Author Topic: When Is The Best Time?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« on: March 16, 2005, 02:17:13 PM »
I wasn't sure whether to put this message in looking for a puppy forum or this one because it's not actually a 'seeking pup' message (I have already done one of those).

I'm just not sure when we should be looking for our puppy. We don't want to get one (well we'd love to but can't because of family commitments/holidays) until mid June.

Some people say they've got long waiting lists which suggests that you should contact people early.

Some don't start a waiting list until they know their bitch is pregnant (we're waiting for a couple of people to confirm this).

I've contacted the Kennel Club and got a list of accredited breeders which to be honest doesn't seem to have been that much use. I know reputable breeders don't always have pups available but most of the people I've tried on the list only breed every few years!?! Quite a number of them only breed working cockers too.

The list of available pups on the Kennel Club site doesn't seem to be very up to date. A lot of the pups were born months ago and must have gone to their new homes long ago.....

I've tried the secretary of my local Cocker Spaniel Club and she gave me a number for a lady, when I rang her she only has details of pups that are available right now and doesn't have info about pregnant bitches that are expecting - this suggests I'm too early.

Am I too early, too late or just right? :huh:

Confused :wacko:

Offline Jo & Dennis

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »
HI JILLY

WHERE ABOUTS ARE YOU BECAUSE I KNOW OF A COUPLE OF LITTERS IN LINCOLNSHIRE AREA ??

JO

Holly's Mum & Dad

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 05:23:20 PM »
HI JILLY

WHERE ABOUTS ARE YOU BECAUSE I KNOW OF A COUPLE OF LITTERS IN LINCOLNSHIRE AREA ??

JO
[snapback]107037[/snapback]

Hi Jo,

we're in Milton Keynes but we don't mind travelling.

Do you know when these litters will be due? I would be very interested in any info you have.

Thanks,

Jilly

Offline Sprout's

• Site Member
    • http://
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 05:31:17 PM »
Hi  jilly

Good luck with your search. It's a good idea to spend time locating the right pup for you so i'm sure you 're right to start exploring the options early.

Do you have children? We do and I'm really glad we got our puppy towards the end of a school holiday because whilst the children are really good ,they were very excited by his arrival. It was good for him to have some guaranteed quiet time in those very early days and for me to be able to give him lots of attention.

GOod luck with your search wewill look forward to greeting your new puppy in the near future

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 05:39:47 PM »
Do you have children? We do and I'm really glad we got our puppy towards the end of a school holiday because whilst the children are really good ,they were very excited by his arrival. It was good for him to have some guaranteed quiet time in those very early days and for me to be able to give him lots of attention.

[snapback]107062[/snapback]

No, we don't have any children, just me and my husband and a ickle bunny rabbit.

I feel like it should be something you start early, I like to be prepared! But, the majority of people/sources of information only seem to relate to 'available' puppies not expected one's.

The thing is I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's if ringing round now is pointless. But I don't want to wait until May and then people say their waiting list is 2 months long and I should have phoned earlier!

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 05:52:24 PM »
I had the exact same problem when we started looking for one.

It was last June we decided we wanted one, but knew we would have to wait until January to get it due to holiday commitments.

What we did was go to various local dog shows and spoke to breeders/exhibitors, when we were happy and felt comfortable with them and knew they were reputable I kept in contact with them to see if they knew of anyone who would be having a litter.

It was October when we spoke to the breeder of Einstein and she had just mated her bitch to a dog which I had admired from the internet.  Luckily I kept in contact with her straight away and now we have ickle Einstein who is getting fluffier and more devilish everyday!

I would say now is the perfect time to start looking if you are looking at getting a dog in June.
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline dreamcatcher

• Site Member
    • http://
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 06:28:28 PM »
:) Hi I live in northamptonshire and the breeder I got shiloh from lives near by my dad also has always had his dogs from her so I know her quite well I rang her in may last year and her bitch had just became pregnant she rang me in july when they were born and I went to see and choose him when he was 10 days old and every week after until we could bring him home which was great. My children had just gone back to school and it was a perfect time .If you would like me to contact her pm me . good luck.
TANYA AND SHILOH

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 08:22:08 PM »
I would think you are looking at the right time. :)
Lots of breeders have waiting lists and if you wait too long then they might not have any pups available.
Hopefully you will get some useful contacts from people on COL.
Do you have a preference for colour because that can make a search harder.

Offline Jo & Dennis

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 09:27:16 PM »
Hi Jilly

I will PM you.

Jo
Holly's Mum & Dad

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 10:50:13 AM »
Do you have a preference for colour because that can make a search harder.
[snapback]107168[/snapback]

If I had the choice of any colour I would probably go for lemon/orange & white/roan but we really would just like to find a good breeder and a healthy, happy pup with good temperament. The only colours we don't really like are the & tans (no offence to anyone who has one).

We have no real preference for a bitch or dog either so we're pretty flexible really

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 10:51:34 AM »
Hi Jilly

I will PM you.

Jo
[snapback]107190[/snapback]

Jo

I'm not sure if you did send a PM but I haven't received it, just thought I'd let you know :)

Jilly

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 08:19:14 PM »
x
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
When Is The Best Time?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 09:08:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help.

All being well, we have now found our pup :D

Will be ready 20th May or thereabouts, as long as we're happy when we go to visit and the breeder is happy with us, we have a pup!

Can't quite believe it :huh:

For anyone else 'chasing their tails' as we were, persevere because something will come along in the end.