Author Topic: Switching to raw diet  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
Switching to raw diet
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
I have been driving my OH mad with my rantings and ravings about Daisy's diet. I've now decided to bite the bullet and get her onto a raw diet as her poops haven't been quite right since we got her (she's on James Wellbeloved kibble with Arden Grange wet food). I've ordered some Natural Instinct for her and am quite excited about it getting here! She eats anything (literally anything, she came in from the garden today proudly carrying some poo in her mouth  :o cue me shrieking and trying to get her to drop it while she pranced about the place) so hopefully she'll eat it ok as I've bought loads due to the high delivery cost!  Having a slight panic it won't all fit in my freezer though. If it doesnt, I'll try feed it to OH  :005:

This was her face after being told of the change to her diet  :005:

Offline Chillis

Re: Switching to raw diet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:01:45 PM »
So exiting  :luv: looking forward to reading how you get on!

Offline mooms16

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
Something I have been thinking of doing too. My little lady is 5 months and on James Wellbeloved and Im thinking of swapping her to raw at 6 months. Look forward to hearing how you get on. I know lots of people that feed Natural Instinct and have only got good things to say about it. :D

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
Well, it arrived today, all 10kg of it  :o and thankfully it was still frozen solid and fitted nicely in our freezer! I'm at work tonight and OH is too scared to start Daisy on it himself  :005: so we'll give it a whirl from tomorrow morning! Quite excited!

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »
Really interested to know how you get on. When I tried mine on it they seemed really hungry - it seemed a really small portion of food for them and was gone in the blink of an eye. I do want to try again though so will watch this thread with interest - good luck  ;)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
What a cutie  :luv:

We switched completely 12 months ago and have never looked back.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
@ JanD - I have to feed Penny much more than the recommended amount! She has 300-350g in the evening, plus a chicken wing or foot in the morning, despite weighing under 10kg, and is always looking hopefully for more. I think she just enjoys it so much  :005: She's in great condition and hasn't put on weight ( she's a dainty girl) but doesn't have a dainty appetite!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
Thanks all, I've got some chicken wings in too which I might start giving her for one meal. I was planning on feeding Daisy about 350g a day of the raw, she gets quite a lot of treats at the moment as we're training so hopefully that'll do her, I'm sure she'll let us know if that's not enough  :005: 

Offline Chillis

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
what flavours did you got for? :D
peps only gets 100g a day, she'd be in heaven if got 359g  :005:

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
Chicken and, er, summat else, lamb I think! I asked OH to check but he said it all just looks like mush to him :005:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
@Chillis - only 100g! Maybe I'm over feeding Miss P  :dunno: How much does Pepper weigh?

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
The feeding guidelines on their website seem to suggest about 300-400g for a cocker spaniel, unless I've misread them! Maybe Pepper is fed some other stuff too? Or isn't a glutton like our beasts  :005:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »
Jessie started on 200grams a day of NI but she started to loose some weight so upped to 250 grams which is 2.5%. Dylan started at 300grams but now has 340grams he is 13.5KG  and does not look good at under 13kgs. Jessie weighs 10kg.  I will weigh them again in a few weeks to monitor their weight and adjust if needed.

Erica.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
I find Penny is more satisfied if she has to work for her food. Today she had a meaty beef rib, which took her a long time to strip. I sometimes stuff some of the mince into a kong if that's all she's having. In the summer, I sometimes hide the meat in the garden and she has to sniff it out.

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »
Well she wolfed it down this morning then cried when it was all gone  :005: so I think she likes it!