Author Topic: So far ... not so good  (Read 2280 times)

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
So far ... not so good
« on: June 11, 2004, 02:00:40 PM »
So we're into day 6 and I'm finding this "parenting" lark a lot more difficult than I thought.   :cry: After getting absolutely no sleep and ignoring Woody's pitiful and then angry pleas for freedom, I took a different approach last night and used a very stern and loud voice with him.  It seems to have worked in that we got some sleep but of course now I feel guilty.   :cry: This morning he has been playing up - running away and hiding under the sofas when I'm trying to give him a run in the garden and allow him to let off steam outside.  So I put him in his pen for some "time out" and he turned his back on me.  I think he's asleep now  but he's obviously remembering what I did last night.  It's a definitely puppy sulk!   :oops:

My husband is having slightly more luck with him - I guess I'm lower in the pecking order.  Feeding is fine, toilet training is a joke!  He doesn't have a clue!!  So it's all a bit tricky.  I absolutely adore him but I never seem to know what the "right" thing to do is.  Any advice?!  Heeeeeellp!                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Laura

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 02:40:37 PM »
Oh Jo I haven't got advice as such but do sympathize whole heartedly!  I cried after getting Brogan - wondering what the hell I had let myself in for - he was a nightmare - 10 years I had waited to get him as well.  A couple of weeks went passed before I could even touch him, never mind play - all he did was bite me - the rest of the family did not have the same bother.  I constantly yelped at his bites and lots of looking away and time out - oh yeah and felt as if I was letting him down.  There is light at the end of the tunnel - just a little dim at the moment.  But you hang in there - like a newborn baby he needs your guidance - and yes your patience will be tested!  One day it will all fall into place - and you will look back smiling - and reassuring someone else that it does get better :lol:

Brogan is the most wonderful dog now and well worth all those early tears - here I am now waiting the arrival of No 2 in 11 days!!  So, it couldn't have been all that bad! :roll:  :!:

Have you got the book "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey?  That book became my bible - oh and the advice on here of course!! Have you read the information under Cocker Questions?  

Don't feel guilty about shouting - tiredness is awful and unfortunately we are only human - doubt he is holding it against you today.  He probably got a better night sleep last night and today has puppy enthusiasm! The toilet training will come  - but it will take time and patience.  

Believe it or not they don't do all this out of spite! :twisted: Wish you lots of luck - a big hug to keep you going - you will get there!!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
So far ... not so good
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 02:49:55 PM »
Hang on in there Jo :wink:  My Vegas was the spawn of the devil as a pup - I was convinced he hated me. He probably thought his name was 'NO' for the first few months :lol:  He was really bad with the biting, and like Laura with Brogan, i couldn't even stroke him without him launching himself at me. I had also waited 10 years to get a puppy all of my own and I was heartbroken that he wasn't what I had hoped my puppy would be like :cry: He was fine with everybody else so of course they all thought I was exaggerating :roll:  But now, he is the biggest mummy's boy you are ever likely to meet :wink:  :D Just be consistent and it will all fall into place....promise :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
So far ... not so good
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 02:56:39 PM »
Jo,

Don't panic :D I know exactly how you feel, Abby is at the moment 30% cute little angel :D 30% howling banshee and 40% biting satan dog :twisted:

She is sleeping better, and tonight we will be trying the newly purchased Snuggle puppy so I will let you know tomorrow how we get on with that.

Toilet training is another matter,I will take her outside and she will quite happily do a number 2 and after lots of praise and fuss she walks into the house and piddles all over the floor????

My husband keeps telling me that Billy our nearly 4 year old cocker was exactly the same, but that I have selective memory :?

Keep smiling and getting lots of puppy cuddles and I am sure that we will both look at these posts in a few months and laugh.

Michelle                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 02:56:46 PM »
It could be the chasing after him and him hiding is him 'enjoying his playtime' even though its not much fun for you.

The chances are he definitely does not remember you shouting at him the night before. He sulk is likely to be 'cocker blackmail', as I like to call it, black mail with guilty looks...

When I tell jazz off, its with a firm no, and a stern look, then a few seconds later when she has stopped being 'naughty' I play with her again. I read a book that advised when a puppy is naughty the mother snaps, so they learn there lesson, but seconds later they are loving them again, but just give them enough time to realise what they are doing it wrong, but totally ignoring them, and walking away. it really does work, esp with play biting.                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
So far ... not so good
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 03:17:13 PM »
Welcome to the normal club :D  Many of us go through times when we think it's a big mistake - but the time does soon pass - honest.

Do read the FAQ section of this forum - lots of tips there about coping with all the training and don't worry. He's a baby and there's so much he has to learn but it takes time. If he's really driving you round the bend - and they do - do give him and yourself a time out - but do watch that he doesn't associate his crate with being naughty - you need him to like it there :wink: .

I can also recommend "The Perfect Puppy" it will help you sort the priorities out and work out where you maybe gping wrong and how to pull the wee fella into line. :D

Stick at it - it will get better if you stick at it. :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 03:39:07 PM »
Hi Jo

Please don't lose heart, it's such early days, I think everybody goes through a stage of thinking AAARRRGHH what have I done, but it does get better, I promise.

Woody needs to establish his place in the pecking order with time and effort it's easy to do, puppy's as young as 8 weeks can learn to sit and wait and not to snatch etc this is one of way teaching whose boss, also daily grooming is another way!! :D

As regards toilet training it is easier if you take him outside rather than on paper . As soon as he wakes up, after a meal or a drink, when he's been up and playing for 15 mins take him outside to a designated spot, as soon as he starts to pee say a word like " be quick " and praise him like crazy, he will soon associate the words with going to the loo! You can say anything you like it does'nt matter ( the americans say " Go Potty " ) When I say " be quick " to my two they go straight to the back door! 8)

Keep your chin up, in a months time you'll look back and laugh :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
So far ... not so good
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 04:00:33 PM »
Ir seems a lifetime ago that Lottie was just like this and I was being told to be patient and that it would all fall into place soon.  But when you have a 9 week old puppy acting like this (absolutely NORMAL by the way :wink:  :lol: ) it's hard to imagine that it will all span out in a couple of months time, but it will.  

I think most of us have thought that having a puppy would be a dream and we have such high expectations with regards our 'training skills' but it isn't quite so straight forward is it? :wink:

Everyone has given such good advice here and so I can only add that things really do get better.  With love and patience you're little bundle of mischief will soon be everything you wished for :D   Good luck :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 04:13:44 PM »
Oh Jo, thing's really will get better, I was so so lucky with Blue as a puppy, he was the model puppy so very good, always a chilled happy boy and now I have Bailey (11 weeks)! :shock:  :twisted:  :lol: his names are Bailey Bully, Bailey grump, and Bailey pig! he is so different, a little monster who thinks that my finger's are his tasty bones!, my house his personal toilet!, my nose - his toy and there to be chewed! but I know that given time and patience he will settle down, I know how difficult these little ones make it for us and there have been times when I too have thought  'what have I done' but please dont think that you are alone you can come here for a rant anytime or if you like pm me, and we can have a good old rant together :wink:  :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 04:54:09 PM »
Gosh I'm really feeling the love from you guys!!  Michelle - I burst out laughing when you described your Abby as an angel, a howling banshee and a biting satan dog!!!   :lol: Maybe Woody isn't quite so bad ... Andy got home from work half an hour ago and the two of them are having "boys time" watching the cricket together in the front room!  And I've been on the phone to our breeder for advice which was reassuring.  

I'm determined not to give up with him.  I think one of the best pieces of advice was that yes, I probably was chasing him when he went under the sofa and as such, it was "playing".  And also that his bed and crate should not be for punishment and he should like it there.  

He is a darling and has fitted in so well in so many other ways.   :D It's reassuring to know that I am not the only person to have gone through these difficulties but never having had children and this being my first ever puppy, I need to lighten up and stop blaming myself!!!   :wink:

So ... a BIG thanks from me and hopefully less of those angry "let me out of here NOW" barks from Woody and we'll get there.   :)

Will keep you posted when I get that first full night's sleep!!!   :wink:                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Laura

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 05:05:21 PM »
Do me a favour though everyone - remind me of all this when I am at the end of my tether in a few weeks!!  Am sure I am going to have to remind myself that it will get better...............................maybe Bailey comes with a halo? :twisted: Horns more like!!! :wink:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 06:23:53 PM »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with holes in my  fingers and bite marks on my nose!!! :D  Silas is exactly the same.We've only had him 2 weeks and I've lost count of the number of kitchen rolls we've gone through mopping up wee out of the carpet :roll: But I wouldn't change it for all the tea in china, he's a cracking little dog who I'm sure will grow up into an impeccably behaved gentleman :!:  :!:  :wink:

All our babies are roughly the same age, so it will be really interesting comparing how each one changes as they grow up.                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 06:37:17 PM »
I'm another who can sympathise.
Lottie is just perfection at times, playing happily or snuggling up on a lap.
The next minute she is all teeth, biting fingers, arms, toes...you name it.

I went through exactly the same thing with our lab, which was years ago but I remember it so clearly. My kids were young at the time and quite scared of the biting. This time is much better in that respect, we are all working to stop the biting.

We are also struggling with sleepless nights and the house training is hit and miss. She goes in the garden lots of the time, then another time will come in after a long play session and squat on the carpet.

I know it all gets better, so stick with it.

In a little while we will all have loveable, housetrained, obedient pups who don't bite.....until then we can all moan together :D                    

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 04:25:34 PM »
Nice to hear from you again Andrea - I sooo understand the kitchen roll dilemma - I bought 24 today!!!!   :shock:  :lol:

Have taken some of the advice posted already - and have ordered "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey which should arrive in the post on Monday.  Really looking forward to reading that - the reviews online looked great!!  Thanks for all the recommendations on that one - I really appreciate the advice.

Breakthrough again last night - little angel slept from 11 to 5.30 with no whining!!!  And we have discovered that by rustling his "treat bag" in the garden, he will "perform"!!!  Hurrah for Pavlov and his dogs!!!!!!   :lol:  Went to the pet shop this morning and stocked up on more of his treats - we could be on to a winner here!!

Seeing improvements every day - he is getting far happier at enjoying his own company and we can walk out of a room and leave him happily chewing a toy or snoozing and he doesn't feel the need to follow us in a panic!

So - all in all it's been a helluva week since Woody joined the family but I can't imagine life without him and I just know it's going to get better and better!   :wink:                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
So far ... not so good
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 04:28:14 PM »
I can now recomend the snuggle puppy :D Abby went to bed at 10.30 and got up to go outside at 6.30,  :D  :D So we went to pets at home and bought her and Billy another bag of toys and treats :roll: to celebrate joining the human race again!

Michelle