Author Topic: mixing meat with dry complete  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
mixing meat with dry complete
« on: November 03, 2003, 01:08:07 PM »
Hi, all,
Jess is now on JWB, but she doesn't seem too fussy on it on its own at the moment.  Have read good things about naturediet.  Do you think it would be alright to give her 3/4 of the dry JWB with 1/4 of naturediet mixed in?  My sister feeds her boxer on butchers tripe tinned food and suggested I try a bit of this mixed in.  I know they can become fussy if you give them different things but what do you all think?

Advice appreciated
Linda and Jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 01:26:07 PM »
I would avoid adding too much meat at this stage as you do risk making her fussy. One approach is to put the food doan and only leave it for about 15 - 20 minutes. What she hasn;t eaten, take up. Don;t give her anything until her next mealtime and follow the same process. This does encourage them to eat what they can when they can as they soon learn there's nothing else. Another approach is to make the kibble more appetising.

Try warming the kibble in the microwave for about 15 - 20 seconds, that makes it more appetising. You could also try adding some gravy to it, again a little warm increases the taste and aroma. You could also try adding some grated cheese, carrot or a bit of minced fish, like TUna or Pilchards or some meat. I would avoid processed meat though - but that's just my preference.

When feeding a complete food lilke JWB, you just have to be careful not to upset the balance too much as that can lead to tummy troubles.

easy isn't it ;D  ;D  ;D
hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 01:56:43 PM »
Thanks Pam,
Will try a bit of small spoonful of tuna just to coat the kibbles if warming it doesn.t work.  I don;t want to make her fussy and I don't really fancy starting down the tinned dog food route myself.
I shall persevere, what she hasn't scoffed in 20 mins she won't get another chance till next meal.
Thanks again
TTFN
Linda and Jess xxx                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 06:03:51 PM »
I feed my gang on JWB and like Pam suggests, I always add a splash of warm water from kettle (boiled about 10 minutes before) just to get the flavour going a bit. They also have a small amount of either Butchers Tripe or raw minced beef or some veggies for a change ;D                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 11:17:20 PM »
I warm the dried food up too, with water from the kettle, I got told not to use BOILING water though as it brings all the oils etc to the surface of the food and cause tummy upset ::) not sure how true this is, maybe someone else knows :)  Indie is a fussy eater, entirely my fault :-  I ahve to add stuffto her food, I alternate, tuna, pilchards, scrambled egg, cheese, vegetables and have recently been getting the Butchers, it says its naturel on the pouch, she seems fine with it :)  I literally add just enough to coat the biscuits though, and have to soak her Autarky until its mushy them mix in a little of one of the above so she has no chance of picking out the biscuits ;) ;D  Can you tell I have fussy kids too ::) :D

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 09:55:06 AM »
I'm having a bit of trouble with Phoebe at the moment. She's becoming less interested in her JWB. We warm it up with water from the kettle that is just warm.

Over the last few days she has needed persuading to eat it. Once she starts she's okish. But I'm not giving in - she won't get anything else. After reading the problems other forum members have had - I'm not giving in ::)

(Might try the carrots though!!!!!)                    
Anita

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 10:15:11 AM »
i had problems with nell as a pup, she was fussy and wouldnt eat.  ???    but now she eats anything. ......But to be honest, i dont think i would like to just have one food every day of my life!!! i t would be so boring,  when dogs lived in the wild, they had a variety of food, .... ???...We sometimes give her Pilchard!! or tuna fish, and chicken. .....And sometimes Butchers tripe...She will eat her complete food with or without anything added     :P   ..... But having said that!!! ...when there pups if you do start giving them all sorts of variety of  food, because they wont eat!!   ::)   that can and will make them fussy. :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 10:59:40 AM »
Hello,
and thanks for all your replies.  Its strange isn't it, this food thing, Jess was scoffing all her JWB when she first went on it.  She really loved it.  Anyway I mixed in a small spoonful of tuna and a little of the oil and she wolfed the lot.  Think I have started something here though!!!!
Just been to my local butchers and managed to get her a nice well trimmed beef shin bone.  She's in her basket having a good gnaw!!!  She's enjoying it so much she's nearly falling asleep with contentment!*!* I think if she could talk she'd say "Mum I'm in Heaven".

Anyway while she's gnawing away on the bone she's not gnawing the contents of the house or me!!!!  Mind you she is 100 per cent better than when we first had her, she's really started to listen and I've trained her to sit.!!  My first successful bit of training, I'm so chuffed with her.

Anyway speak to you all soon.  Jess's last vaccination on Thursday and then it's big wide world HERE WE COME!!!!!!

TTFN for now all you cocker lovers!*!*
Linda and Jess                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 10:28:41 PM »
I'm having a bit of trouble with Phoebe at the moment. She's becoming less interested in her JWB. We warm it up with water from the kettle that is just warm.

Over the last few days she has needed persuading to eat it. Once she starts she's okish. But I'm not giving in - she won't get anything else. After reading the problems other forum members have had - I'm not giving in ::)

(Might try the carrots though!!!!!)

Anita, I grated raw carrot over the JWB for mine the other day and although none of them are now fussy eaters (Meg was, Neneh was, Otis 8) no way Jose ;D) they do enjoy having a little something extra.
Anyway the carrot wrapped itself around the kibble so it might be worth trying it that way ???                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 02:27:02 PM »
Thanks Michele

She has picked up over the last couple of days but I'll still give the carrots a go. Need to remember to get the chicken wings out as well!                    
Anita

Offline bunny

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 09:00:45 PM »
hi
this is an issue people will have all kinds of different advice or opinions on, i have tried nearly everything, all kinds of dried food etc....and although i originally only wanted elmo to have dried food, for all the obvious reasons, i this week served him up some pedigree chum mixed with pedigree chum mixer bites, and he ate it, in secs, even when the door went he did not move from his dish, to see who it was, and actually came to me at dinner time to remind me what time it was, i have tried the carrots, and the tuna, but he got fed up of them to, and also the scrambled eggs, all the little sweethearts, will eat what they want or like, especially with owners like me, who spoil them rotten and are more worried that they eat, than go without, that takes strength, :D                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 09:25:50 PM »
I alternate between Butchers Trip Mix and AMP Raw Tripe...that's always worth a go as they seem to love it...but only if you stomach can handle it  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 12:16:10 PM »
I give both mine JWB with a small sliver of nature diet mixed in, I warm the nature diet in the microwave first so it mixes up nicely.  I don't give very much though.. If I put the food in kongs it makes it more challenging to get out.  As I tend to give a range of treats through-out the day in the form of mind-stimulating activities, this is probably worse for their tums!

Having said that, both my boys will eat JWB on it's own dry, wet, with gravy etc... I guess having a bit of competition helps, as I'm sure the pup would eat the lot if Neo wasn't quick enough.  8)                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 02:45:39 PM »
I'd like to just say thanks for the advice about putting a little tuna in with dry kibbles.  Woody had his first taste of tuna this lunchtime and BOY was it a success!  A clean bowl and in record time!   8)                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner