Author Topic: If He Gets A Good Scent I Lose Total Control Of Im  (Read 889 times)

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
    • http://
If He Gets A Good Scent I Lose Total Control Of Im
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:02:44 PM »
hi
i have a bad problem with my spaniel, when he is off lead he often finds a scent and runs away, not listening to a word i say, and i often lost sight of him, usually after 10 minutes he stays closer, though if he finds something good he goes again, recently at an agility day, his first one he nearly ran into a road doing this, terrifying and embarassing as he's usualy quite gud on an agility  course
any ideas?
thnx
kate n sweep

The more i meet people, the more i like my dog.

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 09:13:28 PM »
Hi Kate,

I can't remember how old Sweep is?  I know he's doing agility, but do you also take him to obedience classes as well - or has he ever been?  Personally, that's where we started with Piper and then progressed to offlead walks in secure areas, whilst constantly practising her recall (with the use of treats) until I was confident that she understood what I wanted her to do and would actually do what I wanted her to do.

It may just end up being a case of having to go 'back to basics' with Sweep to get him obey a recall.  Piper is almost 2 now and we still practise her recall when we are out (but without treats much to her disgust!).

Sorry I can't remember how old he is and hope this is of some use.  Good luck!

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:34:09 PM »
Try reading some of the 'recall' threads there are loads of tips there (try recall training away from agility). Mine will do anything if I have a ball in my hand or high-value treats and come back every time (but then I've worked hardest at recall than anything else especially as I walk on some of the long distance trails here in South Wales where there are too many hazards for nosy cockers).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »
I'd work on recall in your garden or a secure area, although often they are good as gold but then forget it all when they are out with the excitement of seeing other dogs.
Lottie is fairly reliable now, she is nearly a year and I don't treat everytime she comes back so that I can gradually break that habit.
Try working hard with recall and treating and see how he responds.

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 05:53:15 PM »
thanks i will try and use all your ideas
Sweep is nearly 2, so it could be that age thing
i think going back to basics will be a good idea

thanks again
kate and sweep

The more i meet people, the more i like my dog.