Author Topic: puppy  (Read 1344 times)

Offline dorae

• Site Member
puppy
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »
got cocker spaniel puppy 13 weeks old first dog we have ever had, he is lovely but one minute he is soft and next trying to bite you is this normal?

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: puppy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 11:33:21 AM »
Hi Dorae,

It is VERY normal. This will go on for ages, as well, hes mouthing,  he doens't know hes biting, thinks hes playing like what he did with his litter mates.

First thing i suggest is get yourself the 'The Perfect Puppy Book' by Gwen Bailey. I would get this NOW, if its your first puppy, so you know what to expect, and how to act around him, and how to show him what he should and shouldn't be doing.

It will teach you to ignore, the bad behaviour - NEVER to punish it.

As a start, when the pup mouths you, try and occupy him with a toy, or get up and ignore him.

As you have a big family, its a great opportunity for you all to leanr, and if you go through the book together, you will all be working with the same goal.

You are very lucky to have this time, with your young pup, do enjoy it.

I assure you wyou will have lots of time, when y ou despair, but its all worth it, and there are lots of people on here to advise and help.

WHats his name?, Can you post pictures.

Please do buy the book, its invaluable. !!!

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 11:39:51 AM »
Yes, Cathy is right (as always!!)

That book is well-thumbed in our house even now that Buddy is 15 months old (Today!!)

Offline dorae

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:53:56 AM »
thank you for the advise do you know were i can get the book thanks

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:13:21 PM »

Hi again,

Depends where you want to buy, I got mine from a book shop in town centre. I had to have it the min i heard of it !!!  ;)

Or Ebay here : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Perfect-Puppy-by-Gwen-Bailey_W0QQitemZ8400485599QQcategoryZ29268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or Amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0600585816/qid=1143720634/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-4208179-2201421

My Perfect Puppy, chewed the cover within 24 hours of owning the book !!

Let us know how you get on with it.   DOn't forget you can always look up previous posts on here or ask lots and lots of questions !!! 
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:21:19 PM »
Hi Again,

Sorry, Not stalking you..

Its worth getting a crate,  - somewhere safe and quiet for her to go, if you have 5 kids - she may need space, where they can't / shouldn't bother him. Somewhere to get them used to sleeping at night, and it can help with toilet training.

Sorry if you already have one, I think they are great.  - Its not about being shut up, its more of havving somewhere peaceful to relax...

X X X
CATHY

Offline dorae

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »
charlie has had a crate from day 1 he sleeps in it at night only problem if i leave it open in day he uses it as toilet

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 02:27:07 PM »
Hi Donna

Is there Newspaper in there?

Maybe if there is, its coz hes used to having the scent. Its unusual for them to go where they sleep.

Maybe put him in after hes been to the toliet to have a sleep. Jazz has her soft bed in there.

CATHY

Offline dorae

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
yes there is newspaper in will take it out and try him without he usually sleeps on the paper and wees on the fleece

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 12:34:49 PM »
Paddy (nearly 5 months) did this for a while.  I'm not sure, but I think it was because the fleece drained the pee to the base and was absorbent but then the surface dried quickly so he could lie down again, while thepaper stayed wet and smelled worse.  He's got a huge crate (loaned by a friend) to sleep in at night and has been generally clean and dry since 10 weeks old, except when his colitis and diarrhoea were really bad. 

But oddly, when that happened (even though there is paper at the back third of the crate, and fleece VetBed at the front two thirds), he always poo'ed on the fleece.  Then sat in it.  then lay in it.  YUK in his ears.  Always on a work day too.

Never worked that out.  I'm just about to remove the paper entirely this weekend, as his tum has settled down on the new Forthglade Lifestage food, so he'll have one monster bed to loaf around on!  And hopefully not pee or poo on.