Author Topic: Advice On Grooming  (Read 1446 times)

Offline John P

• Site Member
    • http://
Advice On Grooming
« on: April 27, 2005, 03:02:16 PM »
We will shortly be welcoming Pebbles into our family. I obviously want to get him used to grooming from an early age and so would welcome any advice on how to go about this. On the advice of my breeder I've bought the following kit

Spratts 72 comb
Spratts 76 comb
Tendercare Medium Slicker
Isinis 212 Bristle brush
Gotta 65 Thinning Scissors
Diamond Edge 435 6.5" Scissors
Coat King 26 Blade

Can anyone tell me if there's anything else they would recommend and if this is all OK to use from the start with Pebbles. It would also be extremely useful if anybody could supply me with a reference point to learn how to groom properly and how frequently. We don't intend to show Pebbles and will aim to get him professionally groomed and stripped as required (again can someone recommend how frequently we should do this)

Many thanks
John, Jane, Tom and Katie

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Advice On Grooming
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:20:19 PM »
Hi John,

Welcome to COL ;)   You're certainly preparing yourself for the grooming lark ;)  You won't need much equipement until Pebbles is about 6 months old and his coat starts to give.  Up until then it's a good idea to grooming him on a daily basis to get him used it.  Just brush him a little bit daily for couple of minutes.  It's ideal if you have a good steady surface to do this on, preferably a table, nothing that wobbles that would unnerve him ;)

Although you won't need the scissors yet either, some people pretend to use them around their paws etc., again to get him used to the idea.  I also bathed Lottie from an early age too (still not overly fussed even now though :rolleyes: )

This will do for the first few months until the coat gives.

We don't intend to show Pebbles and will aim to get him professionally groomed and stripped as required (again can someone recommend how frequently we should do this)

Many thanks
[snapback]121421[/snapback]

With the equipment you have so far, you are off to a good start and with plenty of help and advice I'm sure you won't need a professional ;)

Mary

Just to add, their are some good tips on grooming at the top of the grooming section.  Here's the one on the equipment you will need:

Equipement
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Advice On Grooming
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 06:54:07 PM »
Although you won't need the scissors yet either, some people pretend to use them around their paws etc., again to get him used to the idea.  I also bathed Lottie from an early age too (still not overly fussed even now though :rolleyes: )

I would recommend using the comb on his ears every day, and pretending to use the scissors right up near the ear hole. Molos breeder recommended this, and Molo ADORES having his ears groomed now, and doesn't flinch when I trim the hair underneath either.

You are certainly well prepared - I have to confess that although I groom Molo myself, I do not have half of the equipment you do  :rolleyes:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline MummyJane

• Site Member
Advice On Grooming
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 07:15:08 PM »
Hi,

With a little help from your breeder and the guys on COL you should be able to keep on top of grooming yourself.  I was expecting to have to take Alfie to a groomer once in a while but so far it has been easy enough to do it myself (and cheaper although I have a long way to go before I can do it like some people on here :P )

Best of luck, you certainly have all the equipment, I bet you can't wait to have your pup home  :wub:

Jane x

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Advice On Grooming
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 07:18:26 PM »
mm - interesting. I KNOW I posted a response to this straight after Mary.

I advised to practice snipping the scissors near the ears so they get used to the sound. Makes it easier when you are cutting for real. hth :D
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

sweetie

Advice On Grooming
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 07:45:35 PM »
hi john,i only ever attempted to groom my two after i learned and saw pics of beautiful cockers on here ;)
it was a massive help,and i,m pleased to say they look fab now :D
i,m sure you will have no probs,,everyone on here is so helpful,and it,s brill advice ;) xx

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Advice On Grooming
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 07:59:04 PM »
hi john,i only ever attempted to groom my two after i learned and saw pics of beautiful cockers on here ;)
it was a massive help,and i,m pleased to say they look fab now :D
[snapback]121576[/snapback]

It's true, they do  :D !  I have seen Jasper and Mabes and they are beautifully trimmed and lovely dogs.  A real credit to you Ziggy.

:wub: from Tilly

Sue

sweetie

Advice On Grooming
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 08:03:45 PM »
aww thanks very much sue ;) xxxx

Penel

Advice On Grooming
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 11:35:18 PM »
I too used to have my cockers groomed by someone else, until one day the groomer let me down - and I thought -  right I shall do this myself then !  I get a much better result with Tilly than she did :)   Quite a lot of "pet" groomers seem to be more keen on speed, than end result - and using clippers on all cockers just isn't right.  In fact I introduced this particular groomer to a Coat King !!!!!  so with a Coat King and thinning scissors I am more than happy to groom Tils myself now.  Oh also - the metal wide toothed comb, with elastic band threaded through the teeth - thats a fab tool - and really cheap too !!!

Offline John P

• Site Member
Advice On Grooming
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 01:58:50 PM »
:D Many thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to the grooming!

Should I use a soft brush on Pebbles to start with or am I OK to use the same brush right from the start

Many thanks
John, Jane, Tom and Katie

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Advice On Grooming
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 08:32:47 AM »
Pepsi's only 12 weeks and we've had to trim her paws already! They had become quite unruly! She was a bit of a fidget but it wasn't too hard. She tries to chew the brush/comb at the moment.