snapback]115537[/snapback]

From what I've read both on here and other dog forums E&L seem to have a pretty poor reputation for trying to wriggle out of paying out and also delaying any payments for as long as possible. :( I had similar problems with Healthy Pets - it took me ages to get any money out of them and even when I did they kept making deductions from the full amount, they argued the toss over everything. :angry:

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
Insurance Again!
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2005, 08:34:07 PM »
We went with Sainsburys after a lot of research.  Seems there's basically three different types of pet insurance

1) Cheaper policies that have low ceilings on the pay-out and are normally limited to 12 months cover per illness

2) Mid-range policies that allow a maximum value per illness, but don't restrict to 12 months

3) Top end policies that allow a maximum value per year and don't stop paying out for each illness.

Sainsburys falls into the middle bracket and on paper looks to have a good sum insured for the premium paid.  We've only just taken out the policy, so have no idea how good they'll be when it comes to making a claim, and how much the premiums will increase each year.  Having said that, there were lots of COL folk who said they had good experience with Sainsburys....
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Insurance Again!
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2005, 09:03:02 PM »
Ok say I have cover with someone else now.  12 months down the line will pet plan consider me?  they are looking £22 per month for Ollie while Tesco's were £9 I wouldn't be cheap in looking out for Ollie but it is a lot more money.
[snapback]115370[/snapback]

They will still take you on but bear in mind, that should Ollie have any illness or accidents within the year, then they won't provide cover for those conditions either. Its really down to your own personal situation - if you stick with Tesco and Ollie develops a lifelong condition, they will only pay out for 12 months then you will have to find the money to cover the cost for the rest of his life. One of our clients has a dog with numerous medical complaints and he is approx 200.00 a month for treatment.....and we are in scotland so much cheaper than down south. He didn't realise there was any difference with policies and unfortunately his turned out to be a 12 month policy. Have you looked at the More Th>n and Marks & Spencer policies? My 3 are insured with M & S for 10.00 a month each and I think they give 7000 per condition. Still very reasonable price wise and much better cover than 12 month policies ;)  

Just don't touch E&L with a bargepole ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2005, 12:26:07 PM »
We got a leaflet for Puppy Quote looks promising but I haven't had time to look fully into it.

Offline mick

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2005, 12:31:02 PM »
We changed our Jess to Sainsburies because of peoples recommendations regarding a thread on this site a while back but we also have not used it yet.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Insurance Again!
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »
 :luv:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
Insurance Again!
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2005, 08:46:44 PM »

paul

Or you can do as many people do and build a puppy fund, basically putting a certain amount a month away in a seperate high interest account for any expensive vetinary bills. You may be lucky (like we were) and find you never need to dip in to it for years, therefore building up enough cover all costs when needed
[snapback]115184[/snapback]

Just wondering how much would be a reasonable amount for a puppy fund??  I have jed with M&S but we are reluctant to claim anything small for fear of increasing the premiums - defeating the object really!
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.