CockersOnline Forum
Cocker Specific Discussion => Puppies => Topic started by: EmmaC on July 28, 2009, 04:32:57 PM
-
I have a 4 and a half month old blue roan pup called Arthur who is the love of my life! OH and I had planned to go on holiday this coming weekend and as the time draws nearer I am getting more and more upset at the thought of leaving him!
I know it's silly, he will have a whale of a time being spoiled rotten by the inlaws!
I just need someone to tell me he'll be fine and won't be distressed. I have considered scrapping going away and getting something for a few days in this country where we can take Arthur. OH is getting rather sick of me changing my mind every 5 mins! :-\ :-\ :-\
-
I know how you feel - I always hate leaving Pebble. :luv:
But basically I feel it more than she does and she has a whale of a time. If she sees me leaving she makes a fuss but then is very easily distracted and forgets all about me >:( (Until I pick her up and get licked to death :lol2:)
The first time (which I assume this is) is always the hardest but once you see how much fun he has it will get easier. Also it's not as if he has never met your in laws and is going to a strange place with new people. He will have a ball ;)
-
Poor you - I know how you feel - we have a 4 month old puppy and i have told OH that we cant go away in september as I cant leave her. We are going to do the bathroom instead...well OH will be and I will be playing with my puppy. Have you booked / paid to go away this weekend? If not maybe going away in this country could be a good option....although have a feeling it will just rain all the time (where has the sun gone!!!?). If you have already booked then try to enjoy yourself and dont feel bad about leaving him - he probably wont even notice you have gone and will have a nice holiday of his own with the inlaws.
-
I hate leaving mine too - haven't had to leave this pup yet but all my cockers have loved a little outing to the inlaws' for the weekend where they get "off menu" treats (despite my severe warnings not to :005:) - and they get treated like furry grandkids and hardly miss me at all - like LizH says, we feel it more than they do! We compromise in our house - we take the dog with us for a week and a few long weekends and we try to have a week or two away just the two of us - keeps OH happy! :luv:
-
I know exactly where you are coming from as I left molly for first time in May and actually threw up with the stress of it ph34r She on the other hand was spoiled rotten for a week by my parents and was no worse off for the experience ;)
-
Its such a horrible feeling leaving them, we left Hattie in kennels for the first time around a month ago, she is 15 months and i missed her terribly, but she was fine when we picked her up and i left her again 2 weeks ago for 3 nights and she was fine again. I also have Millie who is 14 years old she is deaf and has not got good sight, she has never been in kennels as my FIL used to come to our house to mind her, but circumstance means this is no longer able to happen, so she went to stay at a dog sitters in her own house, she was wonderful with Millie, she even slept on the sofa because Millie struggles getting down the stairs. When we went to pick her up she was very relaxed,(she was a sleep in her bed ::)). She has been a little clingy since comming home, just making sure were you are, but i would have no hesitation in doing it again, they were both OK and we came back recharged a ready to go again.
-
Thanks for support! I feel like I'm being really silly and I know he'll be just fine but I have to admit I am so obsessed with Arthur - even if he is a little tinker! :005:
You wouldn't think that it was OH that initially wanted a dog! He works away so I've done all the walking, training etc and in the process have become a total softie :005: :embarassed:
-
Don't worry you are not alone. I had to leave my little chap for the grand total of 5 hours last Saturday as it was my OH's work summer ball. We had only had him two weeks and so my Mum came round to puppy sit - my older sister came too to keep my Mum company but she did not fool me - she just wanted puppy cuddles!
I could not wait to get home but the Humphrey was crashed in his bed and only piped up when we stood on his squeaky ball. Can honestly say that I have never experienced seperation anxiety like it. My other half will be going away in the next few weeks so the Humph will be my constant companion too. Would not have it any other way - actuallly remind me of that at 9pm tonight when he is going through his 'devil dog' stage >:D x
-
I worried myself sick the first time i left Eric at about 5 months and the first time I left lucy as well. However, neither of them pined for me or even gave me a second thought they were far too busy getting spoilt at Grandma's and chasing her 2 cats ;)
-
kizzy whos now 12 and bruno whos 8 have been going into kennels twice a year for years apart from last year and this and it makes no difference, i always worry and get upset when they go in, they are ALWAYS fine but it never gets any easier, at least Arthur is going to the inlaws and to be honest i bet he will enjoy himself and you will get back and he will be pleased to see you and within 5 minutes its like you have never been away, i always pick mine up take them straight out to walk and were back to normal, and yes you DO get obsessed with them im sure its a cocker thing :005: :005: ::)
-
darcey goes to my parents when we're away.i used to worry about her. now my only worry is that she won't want to come home because she loves it so much!!
-
Blodwen arrived with us on Saturday 18th July. I went to work for a few hours on the following Monday morning, arrived at work and cried, I was so sad to leave her! Thank goodness our office manager at work who saw me is also a dog lover who completely understood!
Leaving her for a little while does get easier, because every time I get home, she is just sitting there merrily, It think she appreciates the peace and quiet while the house is empty so that she can get her snoozes in!! I also leave Radio 4 on for her so she can keep up to date with all the news, phone ins and afternoon plays! :lol:
I am heading to the National Eisteddfod for 8 nights on Saturday with work up in North Wales. I am dreading it, but know she will be safe with Hubby. We are also getting a puppy sitter to check on her during the day.
There is also this website which shows lots of places that you can go away with the pupster/dog (Hubby found it on the web).
http://www.dogsinvited.co.uk/
-
Well we have decided to try and go somewhere in sunny Blighty with the little fella-PHEW!!
Going to check out that website, thank you! I know I will have to leave him at some point but I'm just not ready :005: Going to work and leaving him for a few hours is bad enough. It seems from reading other replies I am never going to get over MY separation anxiety :005:
-
I am just the same with mine.....(all 3 of them).
But, why not??? They are always there for me. They are good fun, and very loving.
I'm glad you are taking him with you..........there's plenty of time for venturing further when he's a bit older hey???
-
Ambers (6 months) just been on her 1st camping holiday to Ripon and she loved it, she went to Mother Shiptons cave and York for the day too! as I didnt want to leave her... ;)
-
We go on our hols with our dogs now, I used to love foreign holidays but despite no longer being able to afford I just can't bear to leave my pups. I am however going to get them used to the kennels we have said maybe take them for the odd day and pick them up at night just so they can get used to it, however this well thought out plan has still not happened!!!! I love them so much and I too miss them when at work, So little Blodwen has Radio 4 on mine have Radio one!!! they love Chris Moyles in the morning or Scott Mills in the afternoon :005:
You are not alone there is just something about cockers that welds them to your heart.
-
We go on our hols with our dogs now, I used to love foreign holidays but despite no longer being able to afford I just can't bear to leave my pups. I am however going to get them used to the kennels we have said maybe take them for the odd day and pick them up at night just so they can get used to it, however this well thought out plan has still not happened!!!! I love them so much and I too miss them when at work, So little Blodwen has Radio 4 on mine have Radio one!!! they love Chris Moyles in the morning or Scott Mills in the afternoon :005:
You are not alone there is just something about cockers that welds them to your heart. Just love your quote about chocolates, and cocker spaniels. I am definitely gonna use that one some time...he he
-
:D Blodwen also likes listening to Red Dragon FM (local commercial radio station in Cardiff!) Her current fave pop stars are Lady GaGa and JLS :lol2:
-
I miss Dennis too when we are out , im yet to leave him when we go away , but having young children we wont be going abroad anyway :D Im hoping that we can have one holiday ( a week maybe ) where he will stay with family and we will make it totally about the children and do theme parks and swimming etc (things that could be difficult with a dog ) and maybe a couple of dog friendly holidays (cheap camping ones :005: ) that are about getting us all out and about somewhere different :D