Author Topic: Hover And Hairdryer Fears  (Read 2076 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Hover And Hairdryer Fears
« on: August 27, 2004, 10:49:16 AM »
We had Finley for a week now  :)  :) - it's gone so fast and it has been a most enjoyable week.  Toilet training is progressing on very well only had two accidents in the house to date and none at night (famous last words!!!!).

I do have a question?  Finley is very fearful of the hoover when I put it on he runs into his puppy pen and hides - if he is already in the puppy pen when I start hoovering he hides behind the basket - any ideas on how to get him over this fear -I noticed that he did the same this morning when I put my hairdryer on.

I would appreciate any tips on how to handle this

Love Wendy and Finely (who is fast asleep)
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 10:55:17 AM »
I'd guess Finlay was probably reared outside & isn't used to the hoover yet ;) Best thing to do is not to react to his fear at all. Don't comfort him & don't stop hoovering or using the hairdryer - just carry on doing what you're doing, perhaps singing in a happy voice at the same time (yes I know this sounds silly but it works with our pups :lol:). Eventually, Finlay will get desensitized to the noise & will no longer react with fear.

Jane
Jane

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 11:02:19 AM »
Dont know about the hoover as Alfie also does a runner :) And anyway Im not so sure its such a bad thing cos at least I stand a chance of hoovering, unlike when Im trying to sweep and hes humping the broom  :lol:

Hes better with the hairdryer though because he has always been in the room with me when Ive used it. I want him to be used to that so I dont have trouble with drying him after a bath. So I started with him just in the room for a few days, then I moved closer to him whilst using it (I dry my hair standing), then I sat on a chair (getting closer) then the floor. The whole time of doing this I made sure he had a toy to play with and if he did start getting nervy at any stage I went back a step. Now he will accept it being directed at him from a distance - just ruffling his fur - and Im slowly getting closer to him. This has been a slow process, every other day for 5 weeks and hes having his first bath this weekend so I hope Ive done enough :)

Caroline and Alfie

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 12:53:17 PM »
you could try leaving the hoover in the same room as him put it in the corner or something ( not switched on lol ). Maybe put a few treats on the hoover so he goes near it  and maybe feeding him next to it aswell so he see that the hoover is no threat to him.

good luck dillydolly  :D  

Offline markie and gang

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »
you could try leaving the hoover in the same room as him put it in the corner or something ( not switched on lol ). Maybe put a few treats on the hoover so he goes near it  and maybe feeding him next to it aswell so he see that the hoover is no threat to him.

good luck dillydolly  :D
Funny enough we left the hoover on the floor switched of all morning for Leyton. He sniffed and nibbled it and then left it alone.

When I started the hoover up he just sat down and watched me :D  so maybe it works?

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 01:00:07 PM »
Molly is 14 months now and is terrified of the hoover and hairdryer (maybe I don't hoover enough :lol: )  When I bring it out of the cupboard she runs straight to the back door to get out until I've finished.  It was too wet to let her out once and she jumped on the sofa and pee'd in terror.  As for the hairdryer - not a chance :rolleyes:   So unfortunately I can't offer any advice but can only sympathise with you.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 01:09:24 PM »
I wish mine were scared! I have an entourage of cockers who trip me up at every move while I'm hoovering and follow my every move. I once accidentally sucked Ruby's ear up into the hose and while she was startled it didn't put her off LOL
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
Woody doesn't like the hoover at all and always goes and hides behind the sofa (so that bit isn't getting very clean!!   :lol: ) but it does mean I can get on with the job!  We also have "Mr Brush" who Woody takes great delight at barking at whenever I get it out of the cupboard to do a quick sweep around!  Don't have the hairdryer problem because we don't let W upstairs and I tend to do my hair in the bedroom.  Both our cats run for the hills whenever the hoover comes out so I guess I'm not overly worried if Woody isn't keen either.   ;)  
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 02:51:32 PM »
musy be a cocker trait cos Honey hate the hoover and hairdryer she barks for england at the hairdryer but hides in the garden when im hoovering  ;)  she likes the tools of the hoover she pinches them and hides them in her bed  :lol:

Ruth and Honey

ziggy

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 07:56:48 PM »
I wish mine were scared! I have an entourage of cockers who trip me up at every move while I'm hoovering and follow my every move. I once accidentally sucked Ruby's ear up into the hose and while she was startled it didn't put her off LOL
sorry but that did make me laugh,had a vision of ruby,s face not looking to impressed :lol:

ziggy and jasperxxxx

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 10:31:41 PM »
:P Bailey hates the hoover too and the hairdryer, i only have to touch the hoover and he does a runner, however Bailey is really nervous for some reason dont know why. It may be due to him only being 8months though. <_<  
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 10:58:59 PM »
Indie is not so keen on our new hoover, she was fine with the old one <_<  perhaps this one, isn't to her taste :D   She doesn't bark at it or run off, she will just stay well clear of me and the hoover, mind you I can't say I blame her, its really noisey :wacko:   She is fine with the hairdryer, in fact she loves it!

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 11:40:30 AM »
My two are not bothered by the hoover or the hairdryer  :D

If I use the hairdryer, both of them come and sit in the hallway where I dry my hair, not bothered in the least.

As for the hoovering, Aimee just sits on the sofa watching me, and Wesley just potters arround getting under my feet. Yesterday I thought I would have some fun with him. As I was using the hose attachment, and he was under my feet, I hoovered his coat. He loved it and my hover is a Dyson so its quite powerful. When I stopped, he was jumping up for more, the silly mutt.  :D

He followed the hoover for the rest of my cleaning session  :D

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 10:23:25 AM »
.....Sammy too, it must be a cocker thing, not that I've owned any other dog b4 :D
It didn't bother him when we first got him, just the last 3 months or so.... ! He runs outside until i've done. He sleeps in his bed in the kitchen and the hoover is across the room, but he has never touched it as far as I'm aware, he just runs when I go to plug it in then----woosh----->> out the door.... :rolleyes:  
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 11:10:51 AM »
Just thought I let you all know we have cracked the hairdryer fear.  We are working on the Hoover putting toys on it etc, however he still runs away to his puppy pen the moment I put it on.
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart