Author Topic: Getting a dog crate  (Read 1449 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Getting a dog crate
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:45:58 PM »
Hi everyone

When we get our pup in August we are going to crate train (never done this before) - any advise on what to buy, what not to buy, what to avoid and does anyone know of any good places to go either in Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire on on the internet to get one, I presume I would need a medium one?

Wendy                    
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 04:04:02 PM »
Wendy

I just ordered mine from  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PET-SHOP-RUGELEY_...genameZl2QQtZkm

Very pleasent and helpfull on the phone and will take payment by check or over the phone

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 04:17:46 PM »
We used an internet pet supply company: www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk who were very good - we had the crate delivered within a few days and no hassles at all - might be worth a look anyway to check out different size options.                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 06:29:38 PM »
Hi Wendy

A crate is the best option for a puppy these days and you won't regret it.  Try http://www.doghealth.co.uk They are very good on prices and quality and helpful too if you phone the freephone tel no.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:11:53 PM »
I would suggest the minimum size suitable for a cocker is 24" x 18" x 21"  :D                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 11:44:10 PM »
We have the equivalent to a 30" crate for Brogan - he stands 17" at the shoulder.  It is big enough for him to lie out flat without too much extra room.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline markie and gang

• Site Member
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 08:08:23 PM »
So whats best size for a puppie?

24" or 30"... our crate will soleley be used for kipping and calm periods?

(sorry to hijack the thread!) :!:                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 10:06:02 PM »
WE got ours from Argos. This was the best value around we found... however, I would not suggest this for car travel too much, as it only opens one end, where as, the more expensive ones have a door on two sides.. depends what you want it for.. we do not use the crate in the car..

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 11:50:54 PM »
Depends on the final size of the dog - for a male or a larger female I would  go to a 30".  Brogan is a good sized cocker but not the biggest around (eh Pickle :lol:) Brogan cannot lie out flat or turn around easily in a 24" crate - certainly not with a bowl of water in there as well.  He would have outgrown a 24" crate by the time he was 5 months old as by then we had to remove the partition completely (we used a homemade partition that we moved back a bar or 2 every few weeks).

A 30" would definitely need to be made smaller for a puppy though at the start with a partition.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 11:53:42 AM »
I got mine from www.doghealth.co.uk when they were at Crufts earlier this year before bringing Jovi home (best value anywhere think it was on special only 20 quid).  We got the small one, but now Jovi is 5 months he really needs a bigger one, as he's got to tall.

I'll probably get a bigger crate for the house and keep the little one for the car.                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
Getting a dog crate
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 07:01:35 PM »
I also got a 30" crate from Doghealth on E bay for £36.00 inc. p&p.                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley