Author Topic: Big Ben  (Read 1838 times)

Offline ellehcim

• Site Member
Big Ben
« on: July 05, 2004, 05:56:04 PM »
i am starting to get abit paranoid about comments from fellow human beings about the size of my ben, he is now 24 weeks and is on the chunky side, as he has been from the time we got him.

despite resassurances from the vet and his groomer ( who has 9 cockers ) that he is fine , i tend to feel very defensive when people say isn't he fat,

he is black and tan and his coat is quite fluffy still, not smooth and silky like roan cocker tend to be.

am i being oversensitive - i don't really want to put him on a diet as he does not have lots of titbits. just small slices of garlic sausage when training.

please help.

michelle
ps get new pc this week so will finally be able to show you all my baby  :D                    
1st time cocker owner

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 06:40:37 PM »
I should think that if your vet is happy with his weight then there isn't any cause for you to worry.
He is still a puppy and they often tend to be a little chunky.
I keep worrying that Lottie is a bit underweight and slim :D .......seems we all get concerned about our babies.
Lottie is black and tan too.

Do you know what weight he is, maybe if other members can compare his weight with their boys at that age and it's similar, then you might not worry so much. But if you aren't feeding titbits and he is on a good food then he's probably just going to be a big lad. :D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Big Ben
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 06:55:49 PM »
As long as you can feel his ribs through all that fluff then he's fine. Vets are normally very quick to pick up a dog that's getting a tad podgy - so if your vet says he's OK then he will be fine.

A check you can do yourself is to feel his rib cage. If you can feel his ribs - not like a ladder - but there - then he's fine. If you can't feel them - then he might be getting a big on the heavy side :D  If however you can very very clearly feel the ribs - then he might need to put weight on!! :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 06:56:12 PM »
Hi Ellehcim,

I have a big boy too and he's B&T, I last had him weighed at 12 weeks for his flea treatment and he was 6.75kg  :shock:

I'm not worried about him though as I know he is fit and healthy, has a good diet and plenty of excercise. Cockers dont come as a standard size,some are small framed like my Blue and some are Large like Ben and Bailey, and if your vet is happy with Ben then I would just enjoy your little bruiser! :wink:  :lol:

Here is a pic of Bailey so you can see what my little pudding is like :wink:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/Puppi...ies/Picture_077                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 08:16:13 PM »
Have just weighed Silas. He's 13 weeks tomorrow and weighs in at 6kg.
I was really surprised as he's not fat and a picky eater  .  
Like Maria said , I dont think you need to worry about him.                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
Big Ben
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 08:20:01 PM »
I wouldn't worry.  Our boy Dan is big, he's tall too, I think, like us they do vary in build.
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Big Ben
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:20:45 PM »
I wouldn't worry at all - puppy fluff tends to make a pup look fat when they're not! I had a pup come back for trimming on Saturday whose owners were worried he was fat as they'd had comments made about how plump this pup was getting. In fact, I felt he was on the skinny side if anything but his puppy coat made him look bigger :wink:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 09:25:21 PM »
People have been saying the same things to me. Jarvis is very decieving as his coat is also still very fluffy and sticks out all ways. Im not too worry as i know Jarvis doesn't get any tip bits and has a health diet and appetite.

Lorraine and Jarvis                    

Offline ellehcim

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 09:31:03 PM »
just did the 'ribs' test and they are definetly there.

i am going to the vets tommorow too for worming stuff, so i will need to get him weighed for that just to make sure.

thanks for the help   :D                    
1st time cocker owner

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 10:43:02 PM »
This has been discussed quite a few time before and I still prefer a chunky puppy.

Even though Otis  8) isn't the biggest boy in the world, he was very chunky and hairy as a pup, and although still hairy he is now, by no means fat  :D

This was him at 7 months  :D

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 11:02:48 PM »
Otis is gorgeous, he does'nt look fat to me, just nice and cuddly! :wink:  :D

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 10:24:16 AM »
Ooooh Otis is absolutely lovely. I could just give him a big cuddle.
I love pups to be chunky too.
Goldie was a chunky pup, but then I think most labs are :D
I just think Lottie is going to be a slim, little girl....she is quite small framed and even her face is quite small and slim.
Main thing is that they are healthy and happy as a puppy, then they will grow up into a lovely dog.                    

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 10:42:59 AM »
Wow - what a great picture!!  So .. that's how Woody will look in four months time!!  Mmmm - think he might be causing more trouble when he's that size!!                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline dsmandspanna

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 11:10:24 AM »
wow...he's gorgeeeoooos :D

i wish spanna would put more weight on....but i think she's just like  sheila's little lottie....a catwalk cutie...looks good in guci... 8)    

for those that read my underwight post...ive been introducing iams...as i cant get nutro out here......so i'll report back on the other post re-progress                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Big Ben
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 04:40:50 PM »
My Neo looked just like Otis, and he seemed right being 'chunky'.. or sturdy as I like to think of it.  My little Jovi at 5 months is a streak-a-leek.. all legs and skinny long body, not well conformed at all...  I can't wait for him to grow into himself.

Don't worry about his weight at this stage, I'm sure it's just that thick coat making him look like a fluff ball.. Look on the bright side, at least he has plenty of coat to mould into a beautiful adult dog!  :wink:

Tania (Neo and Jovi's Mum)                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)