Author Topic: Grooming disaster anyone ?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Grooming disaster anyone ?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »
Yes, it is a short vid with no finished effect, sorry Toni.  All I can say is I use a coat king on his back and sides.  His skirt hangs fairly low and starts almost at the bottom of his rib cage but you can get this effect with clippers too.  Have you got a pic?

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
Don't forget...only a couple of weeks between a bad haircut and a good one  :005:

Funnily enough,i said exactly that to my OH this morning through teary eyes,i'm such a saddo  :005:

Yes, it is a short vid with no finished effect, sorry Toni.  All I can say is I use a coat king on his back and sides.  His skirt hangs fairly low and starts almost at the bottom of his rib cage but you can get this effect with clippers too.  Have you got a pic?

I am such a dummy at things like that Mel so i will get OH to upload the pics tonight.  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
Any tips on the skirt will be much appreciated  :D

Here is the before.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/peterUK/Toni/Milly/2013-04-10084725_zps00a3e754.jpg

Here is after,with the skirt that i don't know what to do with
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/peterUK/Toni/Milly/2013-04-11163929_zps48547c7b.jpg

And this one as i rarely post pics and she looks soooo peed off.  :luv:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/peterUK/Toni/Milly/2013-04-11163848_zps067fe348.jpg
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
Toni, I'm going to be totally corny and unhelpful here BUT I think you've done a great job.  I can't see anything wrong with her skirt at all, to be honest.  She looks lovely and neat and is a sweetie, bless.  :luv:  

Toby was trimmed two days ago and the amount that came off could have filled a pillowcase but he still looks very hairy, but that's the way I prefer it, but Ruby looks great.  :luv:

Pic of Toby AFTER his groom (believe it or not LOL):

In fact, this is how much was coat kinged / trimmed out of him:

Don't want to hijack your thread any more Toni, I think you've done a great job. X

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »
I think her skirt looks fine too; good job :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline bbridget33

• My Little Man
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
I am a hairdresser but a wriggly little spaniel was rather different. I use hair dressing clippers and I don't use any grader so just the blade without the clip on comb for the main body top of the head, then I use number three for the chest, and tummy and number two grader for the legs.
 cut with sissors round the feet, and face my hubby does I have had a few disasters myself but at least it grows back it can only get better and you will feel more able to do it confidently and find what combination works for you.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments  :D I do feel a little better about the result but i def need to take that skirt shorter and thin out her tail so she looks balanced with the short clip.

Mel-that is a lot of hair considering how hairy he still is bless him  :luv: the state i was in covered in hair,now i know why a lot of groomers wear a jacket/apron thingy !!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
You could do one of two things. Using the clippers with the 7f blade without pressing too hard come down the sides of the ribcage following the direction of the coat and as you get to where you want the longer coat to be 'scoop' away with the blade.

Or, you could lift up the hair that you want to remove and use the thinning scissors in an upward direction so that you go in from underneath. Brush it down and if there's still more to be removed, repeat the process.

Hope that makes sense  :D

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
Every time I groom- I'm hopeless. The good news is it grows back really quickly; really drastic plucked chicken bits (I usually manage a couple) look better after just a few days  ;)

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
I think she looks lovely but her expression in that last photo really made me laugh, what a little love she is beautiful.
I've had a few grooming disasters, I wanted to trim Bella quite short so I used a 10 blade instead of the 7fc and it left her coat stripey like a plowed field. I did cry at that as I had ruined my beautiful girls coat until a COler saved the day and told me how to correct it.
 The next one was not my fault but I had clipped one side of Jasmine and then my clippers broke mid trim so she had one side short and one side long  :005:
I am sure I will have many more but yes you have done a good job she looks smart
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 09:32:36 PM »
Every time I groom- I'm hopeless. The good news is it grows back really quickly; really drastic plucked chicken bits (I usually manage a couple) look better after just a few days  ;)

And me.  I have been at this for about 7 years now and I still get perfect feet with disastrous ears, perfect ears with disastrous skirt, perfect skirt with disastrous legs, perfect legs with disastrous feet.  You get the picture.  I have never managed to get it all right.