Author Topic: Grooming disaster anyone ?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Grooming disaster anyone ?
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
First time grooming Ruby myself today,i'm sad to say i think i will have to start again tomorrow due to massive error  :'( and i feel a bit overwhelmed with it.

I was clipping off round the sides of her tail (like her botty cheeks) got carried away and i clipped off the back of her thigh  :embarassed: so i had to do the other thigh to match and she now looks like a chicken from behind.I'm not a drama queen,but i nearly cried as i had already found it scary doing her face  ph34r

She was as good as gold and i keep telling myself better this than how she gets so stressed out at a groomers.
I didnt muck her ears up, i'm glad to say her face is fine,so is neck and chest, phew  :D

I am really stuck with the skirt,i think i can trim the length ok,but it's clipping off the sides of the body and where the skirt starts that i'm not sure of. Tips anyone   :huh:

I don't think i like doing this  ph34r
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: Grooming disaster anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
First time grooming Ruby myself today,i'm sad to say i think i will have to start again tomorrow due to massive error  :'( and i feel a bit overwhelmed with it.

I was clipping off round the sides of her tail (like her botty cheeks) got carried away and i clipped off the back of her thigh  :embarassed: so i had to do the other thigh to match and she now looks like a chicken from behind.I'm not a drama queen,but i nearly cried as i had already found it scary doing her face  ph34r

She was as good as gold and i keep telling myself better this than how she gets so stressed out at a groomers.
I didnt muck her ears up, i'm glad to say her face is fine,so is neck and chest, phew  :D

I am really stuck with the skirt,i think i can trim the length ok,but it's clipping off the sides of the body and where the skirt starts that i'm not sure of. Tips anyone   :huh:

I don't think i like doing this  ph34r

EVERYONE does it, don't worry, everyone started somewhere, just think, it grows back...I trimmed about half of the feathering off one of Charlie's arms last week...so I had to match the other one to be the same...He's had chunks out of his ears, but both him and me are getting better which is the main thing...
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
I have new clippers  :003:

I am frightened  :fear2:

Not sure if I'll ever turn them on  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »
The first time I ever did Charlie's feet properly myself (the day before a show)...I ruined them, they looked hacked. However, with several months of practice they look good when I do them, and not hacked.

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »

They sound quite quiet when you turn them on...you should at least turn them on to listen to them haha.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »

They sound quite quiet when you turn them on...you should at least turn them on to listen to them haha.

really?

ok, I'll turn them on tonight but I can't guarantee they'll go near a hair working cocker until it's over 20 degrees as I have a feeling he will be scalped  ph34r

Good luck Toni, you're braver than I am  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
Maisie lives with my grooming disasters on a day to day basis. They grow out and then I have another one. 

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
When I still had Millie, I used to clipper her, many times she would have a bald botty or back leg ph34r she never minded and it grows back very fast ;)
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

really?

ok, I'll turn them on tonight but I can't guarantee they'll go near a hair working cocker until it's over 20 degrees as I have a feeling he will be scalped  ph34r

Good luck Toni, you're braver than I am  :lol2:

I tried them on OH before I tried them on Charlie...(legs)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
I had the Andis for over a week.Kept getting them out of the box,then kept putting them back in  ph34r

Then i plugged them in and switched them on and was amazed how quiet they were and not a harsh vibration with them.
I have read and re read that many grooming threads and watched that many tutorials i think i forgot what i learned trying to take in so much  :-\

I will tackle it again tomorrow,poor little thing is going to have very drafty nether regions.  :embarassed:

Any tips about blending the sides of the body into the skirt will be read and re-read............ ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
 have you checked you tube for  skirt blending  :005:.  I'm sure ages ago I saw a video for an  American cocke bring clipped,  it'll be similar,  and it looked easy 'enough'.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
have you checked you tube for  skirt blending  :005:.  I'm sure ages ago I saw a video for an  American cocke bring clipped,  it'll be similar,  and it looked easy 'enough'.

I'm on there now  :D

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »
Toni I'm on the YouTube app at the mo and can't see a link to copy.  Type this into the search bar:

How to groom a cocker spaniel-trim with Andis clippers

She shows how to blend the sides into the skirt.  If you can't find, let me know and I'll get on the laptop and copy the link.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »
Thanks Mel  ;) ,i have seen that one (a few times) but i always think it ends to quick and like she hasn't finished it off  :huh: but what do know  :lol2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNupjjUP2ps

I will have to post a pic of Rubes skirt maybe and see if anyone can advise what to do with it.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
Don't forget...only a couple of weeks between a bad haircut and a good one  :005:
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers