Author Topic: Lip Folds  (Read 5715 times)

Offline Sweepdog

• Site Member
Lip Folds
« on: June 19, 2003, 08:20:54 PM »
Does anybody else have th ???is problems? Basically folds of skin at the side of the mouth, which constantly need cleaning or become infected very quickly! (Very smelly too!!)  ???
Sweep started with them about a year ago (he's 11 now) the vet just keeps prescribing more antibiotics                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Lip Folds
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 08:28:46 PM »
Yep hang on Sweepdog, this has been discussed quite recently and I'll se if I can find the thread for you  :)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Lip Folds
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 08:32:02 PM »
Hi Sweepdog, heres the thread regarding this condition, hope this might be of some help.

Gilly
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1860;start=0

PS, why not introduce yourself and your cocker on the Introductions Board, welcome to COL. :D                    

Offline Sweepdog

• Site Member
Lip Folds
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 08:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the thread, just interested to know if surgery is the best cure. My vet has never suggested it, although he has them on both sides and they flare up quite often?? God he can be pongy!!                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Lip Folds
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 08:45:51 PM »
Sorry Sweepdog, that link is working now ::)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Lip Folds
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 11:00:45 PM »
Sometimes surgery is the best option if your dog is getting continual flare-ups - after a while, antibiotics do lose their effectiveness unfortunately. I have several grooming "clients" who have had the lip-fold op successfully & no longer have trouble with pongy, sore mouths ;) It depends on how severe the problem is really. Some owners can keep the problem at bay with things like antibacterial cleansers (eg Hibiscrub) & various antiseptic creams, others swear by diluted peroxide to keep the folds clean. There are also homeopathic remedies like Graphites which can be helpful.                    
Jane

Offline Sweepdog

• Site Member
Lip Folds
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 05:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice . Have been using Hibiscrub and fuciderm cream for ever but things do't seem to be getting any less smelly!!
Where would you get hold of diluted peroxide or Graphites?? and how is that supposed to work?? Have never really had this suggested b4. I am willing to give anything a try. Not too keen on surgery as he is 11 and 1/2, very healthy but would rather not put him through it if I can avoid it. ???                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Lip Folds
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 07:20:16 PM »
You can get the more usual homeopathic remedies like Graphites in most branches of Boots these days, plus health food stores etc. If you are new to homeopathic remedies, it's probably best to do a little reading beforehand - main things to remember, don't touch the pills with your hands if poss, don't add to food or water & don't expect miracles ;) Homeopathic remedies can be effective sometimes but not always. Have a look at this page for a basic intro to homeopathy for pets:http://www.alternativevet.org/homeopathy.htm

Hydrogen Peroxide solution (20 vol) can be obtained from chemists - dilute 2 parts water to 1 part peroxide. This is an old-fashioned remedy but many people swear by it - be careful though as Hydrogen Peroxide is bleach!                    
Jane

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Lip Folds
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 11:42:25 AM »
Hi Sweepdog

My old dog Jamie had the surgery when he was 10ish.  I was using antibiotics and iodine solution to clean, but it was a losing battle as he developed ulcers under the folds.  Personally, I would recommend surgery for bad cases - my dog was so much happier afterwards and it completely solved the problem.

Helen                    

Offline Sweepdog

• Site Member
Lip Folds
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2003, 09:16:14 PM »
Hi Helen

Thanks for the advice. Took Sweepo to the vets on Friday for yet more antibiotics. I enquired about surgery and she suggested a blood test to check if he'd be ok to have surgery, due to his age. Will have to have a good think b4 I put him under the knife!!                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Lip Folds
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 08:52:43 AM »
One of my girls gets infected folds - but only occassionally so not as severe as you are discussing.

We have treated it successfully our selves in the past by cleaning the folds with TCP on a cotton wool pad.                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Sweepdog

• Site Member
Lip Folds
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 04:25:52 PM »
The anti biotics have worked a treat and the smell has gone ;D ;D
(Well for now at least) Tcp won't do anything for him, we have tried that in the past, but thanks anyway.                    

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Lip Folds
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 09:02:08 PM »
The trouble with antibiotics is that they only work for a certain time (after many doses, they don't work) and they treat rather than solve the underlying problem.  Your dog could live to 16/17 (as mine did) and may have this problem for the rest of his life - getting harder to treat.  I know you don't like the idea, but I would seriously consider having the surgery now, before he gets older.  My Jamie had regular anesthestic up to the age of about 14 because, as well as the cocker mouth problem, he had gum disease and needed his teeth cleaning every 6 months. If the cocker mouth is serious, it would be better being sorted once and for all, now.                    

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Lip Folds
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 09:54:13 PM »
Hi
I couldn't get that link (above) to work. Has it moved since the new upload?? Could do with reading it cos fudge's lip folds wont clear up (2 antibiotics later). Where can we get hibiscrub??
Thanks                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Lip Folds
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 10:17:47 PM »
Hi
 Where can we get hibiscrub??
Thanks

Try your local chemists - they may have to order it but should only take a day. A 500ml bottle should cost you less than £3 - a lot cheaper than getting it from the vets.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional