Author Topic: Why Why WHy  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« on: June 12, 2004, 10:40:16 AM »
Jazz is spoilt rotten, She has about 5 cuddly toys, loads of squeaky toys, a rawhide chew and about 4 of those multitextured chews.  This morning I have had a night mare with her picking up things she can't have with a firm no... and swapping then with nice squeaky... 'fun'toys.

however, she doesn't want any of these and is only interested in the remote control, my mobile phone or the sofa cushions... This morning I spayed some 'get off' spay onto the remote, and put it on the window sil.. well, after getting to of my bath, came back to watch live BB to find the remote in her drinking bowl.. I can't help but think she was trying to wash the smell off.. ;o)

I even poured all her toys onto the floor and was playing with them myself, to make her want them off me.. while I did this she brought the cushion from the front room lay half on it and start chewing the corner?

Whats a dog owner to do? apart from buy new cushions...                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 11:16:12 AM »
Oooops!    Sorry can't help laffing.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 11:51:24 AM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   This all sounds sooooo familiar!   It will sink in eventually, I promise!!  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Why Why WHy
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 12:07:40 PM »
It could also be that you're overwhelming her with toys. She doesn't know what is and isn't a toy! "Remote - oh you mean that bit of nice hard chewy plastic!" To her they're all the same.

She needs to be shown that her toys are her toys and for her fun. Play with her - play hide and seek with a toy - give her tasty treats when she finds and when she plays with her toys. She will learn but in the meantime join the how high can we go club :D leave nothing that she shouldn't have at a level she can reach - it's the only way. My Buddy was partial to one of our remotes :? Cost us a fortune to replace it :(                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Why Why WHy
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 01:49:45 PM »
I'm sooo glad Butty isn't really interested in other things...just her toys  :wink: oh and socks, knickers  :oops: , slippers, and the kids cuddly toys  :roll:                    

Offline T

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 02:28:56 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry for laughing too ... but I know what ya mean!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Charlie-Spud has a empty plastic pop bottle at the moment and is making an almighty racket with it!! His nice soft plush toy was just tossed aside in the mayhem!!  :(  

Ho-Hum! The joys of owning a cocker!  :wink:                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
Why Why WHy
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 04:20:42 PM »
We aren't having this problem at the moment although we have limited Woody's toys to just a few and we keep them in his pen so he knows they are is.  He does try and go for the remote control and a firm "no" seems to do the trick.  I think limiting his toys was a good idea - perhaps take a few away and then reintroduce them in a week or so when he's "forgotten" about them.  Oh - and we keep certain things out of reach (like my glasses!) so they can't be mistaken for puppy playthings!!!                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 06:45:39 PM »
She doesn't normally have access to all the toys she has, some are kept hidden and only brough out at certain times. For a playtime 'treat' I poured them all on the floor today to try and get her her attention away from the the other things..  She has about 5 toys in her toy box, and when shes on her best behaviour.. she goes to the box and picks up the toys and it makes me laugh, as i once was looking for her and she had jumped in the box an was lying down asleep.  

I suppose as with everything you always want the things you can't have..

Alan thinks i am mad as when she picked the remote, i got on the floor and picked he fluffy squeaky duck up and crawls away from her, she soon dropped the remote and decided she wanted her toys back...

Im just not sure i can do his often...

and i am amazed how high she can jump, i find myself putting things on the table, when shes not looking, otherwise when she follows me about her nose is in everything.                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Why Why WHy
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 04:34:28 PM »
Barnaby has a thing about plastic flower pots. He often rips the bottom out and sticks his nose in them, then he can't get thaem of, it is so funny! :lol:                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 04:06:06 PM »
With both our boys we limit the amount of freedom they could have (kitchen with a baby gate), and only allowed out if supervised. I know if I'm not watching properly then it's my fault that things happen (Jovi got the phone cable, must have looked like he was sleeping)...

I have been lucky as Neo wasn't interested in remote controls etc (only socks) and Jovi's the same (he just wants to play fight with Neo).

I would definitely advise not overwhelming with toys, rotate them and often the simplest things like an empty cardboard box or a bottle with some treats in, is more highly coveted then the cuddly/squeaky toys!                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline PennyB

Why Why WHy
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 05:02:01 PM »
My two have a toy box and I generally rotate their toys around rather than let them have them all at once. They were in heaven today as I found loads they hadn't seen for a while LOL                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 06:13:25 PM »
Oh dear :lol: .......This sounds familiar.

Lottie much prefers empty plastic bottles, cardboard rolls and dropped laundry to her own toys.

Reminds me of when my kids were little, they played with the wrapping and boxes and cast the toy aside :roll:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Why Why WHy
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 11:39:57 PM »
ahh ha ive had that nearly happen but with my mobile phone  :shock: flashy light was the problem . some cockers are just interested in figuring out what those things you play with all the time are  :lol: