Author Topic: Good couple of days  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Good couple of days
« on: July 23, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »
As the title suggests, we have had a good couple of days. My wife has curbed the crooning a bit and the kids are trying to go about their normal business.

Rusty has seemed better for it. Obviously he has his moments, but we have allocated a new sin-bin for him - the porch! Its a lot smaller than the kitchen and has nothing in it that can pacify him, so he has responded quite well and he has mellowed out a bit.

We are really pleased. :)  Almost smug in fact.

His toilet training is, compared to what we've heard/read from others, well ahead. We've had a few dry nights now and thats him getting settled into his bed at 11pm. First we hear him is it 7 am, so thats a full 8 hours  :D and he hasn't pee'd in the house for days now and heads straight outside when he needs it.

He will sit on command.  :D

He is coming on well with his fetch  :)

And is now lying down on command, most times  :)

So, we are getting there. Of course this could all go to the wall as quick as it came, but fingers crossed.  8)

Many thanks everyone for all your continuing support.

Mick, Elle & Rusty                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Good couple of days
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 10:09:35 PM »
That's very good news :) Don't worry if you still have a few setbacks in the months to come - it's often 2 steps forward 1 step back with puppies but at least you can see you're making progress now & there is light at the end of that tunnel :wink:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Good couple of days
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 10:18:59 PM »
Thats fantastic news :) :)

Well done for not giving up and its great to see your hard work being rewarded

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Good couple of days
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 10:31:16 PM »

Well done Rusty, and well done to your whole family for sticking with you!

I am so looking forward to Molo coming home, but have been reading your posts with him in mind; so I hope you will help when I am at the end of my tether in a few weeks  :shock: !

Hope it stays positive for you - certainly you seem to have done wonders with house training - brilliant!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Good couple of days
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 11:11:40 PM »
Thats such good news...as Jane says sometimes they decide to take a backward step  :wink:  but just keep in mind that all this is worth it  :wink:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Good couple of days
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 11:57:22 PM »
Well done for persevering, it seems like its all coming together at last. As already mentioned he may have a set back or two but at least he's heading in the right direction.
Pat on the back for you all  :D                    

Offline PennyB

Good couple of days
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 01:34:33 AM »
That's very good news :) Don't worry if you still have a few setbacks in the months to come - it's often 2 steps forward 1 step back with puppies but at least you can see you're making progress now & there is light at the end of that tunnel :wink:

Jane

and you have to go back to basics again as these cockers like to keep you on your toes (you'll begin to realise that good or bad, cockers always have a few surprises up their sleeves).

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Good couple of days
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 08:55:05 AM »
That's so nice to hear Mick,

I have been concerened for you a couple of times when you seemed at the end of your tether :( But Rusty sounds like he's responding very well to training, keep at it and you will reap the rewards :wink: !

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Good couple of days
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 09:24:13 AM »
Hi all,

Well another dry night  :D  In fact he went from 11pmish to 8-15am this morning, so we had a long lie!! :shock:

The house has calmed down, we have spoken to the kids to take a step back slightly which has helped.

Even at the park the past couple of days, he's seemed happier and is willing to play instead of growling and snapping.

Ooops, just had to put him in the sin-bin there for aggresiveness.  :?

He's a very sociable pup and is always willing to meet new people and their dogs. I think he thinks he's bigger than he is, as nothing fazes him, he's so bold its unbelievable  :shock:

Thanks for the replies all.  :wink:

Mick Elle & Rusty                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Good couple of days
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 09:30:24 AM »
This is great Mick.

Not to repeat too much what's been said - but do be prepared for the backward steps that do happen. The big thing for you to remember is to keep it up. Keep praising him when he's done something good. For example - so many people ask why their pup's forgotten all about toilet training. It is just that - they have forgotten - the praise helps keep it fresh in their minds. The same applies to all displays of good behaviour. They need to know what it is you want from them.

I am so pleased to see you have had some time to enjoy Rusty and see what it can be like - keep it up and enjoy :D  :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Good couple of days
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 10:14:58 AM »
Yay! I'm so pleased to hear that!

I remember reading your posts and you sounded so down, exactly the way I felt with our scamp, but he's now an angel. I hope it continues to get better, but remember like others said he may have wee hiccups now and then, but I'm delighted for you.

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Good couple of days
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 11:14:32 AM »
That’s great to hear :D !!                    

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Good couple of days
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 07:27:25 PM »
Thanks for all your support everyone.  8)

At the park today and Rusty being Rusty thinks he's about 6 foot tall and wide, tries to 'sort out' a bigger dog.  :?

The bigger dog, which is a cross Staffy and Lab, so obviously big and well built, gives him an easy time. Rusty's barking like a looney and running about jumping up and down in front of the big chap, soon gets brought down to size with a quick "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghh" and a big bark. Whoah, he got a fright, but I personally think thats not a bad thing. Aye right, so we think he got a fright. Two seconds later he's at it again. Fortunately the owner was very nice and explained that her dog is very good with pups, so we keep a close eye on the big dogs actions, as obviously we don't know the dog, but he does appear not to be too bothered.

So, what do you guys think?

I'm under the impression that its good for Rusty too learn respect for other dogs, but my wife was a bit worried in case he's "mentally scarred"!

To be honest Rusty wasn't bothered his backside, so I don't think its a bad thing. Obviously it would be nice to know the bigger dog and know how he reacts to young whippersnappers.

Mick Elle & Rusty                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Good couple of days
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2004, 07:34:42 PM »
Rusty needs to get to know other dogs - as long as he's safe!! Often an older dog will put a pup in it's place and that is not a bad thing - the main thing is that Rusty is not at risk as an attack could cause long term problems.

I'd be looking to get him into some training classes where exposrue to other dogs is in a slightly more controlled environment :)  in theory anyway :lol:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Good couple of days
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2004, 09:08:56 PM »
Pammy,

We have been trying to get him into socialization classes. Our Vet doesn't do them and others Vets require Rusty to be registered with them  :?

We have contacted a few people for obiedience/socialization and it would seem, at least the ones that have got back to us, that they are 'full'!?!  :shock:  Surely one more wee pup wouldn't hurt?

We have to wait.

In the meantime, we are letting him get to know the lab pup over the back from us. She is a couple of weeks older than Rusty, so that is good for both of them. Last time they met, the lab was overwhelmed with Rusty, as I said before he is very bold! So it wasn't fair on the lab, so we took him back in.  :?

We will endeavour to get the puppy classes sorted though.

Thanks  :wink:

Mick Elle & Rusty