Author Topic: Brace yourself for insurance premium hikes....  (Read 8313 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Brace yourself for insurance premium hikes....
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »
Done the searching.  The problem is that you're rarely even close to comparing "like with like".  The Healthy Pets plan looks good, but the vet fees cover only goes up to £5k, whereas M&S is £7k per annum.  Other policies running at £6k and £6.5k had these levels "per condition" - so once you've spent that much on a long term illness in total, you're on your own.

On the "More Than" site - cover was £7k vets fees, per annum - but all the other things you might reasonably want were covered only to a third of the level set by M&S (e.g. £500 theft -v- £1500 theft and straying).  Nearly went for the More Than cover, but checked the excess - it was £75 (fine with me) OR 15% of the vets' fees, whichever is the higher.  So on a serious £3500 illness (and I know some of you have had bills of this size), I'd be picking up £525 as the excess.  Ouch.  I don't know if this was standard or because I put colitis down as a pre-existing condition (and therefore an excluded one).

What I'd really like to find is just a broker who could get me a tailored one-off quote.  In reality - it's the vets' fees I'm most concerned about and I'd happily waive some of the "bells and whistles" cover which M&S provides.  Might give them a ring and see if it can be tailored down a bit....

Denise

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »

What I'd really like to find is just a broker who could get me a tailored one-off quote.  In reality - it's the vets' fees I'm most concerned about and I'd happily waive some of the "bells and whistles" cover which M&S provides.  Might give them a ring and see if it can be tailored down a bit....

Denise

I think M&S insurance is underwritten by AXA, you might be better off calling them direct and seeing if you can get a tailored quote, per se.

Either way, let us know how you get on - I'd be very interested to hear.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
Oh my goodness, I just got my Pet Plan renewal through!  It is £336 per annum.  I pay monthly and it was £18.85 per month and is now £28 roughly per month.  Previous years it has been up about £1 per month so i was expecting it to be £20!  I am stunned.   >:D

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 07:47:15 PM »
Oh my goodness, I just got my Pet Plan renewal through!  It is £336 per annum.  I pay monthly and it was £18.85 per month and is now £28 roughly per month.  Previous years it has been up about £1 per month so i was expecting it to be £20!  I am stunned.   >:D

:huh: Billys pet plan is £18 per month

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 08:05:57 PM »
I pay £11.62 with crufts pet insurance which was offered when I refused to pay the premium of the kennel club one! It seems to offer what I need! Maudie is just a pet so I guess show dog need extra????? :huh:
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
I think i just have the very very best policy which is why it is so expensive.  I think i will downgrade my cover!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 08:48:52 PM »
Done the searching.  The problem is that you're rarely even close to comparing "like with like". 

I agree Denise - when I was unhappy with Direct Line after they changes their terms and conditions, I eventually set up a spreadsheet listing all the benefits across the top, and each insurer down the side, so that I could see what I was getting for my money in comparison to others  ::)

Until this year, M & S Money offered by far the best value for money (most benefits for cheapest price) now they are still offering one of the most comprehensive policies - but at a higher price, so more people will opt out and find a cheaper policy that offers the cover they are happy with. The good news for those of us staying with M & S Money is that we may find that the current problems being experienced by the company due to too many customers will be alleviated  :005: ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 11:19:45 AM »
I've been reading this thread with interest as I have had a shocker of a renewal too.

Sophie, now 10 years old, has been insured with Pedigree Livestock Ins all her life, and currently I pay 17.49 per month.  Now apparently they have withdrawn from the insurance intermediary market and so I have just been offered a new Exclusive policy with Pet Protect at £30.93 per month  :o (£371.20 per annum)  That is more than my fully comp car insurance and I have only been driving since last April!!!!

Well they have got me over a barrel here haven't they  >:(

I await to see what happens with the two boys insurance, they are insured with Direct Line
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 03:40:25 PM »
I have a bank account for my lot - well they actually have premium bonds now as the money needed to work for them, they haven't won anything yet :lol: Reason for bank account was the fact that at the time, 2 out of 3 of mine couldn't get decent insurance as Gizmo had a heart condition and Willow had had joint problems so exclusions meant I was only half covered for both of them. I increased the amount I paid in as I added dogs. I do worry about mega bills but we are pretty well sorted and would cope financially anyway. Can get 3rd party insurance for about £15 a year.

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »
Nice to know you can get 3rd party cover without all the rest then! :D

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 06:18:03 PM »
Nice to know you can get 3rd party cover without all the rest then! :D

I was thinking the same  ;)

Even when included in a full policy, I found the different conditions associated with third party cover varied greatly  ::)
Some policies have a blanket £250 excess on third party claims, with others, the excess is £250 for "property damage" claims, but set at the same rate as the overall policy for other 3rd party claims  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 07:16:56 PM »
One way to get 3rd party for £15
http://www.pet-id-club.net/

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »
We use Healthy Pets and have just had our renewal. Despite a claim for £360 for Pepsi's lip fold op and treatment it has only gone up by pennies.

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 02:19:22 PM »
Done more searching and decided to go with Halifax's top level of cover - £6k of vets' fees instead of £7k with M&S.  £175.44 for the year instead of £263.

Bizarrely, I went direct to Axa's site too and their quote (identical cover to the M&S policy) was £310!

Halifax also don't charge extra if you want to pay monthly by direct debit -so am taking this option to aid cash flow!  Works out at £14.62 pcm.

Denise

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »
Sounds like you've got a good deal there Denise.

I cant believe that AXA charge so much if you go to them direct!!!
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."