Author Topic: Over dose of meds  (Read 10787 times)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Over dose of meds
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
Hi honeysmum hubby and I have debated long and hard about moving Charlie to another Vet I even searched for any in Ayrshire who also have acupuncture as he needs that every 2 weeks.  Now if we move him we have to find a vet willing to take him and them knowing about a complaint being lodged with RCVS against our previous vet. Also if we move just now and they find that he does develop for instance liver issues 3 months from now we then get into who pays the new vet to treat liver disease as a result of the overdose.  So we have decided to stay where we are and be extra careful re meds.  Plus as the senior partner who is a big lump of a man so far has not had the balls to front up and face me and I was in the surgery for an hour tonight for acupuncture and another blood test, he was in because I asked the nurse and still he chose not to speak to me.  I think my being in and out with Charlie will have more of an impact on him than it will  me.    Typical Scottish Wumin I can bide my time I will see my day with him verbally and face to face.     

:clapping: :clapping:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
Hi honeysmum hubby and I have debated long and hard about moving Charlie to another Vet I even searched for any in Ayrshire who also have acupuncture as he needs that every 2 weeks.  Now if we move him we have to find a vet willing to take him and them knowing about a complaint being lodged with RCVS against our previous vet. Also if we move just now and they find that he does develop for instance liver issues 3 months from now we then get into who pays the new vet to treat liver disease as a result of the overdose.  So we have decided to stay where we are and be extra careful re meds.  Plus as the senior partner who is a big lump of a man so far has not had the balls to front up and face me and I was in the surgery for an hour tonight for acupuncture and another blood test, he was in because I asked the nurse and still he chose not to speak to me.  I think my being in and out with Charlie will have more of an impact on him than it will  me.    Typical Scottish Wumin I can bide my time I will see my day with him verbally and face to face.     

Attagirl, you are spot on, he will be squirming when you are in the surgery.  It is also the best option for Charlie.   :bigarmhug:

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 08:54:40 AM »

Attagirl, you are spot on, he will be squirming when you are in the surgery.  It is also the best option for Charlie.   :bigarmhug:

Thanks catmartin
As you have said he is spineless and the fact that he can't face you.
your day will come and when it does I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. ;)
Hope Charlie is feeling better today, More big hugs for him from me

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
Sending you and Charlie loads of love :-*
We are thinking about you guys all the time,
it's such a privilege to have an oldie in your
life :blink:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »
I thank you all.  Sorry for tardy reply been like a headless chicken looking after ma boy and trying to find out what I can do to cause this vet pain.  I have phoned and then submitted my complaint to RCVS including photographic evidence.  Called CAB who have passed my complaint on to Trading standards in case there have been other complaints I do not know about  :lol:

Charlie in himself is still sleeping a lot but seems fine in himself trying his luck with me which is good.  He has arthritis in his back legs and if he gets stuck somewhere squeaks to tell me he is and lift him onto his back legs, noticed last night he was squeaking with a cheeky grin for me to lift him when he wasn't actually stuck,  so thats ma boy.   He is eating much better and not drinking just as much.

I got a call last night from Senior partners wife who is also a vet and partner in the practice.  She called to give me the latest blood test results.  Maybe she thinks she got off lightly but I was giving her enough rope to hang them I found out a lot from the 2 below statements 
she made which got included into my evidence to RCVS
"they are all supposed to checks each others when dispensing"
"we are unable to find out who dispensed this as NO ONE is owning up to it"
SO no checks then, no audit trail , no initials on label or box as to who dispensed or who checked.  In other words no procedures.
I handed in my letter of complaint at the surgery on Monday still waiting for a reply.  I was asked if I wanted it posted or if I wanted the senior partner to visit the house.  I said post.  ( I cant trust my husband not to have him by the throat for hurting his best buddy.)
Keep you all up to date as things progress.
Cathy

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
Sounds like you have a good action plan there, good luck with it all. Hope Charlie remains as well as possible.  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
Sounds like you have a good action plan there, good luck with it all. Hope Charlie remains as well as possible.  :luv:

Couldn't have said it better.  Glad to hear Charlie is being cheeky a sure sign he is feeling better in himself  :luv:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »
Keep checking in on this. Pleased Charlie seems ok. Good luck pursuing this with your vets

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »
Just keep feeding out the rope, keep hubby more than arms reach away from the vet!  Delighted to hear that Charlie is shoving his luck, that is a really good sign  :luv: and yes, please keep updated when you can, really appreciate it. xx

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »
I cant trust my husband not to have him by the throat for hurting his best buddy.
Cathy

Now there's a course of action I can readily identify with in this case  >:D

Maybe it should be reported to the SSPCA. An animal's wellbeing has been put at risk by professional incompetence  >:(   That's animal cruelty in my book.
Glad to hear that Charlie seems to be getting back to his usual self  :luv:

Bob.

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »

Couldn't have said it better.  Glad to hear Charlie is being cheeky a sure sign he is feeling better in himself  :luv:

More cheeky grins please Charlie  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: big boy glad you are feeling better

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Re: Over dose of meds UPDATE page 4
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
Sorry for late update been up to my ears with Charlie who had his usual blandish tea on Tuesday night boiled chicken etc as he has most days with a small portion of easily digestible cesar dog food for oldies.  Well it went straight thru him over the next 24 hours.  I had to starve him for 18 hours.  I made up boiled white fish, rice and potato to give him later yesterday but couldnt as it was still going thru him from Tuesday plenty of water to keep him hydrated.  I have order Pro Kolin not arrived yet.  I gave him 2 spoons of white fish, rice and potato at 8 this morning so far still in him innards thank dawg.  It looks like post previcox I need to go even more bland than pre previcox.  Plan is to give him 2 spoons of the mix every 4 hours today see how we go.  My question is if I maintain him as bland as white fish or boiled chicken with rice and potato will he get enough nutrients from that or do I add a multi vit in as well, I do give him probiotics a spoon every day .  Over time once his tum has settled I will consider adding in a spoonful of the easy digestible dog food all being well.

I got a call from RCVS last night to discuss my complaint.  I got the feeling she was hoping I had calmed down and had let of steam,  answer nope not a chance I want this to go the distance.  I have just emailed them a copy of the reply I received from the practice as she requested.       I have been told that they are looking at one or 2 areas that the practice have failed in and my complaint will then go to a panel of 2 a vet and a lay person for the decision to be made on what happens next. 

Thanks for all your help he was quite bright this morning zonked out sleeping now
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
For you Cathy and Charlie boy   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
Yes from us too... :bigarmhug:
No expert but i would guess at maintaining#
a bland diet would be ok until he's settled,
bless his little cocker paws :luv:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks all for the first time in nearly 2 weeks we have a solid poo hopefully the first of many he is eating all I put in front of him no treats at all
Maintaining 3 small meals per day no dog food I ma cooking for him myself until I know for sure his tum is settled. 
I went to the practice to day to get more paracetamol for Charlie there will be no more fancy pain meds that he cannot tolerate we plan to keep him on this it works and I know by his body language when he needs one.   Now the new bottle of tabs had been signed and checked by 2 people so that is new never had a prescription in a brown bottle signed and checked.  If my complaint stops this from ever happening to anyone else by forcing them to do this I will be a happy camper.  Of course they didnt tell me they were tightening up their procedures  but they knew I would check today, before  I would accept another prescription maybe the RCVS have had words. 

Cathy

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition