Author Topic: Help with bad boy!!  (Read 1328 times)

Offline SarahJ

• Site Member
    • http://
Help with bad boy!!
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:02:16 PM »
Harvey is nearly 9 months old now yet he is still messing in the house! I walk him 3 times a day (including just before bedtime) which is when he normally does his business. He seems to have an aversion to going up the garden to do it. He sleeps in the lounge at night and at least 3 nights a week he will poo on the carpet (even though he has access to the kitchen). Shouldn't he have outgrown this by now?? I've tried ignoring him, smacking him, and even leaving him out in the garden but its just not working! It feels a bit like he's doing it on purpose now and I'm getting very down about it! The carpet is a wreck!!  HELP PLEASE!!  :cry:                    

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Help with bad boy!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 03:15:14 PM »
Hi,
My cocker seemed late she was 5-6 mths when we finally cracked it. Try feeding him earlier. We had to give Penny tea at 4pm because any later meant that she was unlikely to go through the night. Maybe a crate could be considered for the night time, or confining him to the kitchen,where the mess may be more easily removed.
From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Help with bad boy!!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 03:21:16 PM »
Sarah - You need to go right back to basics and treat him just as a new puppy. Have a look on the FAQ' at Toilet Training - it should help.

Do you still give lots of praise when Harvey goes outside? You should - in fact never stop it reinforces their good behaviour - without it they forget :?  :lol:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline SarahJ

• Site Member
Help with bad boy!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 09:22:41 PM »
We have a party each time he goes in the garden! I swear I've tried it all. Most times (sorry to get technical here) but its still warm like he's heard me getting out of bed and just done it before I have the chance to get downstairs! Its like he's making a point that he's upset at being left alone. Whoever said dogs were dumb!!!
He's only left at the most for 3 hours during the day with a walk beforehand but I can still be greeted with a present when I get back. How long is it before he realises he is the dog and I can't be there 24/7. AAARRRGGHHH!!!                    

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Help with bad boy!!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 09:54:30 PM »
Hi there
I would definately try confining him to a smaller area overnight, preferably a crate. Once he sees the crate as his 'den' he is unlikely to soil it. Can you not pen him somewhere if you dont have a crate so he doesnt have so much space? He wont like to be close the mess so will learn to wait till you give him access to the garden!  :?:
Sounds to me like he can hold it, he is just making a statement. IF he does make a mess then do not give him any attention at all...even to tell him off....cockers are attention seekers and whilst he may not like being told off you are giving him attention so he has won and will do that again cos mum spent a full 3 mins looking, talking and communicating with ME!  :)
Cheers
Janey, JessieCocker and Saffi Westie x                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Help with bad boy!!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 11:54:32 PM »
I praise and reward with chicken .. ham ect you will soon have a toilet trained dog :)
Physicaly take the dog out every so often and ask the dog to do its business . I say widdle  :lol:  but alot of people say go , or hurryup!. if the pup goes reward and make a big fuss . if pup dosent dont react at all .
eventully you will be able to ask .. do you want to go widdle and the dog should bark :) theres a bit more training to the barking bit though  :lol: master the first part and then progress to stage 2 . alot of people disagree with asking a dog to bark but it actully works .you have an alert that the dog needs to go . If my dog starts barking for no reason in the house she gets told no barking , but if its at the door then thats fine :) Shes not a big barker anyway  . i have a feeling its because We never allow her to go mental barking . that way we can tell if she wants the toilet , drink or dinner even walk . it comes in handy :)                    

Offline SarahJ

• Site Member
Help with bad boy!!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 09:56:06 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I think Janey hit the nail on the head:

Sounds to me like he can hold it, he is just making a statement

The problem with keeping Harvey where he doesn't want to be is that he howls - and not quietly, its enough to wake the neighbourhood so I can't really see the crate working! I think I have a very stubborn head-strong little man on my hands. Think I'll have to try the treats for being a good boy - see if that helps!

I'll let you know.  Thanks again...

Sarah.x                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Help with bad boy!!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 04:08:24 PM »
If he howls you should ignore him and only go to him when he's quiet.  Again if you go to him when he howls he knows that howling gets your attention.

Jovi would howl when we first had him and we all (incl. Neo) left him alone.  We used food to distract him, and built up the time he's alone.  In the morning one of us walk Neo and the other stays at home but leaves Jovi alone for the half hour of the walk, if he does make a noise we take no notice.  He has to know attention is given when we are ready not when he's demanding!!  :wink:

Now Jovi's 5 months old he barely makes a noise, so it has worked.  You just have to be strong and not cave in  :lol:                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)