Author Topic: Toilet Training  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Toilet Training
« on: April 15, 2004, 10:19:05 AM »
I know that Dylan is our 3rd cocker puppy but we are having major problems with the toilet training.

He is nearly 11 weeks old and is a very well behaved dog - when we take him outside he goes for a wee and we praise.  The problem is that we seem to get no warning of when he wants to go - the other two would sniff around a bit but Dylan does not.  He just plays stops and wees wherever he is - almost as if he has still not connected the feeling of needing to wee with going to the paper/back door.

Is there anything we can do about this as we are coming accross frequent little puddles :?                    

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Toilet Training
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 02:21:39 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried as he is still very young :). I am sure he'll get the idea sooner or later!                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Toilet Training
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 02:39:58 PM »
Indie was the same till he was about 16 weeks. It was almost as thoough he got no warning, but at 6 months he's much much better.

I just had to wait till he was more mature naturally, which obviously happens at different rates, just keep persevering.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Toilet Training
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 03:40:40 PM »
Dont wait for him to give you any signals - take him out periodically at certain times i.e. 5-10 mins after waking up, 5-10 mins after playing (you know how excited they get!), 10 mins after having had a drink, 30 mins after having eaten etc etc. (each time not letting him back in until he's done his business). He IS still young and may not have learnt bladder control yet - but providing him with a routine will help him realise outside is always the place to go.                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Toilet Training
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 10:02:13 PM »
Dont wait for him to give you any signals - take him out periodically at certain times i.e. 5-10 mins after waking up, 5-10 mins after playing (you know how excited they get!), 10 mins after having had a drink, 30 mins after having eaten etc etc. (each time not letting him back in until he's done his business). He IS still young and may not have learnt bladder control yet - but providing him with a routine will help him realise outside is always the place to go.

Here Here :!:   The is the best effective way to do it :D                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline net_masters

• Site Member
    • http://
Toilet Training
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 09:17:30 AM »
I have basically been spending all day outside with our Staffy pup-doing what Mike has suggested actually-as soon as Loki has woken up/eaten/had a drink etcetc I take him out, and stay out there until he has been.  Then it's lots of praise and a litle treat.

We never get accidents during the day as we spend most of it outside (thank heavens we've had nice weather!!!), although we do get messes first thing in the morning-it's hard to be outside when the child is demanding breakfast, and the Hubby needs getting up for work!!

But we are slowly getting there!!!  He is only just 9 weeks old, so I'm not expecting miracles-he's already learnt to sit on command, and sits without being told to when we let him in, or put his food down, so I know he ain't stupid!!                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Toilet Training
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 11:00:05 AM »
I would just wait until hes a little older. Barnaby is just about perfect now, (he whines at the back door when he wants to go)and he is five months old!
Don't worry, he'll soon work it out                    
Katherine and Barnaby