Author Topic: Toilet Training Advice Please  (Read 1106 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Toilet Training Advice Please
« on: September 08, 2004, 04:12:52 PM »
Hi everyone it me again - as you know Finley has been doing very well in the toilet training area - asks to go out etc - however since his 2nd injection on Monday which has made him unwell he has gone to no 2's in our dining room three times today - first I though he just got caught short, did it a second time today and then just now after his sleep took him out he did a wee came in and did no 2's in our dining room - help how do I break him of this habbit it especially bad as his poo is runny (sorry to be so graphic). I thought we were doing so well.  
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:08:58 PM »
First off all I wouldnt panic, its a little blip not nessecarily a step back. Alfie would be clean for four or five days and then he would go a whole day using the floor no matter how much time he had outside, I sometime think they do it just to see how far they can push it :)

As you say hes not been too well and may just be feeling clingy so nows the time to reinforce the basics.

Id personally would not make a fuss and just clean it up. And I would up the amount of times he was outside for a few days and really go to town on the praise when he does his business outside.

Caroline and Alfie

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 05:17:34 PM »
Hi Wendy,

I really wouldn't worry at this stage. He's still only very young and by the sound of it is doing very well.  I know how easy it is to panic when they have an accident but try not to. Evie is 8 months old and still has the occasional mishap <_<

Also I think we can be lulled into a false sense of security, thinking they've cracked it and we stop being as efficient in watching them and when they do have an accident we blame them :blink: I know I am guilty of this :P  

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Sue H

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 07:09:57 PM »
It is also very easy at this time of year to just leave the door open and imagine that they are going to go out and toilet....

They still need the reinforcement of you taking them out and saying your magic words (busy, busy - or - do jobbies - or whatever) and there needs to be a clear barrier between outside and inside, otherwise they forget!!  They may not have had enough experience (again, because summer is laid-back) of actually asking to go out, and this may confuse them.

Remember to never punish, but rather congratulate when they do use an appropriate place to toilet, as positive encouragement works a million times better than you being cross with them for doing something they don't perceive as wrong!  I know it's difficult when you walk into a room and find a lovely steaming pile of liquid sh"t to clean up - you just have to remember they are a baby and this is only going to be for a short time, and they are never going to be so little again!!!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 07:23:54 PM »
I would also add you need to really clean the area he's used. Use a biological detergent - nothing with ammonia in and then a really good dousing with extra strength Febreze. I'm sure you have cleaned it but dogs can smell even when we can't and if he gets a scent of having been before it can encourage them to go again.

Hope he's better now tho. It's such a shame that thier vacc's can upset them so :(  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 11:03:04 PM »
Alfie`s doing well 1 day no accidents next day may be 3 ,we just clean up saying nothing (sometimes Alfie watches with that face: wow who did that there oh dearie me not good is it mum :rolleyes: ),it has to be said having a hoover type carpet cleaner to clean and suck up all the wee`s and marks from the 2`s makes life sooo easy still ,i would highly recommend 1,it takes all the stress and worry that the house is smelly and getting that damp dog smell.still no matter what he does we love him to bits we really can`t help it :D  :D  
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 03:26:26 PM »
Woody is 99% toilet trained and I say 99% because there's always that 1% error!!  He's getting very good at just going outside when the back door is open, or asking for us to open the door if it's shut (like at the mo - have you SEEN the rain?!) but we've found his latest trick is to get our attention before he does his business because if we don't see him, he doesn't always get a treat!!!  Cheeky little chap!   :rolleyes:

Just keep at it - every time he leaves the room, follow him and pick up a treat on the way out the door so you can reward him as soon as possible!!  Oh and failing that, take out shares in Bounty Kitchen Rolls .. we must have increased their profit tenfold in the last five months!!!   :lol:

The only other thing is that we've found excitement is responsible for most of his accidents (like when we took too long getting our shopping out of the car and into the house before letting him out of his pen and boy did we regret the delay!!!)  <_<

Jo, Woody\'s owner

ziggy

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 03:58:04 PM »
sue,we went out today and bought a hoover type cleaner for that very reason,although mabel is great,she does have the odd accident here and there,but that,s my fault,if i,m not watching,and she needs to go well,then the floor will do i s,pose :lol: i go out with her every hour or so and treat her when she,s done,but it,s hard sometimes if i,m working and can,t follow her straight away ,overrall i,m pleased with her progress,i thought that if she could smell wee on the floor still or on the rug she may go back there and do it again,so that,s where the cleaner comes in,puppies eh,,they cost you a packet,worth it though ;)  :lol: