Author Topic: Treats suitable for pups  (Read 2091 times)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« on: February 26, 2004, 05:42:31 PM »
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few training treats for Pickle? I tried using his JWB kibble, but he looks at me as if to say 'is that it? I'm not lying down for a piece of that!'. In the pet shop today a lady gave him a piece of dried liver, which he loved, so she gave him some more. However he then proceeded to puke this up in the car - nice! Is dried liver perhaps too rich for an 18wk old pup?
I thought about using cheese, which he loves, but I need to use quite a lot of treats to get the wee monkey to do anything, and don't want him to get fat! Also cheese doesn't travel well in the pockets when we're training outside! Any good ideas??
Thanks, Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 08:47:19 PM »
Hi Emma

I used Schmackos with Morgan as they can be broken into tiny pieces - just a taste  :lol:   He also loves hotdog sausages cut into tiny bits - well he'd prefer them whole but he'll have to learn to sing and dance before he gets that  :lol:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline PennyB

Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 12:12:14 AM »
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few training treats for Pickle? I tried using his JWB kibble, but he looks at me as if to say 'is that it? I'm not lying down for a piece of that!'. In the pet shop today a lady gave him a piece of dried liver, which he loved, so she gave him some more. However he then proceeded to puke this up in the car - nice! Is dried liver perhaps too rich for an 18wk old pup?  
I thought about using cheese, which he loves, but I need to use quite a lot of treats to get the wee monkey to do anything, and don't want him to get fat! Also cheese doesn't travel well in the pockets when we're training outside! Any good ideas??
Thanks, Emma and Pickle xx

Awful to say but could he have just been car sick (Ruby isn't usually but recently she threw up over a friends car for what I can see is no reason other than that trip itself). Have you tried liver before, without the car journey. I've always used schmachos for the same reason as Shirley and occasionally I use hot dog sausages (cut up of course) and cheese.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 07:46:05 AM »
I use whatever I happen to have  :lol:  (cheese, sausages, schmackos etc). However, there is one rule. I never use the food they eat daily as treats.                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 08:40:51 AM »
We use Schmackos to train Indie with, as they smell so he knows you have a treat. Also you can break them up into small bits, so it's just a taste.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 09:12:21 AM »
It's a long time since I trained a puppy (Bess is nearly 12) but we used to use cheese if we were in the house, or ginger nut biscuits if we were out.                    

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 04:17:35 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I've bought some Schmakos, and some hot dog sausages - I think as a puppy owner, I just have to resign myself to having pockets full of goo!  :lol:                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 05:18:06 PM »
Hi Pickles mum

I use puffed jerky for Jess's treats.  She's 7 mnths now but I've been giving her these since she was about 4 mnths old.   Most dogs love it and its totally natural, no artificial preservatives and wheat gluten free.

You can buy it in tesco now - its just dried meat (lungs to be exact) it comes in big pieces like giant crisps and you just break it up and it travels really well in the pocket as it's dried.  Its in a red bag and think its made by Webbox.

HTH
Linda and Jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 06:21:35 PM »
Oh Linda

Yeuchhhhh!  :shock:   I've been giving puffed jerky to Morgan but I didn't know that it was dried lungs - does it say that on the packet?  Oh well, he'll do anything for a bit so I'll probably keep buying it - a bit squeamish about anything like that.  

Okay, the Weebox people have another thing called Paddy Whak (sp?)  What is that???  I've not bought as it looks like he may be able to break bits off - we had one choking incident when Morgan was a small pup, so I'm a bit paranoid about things like that.  Have you given it to Jess??                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 10:11:58 PM »
Hi Shirley,  I would stay away from the golden paddywhack myself simply because it is very fattening.  it's deep fried tendons :lol:  :lol:

Jerky on the other hand is very healthy, lovely dried lungs :lol:   If you study a large piece you can actually imagine it before it was dried, kinda spongy and full of alveoli  (air sacs)  :shock:

Don't be squeamish Shirl, loads of people on the raw feeding lists I belong to give their dogs raw lungs :shock:

Apparently they're bloody murder to slice up, all slippery and spongy :P

Stick to the jerky, its brill, not an artificial colouring or preservative in sight, and not deep fried :shock:

HTH

Linda and Jess  (smelly jerky kiss to Morgan an all)                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 06:40:11 AM »
:shock:   OMG - Deep fried tendons!! Who thinks up these things??  :shock:

Thanks for the warning , as I would probably have given it a try eventually.

I've thought about it for ages but have still to pluck up the courage to give Morgan a chicken wing  :?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 07:51:59 AM »
Must try and remember not to read any of Linda's posts whilst eating breakfast :shock:  :lol:  I picked up a bag of that puffed jerkey in tescos last week for the first time and my boys love them. Vegas even gave up his frisbee the other day for a little bit(not sure if hes allowed that or not :? ).....and at the first time of asking too 8)  That was a first!!!                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 09:18:48 AM »
Sorry Gill, didn't want to put you off your brekky :lol:  :lol:

You must agree it smells a lot better than those dried tripe sticks though :shock:  :shock:  :shock:                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 09:49:35 AM »
I bought some Wafcol (not sure of the spelling) treats yesterday.  I noticed that they were hypoallergenic and thought I'd give them a try.  I was even more surprised to notice that in addition to them having no wheat or gluten, they also do not contain any meat!  They are flavoured with tomato and herbs.  The dogs really liked them and they are small enough to use when training and they won't crumble and leave a mess in your pocket!

The other thing I use is rice cake.  They too have quite a strong smell and they're much cheaper than any other doggie treat I've found so far!

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Treats suitable for pups
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 10:33:36 AM »
I have been using a treat called "Coachies" marketed by a company called "The Company of Animals".  They are heart-shaped treats and they are tiny - about the size of the nail on your little finger.   You get hundreds in a packet (think they cost about 99p) - beef, liver and chicken flavours and Tilly would do anything for them.  I like them so far because they are so small and dry - so no manky pockets!  

Sue