Author Topic: Cocker Hair  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Rileys

• Site Member
Cocker Hair
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:00:45 PM »
Hi

Just a quick question, has anybody had experience with Asthma and Cocker Spaniel hair? Im asuming that because it's of the longer silkier variety that it's probably going to better than most breeds? My Mum wants to adopted a rescue spaniel but my brother (35yrs old, doesn't live with mum) has quite severe asthma. The 'oilier' (for want of a better word) the hair the better he is. Labrador hair for instance is more of a trigger than say Terrier hair. Any advice greatfully received.

Amanda                    
Amanda :)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cocker Hair
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 04:26:28 PM »
Amanda - it's not the hair but the dander that aggravates asthma but it clings to hair so longer haired dogs that shed can cause problems as the hair gets all over. Oilier hair will help as the dander will cling rather than float in the air.

You can become desensitised to the dander - but only if in regular contact.

If your brother has his inhalers and doses himself up well before he goes in and perhaps takes some piriton too he might find he's OK. He could try a test trip to the rescue centre first maybe to see how he goes on.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cocker Hair
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 05:57:56 PM »
Hi Amanda

I agree with Pammy!  I have pet allergies, one of them being too dogs :roll:  after much umming and arring I decided that I could no longer be petless, we have always had pets, but had a 7 year break!  SO when we got Indie, well it really set me off :(  I now have to take anti-histamines every day :?  which I guess is not good, but theres no way on this earth I could part with my baby girl now :wink:  

My advise would be as Pammy says, have a trial run somehow :?  although it can take a few hours for the allergy to kick off!  I did a lot of research into this subject before we got Indie, basically theres mixed feelings on the matter, some say you can slowly build up an immune to allergies and others say you can't :?   Pammy is right it is the DANDER and not the HAIR, cockers aren't really the best dogs to get for allergy sufferers as the hair as pups is very fluffy, cat like, the dander seems to get stuck in that so everytime you cuddle the dog, you end up poorly :(
The grooming involved in having a cocker can become a problem too, I really suffer when I do this, so much so, I may start wearing a mask, as when you groom you are releasing all the dander  airborne then breathing it all in, I think even people who do not have pet allergies, have the odd sneeze when grooming.

Bichon Frise are supposed to be non allergenic but frankly I can't see how tthis can be as all animals have dander, even chinese crested dogs will set off an allergic reaction, if a person is prone to it :roll:  

If you type in google PET ALLERGY and read up some information and take it from there, but I would advise that you consider it fully before you decide, I hope this helps, I am only going by my own experiece, I hope this helps you, although I am guessing its not really what you wanted to here :roll:  

I hope it all works out for you :oops:  Do let us know how you get on :)                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Cocker Hair
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 06:30:01 PM »
I am asthmatic and as long as I take my inhalers (becotide and ventolin) I am fine.  If I miss taking the becotide I do have problems though and my chest gets very tight.  Strictly speaking I shouldn't have dogs but thankfully the inhaler keeps it under control.

Loraine.  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Cocker Hair
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 06:35:12 PM »
I'm allergic to dogs and cats, but have grown better as I've got older. I find if Indie needs a bath, I become more allergic, so I bath him about twice a month, and so far so good. I know you can also get sprays to reduce dander.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Rileys

• Site Member
Cocker Hair
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 09:12:24 PM »
Thanks guys

Paul (my bro) is not really up that much and he copes with my Greyhounds hair by dosing up when he comes to visit me and my husband so I guess he'll just have to keep on the meds. Mum could provide the perfect home to a rescue Cocker and they'd be really good for one another (she lost her long time hound and husband within a week of each other last November) which quite frankly is all that counts. Spaniels never fail to bring a smile to your face.  :wink:                    
Amanda :)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Cocker Hair
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 09:35:29 PM »
I'm asthmatic too, but having 7 Cockers of my own & trim others for a living, I can safely say that they don't affect me  :D                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.