Author Topic: SQUABBLING PUPPIES  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Dean C Hood

• Site Member
SQUABBLING PUPPIES
« on: May 17, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
Our puppy is 13 weeks old and for the next 2 weeks we are babysitting his sister who is my mother in laws dog while they are on holiday. Although they do see eachother regularly since leaving the breader, they seem to fight like mad. Is this normal for 2 young puppies and should we keep them apart to save any casualties. We have them in their own crates at opposite sides of the kitchen but once let out it is mayhem!
Any advice would be appreciated. It may be handy to know that our dog puppy is usually very easy going where as his sister is a real live wire.

Regards

Dean ( The referee for Nelson & Poppy )  :?                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
SQUABBLING PUPPIES
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 07:28:46 PM »
Hi,
I often foster puppies, normally at least two from the same litter, and it is VERY normal for them to fight all the time. It can look and sound quite alarming but it's nothing to worry about.
Kelly                    

Offline Dean C Hood

• Site Member
SQUABBLING PUPPIES
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 08:47:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply but they do seem real at it. I will perhaps just be there in case they get out of hand or do you think that will stop when had enough?                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
SQUABBLING PUPPIES
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 09:43:34 PM »
Hi Dean,

I would say what's going on is just play fighting, I know it can be very noisy and quite alarming at times but it's just a way of letting of steam!

Don't forget they are still babies and have loads of energy, if you think it's getting out of hand try distracting them with a game.

My youngest cocker Evie is 17 weeks and she likes to play fight with Molly who is 2 and a half and she can sometimes sound viscious, growling and nipping, pulling Molly's ears etc but when she meets other dogs whilst out on walks she knows her place and is well behaved. Things will calm down soon I'm sure! :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
SQUABBLING PUPPIES
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 09:52:28 PM »
Hi there
When we got both our pups at the same time (a westie and a coker) we thought the cocker was a gremlin in disguise!!! :twisted:
Jessie would growl, bark and terrorise Saffi till Saffi would hide for cover and even then she wouldnt stop. Interestingly Saffi is top dog and when she did have enough and retaliated it sounded like a savage dog fight with barks, growls, yelps and screams from Jessie.
However neither came to any harm and now at 9 and 10 months each they are the best of friends  :D
They were just learning how hard they can bite when playing and when enough is enough. We hardly ever have any noise from them now even though they still play fight!
Cheers
Jane, Saffi the westie and Jessie the cocker x                    

Offline PennyB

SQUABBLING PUPPIES
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 10:32:25 PM »
While there's 13 months between my 2 they playfight like mad on an off throughout the day and it often sounds like they are trying to kill each other but I just leave them to it.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!