Author Topic: Shake And Vac  (Read 11414 times)

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Shake And Vac
« on: January 05, 2005, 10:33:14 PM »
i was talking to someone today (doggy talk)  and i was told that the product shake and vac is a major cause of skin irritations as there border collie had  been to the vet with a skin problem and this was mentioned as a possible culprit, i know that any chemical can be harmfull , but surley a carpet product and one that is said to keep pet smells at bay should be safe for animals, i myself do not use it, but i was thincking if anyone else had any views or experiances of this shake and vac.
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Shake And Vac
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 10:53:10 PM »
Fudge got a strange skin irritation the day after I used Shake and Vac for the first time in our house. When the vet saw her he said 'You used Shake and Vac didn't you?'!!!!! Thing is the irritation stayed for ages, we ended up changing her diet and everything. It seems that it acts as a trigger perhaps.  
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
Shake And Vac
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 10:56:50 PM »
When I got Tara from the RSPCA, I was told she had an allergy to Shake and Vac and those type of products so I have made sure we have avoided using those products in our house.
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Shake And Vac
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 10:58:32 PM »
I also hate to think what it can do to carpets :(

Bicarb of soda is a good carpet freshener/cleaner. Sprinkle over, leave overnight and hoover off in the morning. Make sure you get an even coverage as it will lighten areas that its lifted the dirt from
Caroline and Alfie

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Shake And Vac
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 11:04:45 PM »
yes my mother in law uses bicarb, and swears by it, so i am going to give it ago,
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
Shake And Vac
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 09:11:25 AM »
Yes I must admit when we got Philips first guide dog, Belle, who is now retired, we used shake and vac and were asked by guide dogs to stop using it before Belle came to live with us as it was known that dogs were very sensitive to it and that it caused problems with sore paws and that it could trigger reactions off elsewhere..... So we have not used it for nearly 9 years now....  I missed it to begin with as I used it whenever hoovered.... but bicarb is an excellent substitute  :)  
Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Shake And Vac
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 12:22:56 PM »
A carpet freshener nearly killed Livvy. Never bothered Cleo but Livvy finished up at the vets at midnight.
All she did was walk across it once, at around 10pm. Within minutes her feet swelled up, her ladies bits swelled up, and because she tried to clean herself, her face, mouth and throat swelled up. Her face looked like a ball, no definition, and her eyes turned to slits. Her airway closed up and collasped. I'm not making it sound any more dramatic that it was. Her skin was red hot and scarlet. She had a couple of injections, not sure what they were, I was in too much of a state, but within an hour, the swelling had started to go down.
Obviously, I've never touched the stuff again. I don't use spray air fresheners either. We burn candles and open windows a lot.
Love from Karen and Livvy

scoobie

Shake And Vac
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 01:39:08 PM »
Karen thats awful :o poor Livvy
I never use anything like that and I also burn candles insence sticks etc never use air freshner from the tin after reading this and all your experiences I never will ;)  

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Shake And Vac
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »
A carpet freshener nearly killed Livvy. Never bothered Cleo but Livvy finished up at the vets at midnight.

OMG thats awful  :(

I've used Shake n Vac (occasionally) for years. Its never had any effect on any of my dogs (2 springers and 2 cockers over the years) but I haven't used it since Oscar came to live with us. I wouldn't dare use it now after reading about Livvy  :(

I never use anything like that and I also burn candles insence sticks etc never use air freshner from the tin

Oh God! And I'm a big air freshener freak. I have plug in ones in every plug socket and free standing ones around the house and I use spray tins too  :ph34r:  (Ok so I'm paranoid that other people will think my house smells....but it is for sale at the moment  :lol: !!!!) Does anyone know a safe way to get rid of those adorable doggy odours?
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Shake And Vac
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 04:20:41 PM »
I never use air fresheners fly sprays or any other chemical   i'm allergic, we use a a steam cleaner, we zapp the carpet, and just a few puffs in  each room, realy freshens the air. :)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Shake And Vac
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 04:34:01 PM »
It's like most things. Most are OK with the products but some are allergic and depending on the products some will cause more allergies among more animals than others.

I think the main prob with Shake and Vac type products is that the nature of them means they will and do come in contact with animals skin. Sensitive pets are therefore more likely to have a reaction :(

Personally - I used Shake and Vac once many years ago but didn't like it so haven't used it since. Carpets get a spot shampoo as necessary, with a full clean when they need it. Routinely, plenty of vacuuming and then Air Freshener if I can't have the windows open. Best bet - move to solid flooring :D  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Penel

Shake And Vac
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 05:46:56 PM »
My dogs don't smell at all - really they don't.  Whether its because they are raw fed I don't know - but I don't have air fresheners - having had a dog with a serious auto immune disease you learn not to have any chemical triggers around.  Lola also has a skin problem so again, we don't use anything chemically - we use Ecover washing liquid for all our clothes and the dogs towels / beds etc - we have (real) wooden floors and wool rugs which I hoover ..... I do burn the odd incense stick or aromatherapy oil thingy - but only cos I like the smell, not to mask a doggy odour !

Sue H

Shake And Vac
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »
I have very occasionally used generic carpet fresheners, but mostly if I am trying to get rid of lingering smells, use spray fresheners ie Neutradol, Dettox or Refresh etc.  If you have ever used carpet fresheners, even after you have vaccuumed there are still little gritty bits which linger on, and you can feel them if you wander about in bare feet like I tend to do !!

Mind you, I recently spent my Mummy's Xmas money on a Dyson Animal, and we can't stop getting it out to play with it - we are alternately appalled and proud of the amount of stuff it is getting out of our sooo neglected carpets!!!

I bet that it would eat Shake 'n Vac like the Hunny Monster eats his breakfast!!!

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Shake And Vac
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 03:18:33 PM »
I've never tried it, but someone told me once thet you can use bicarb like a carpet freshener. It's not supposed to leave a nice lingering smell, but it's supposed to neutralise smills in your carpet.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Shake And Vac
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 03:46:43 PM »
I have very occasionally used generic carpet fresheners, but mostly if I am trying to get rid of lingering smells, use spray fresheners ie Neutradol, Dettox or Refresh etc.  If you have ever used carpet fresheners, even after you have vaccuumed there are still little gritty bits which linger on, and you can feel them if you wander about in bare feet like I tend to do !!

Mind you, I recently spent my Mummy's Xmas money on a Dyson Animal, and we can't stop getting it out to play with it - we are alternately appalled and proud of the amount of stuff it is getting out of our sooo neglected carpets!!!

I bet that it would eat Shake 'n Vac like the Hunny Monster eats his breakfast!!!
Sue, don't ever use your dyson with shake and vsac - my pal's blew up and they wouldn't replace it because she'd used it, as they say in the instructions not to apparently. It blocks something in dysons.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)