Author Topic: Coat length and hand stripping  (Read 3926 times)

Offline 7733lily

Re: Coat length and hand stripping
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
Everyone I meet keeps telling me that I'll need to have him neutered but I'm not convinced at all, he'll be 7 months in 2 weeks and I have yet to face any problems. Did you have any issues leaving Oliver entire? What about your other cockers? They're so beautiful together by the way :luv: And your pictures are wonderful!
[/quote]

Well, its completely personal choice of course, however all three of my boys are entire (now 6yrs, 5yrs and 4yrs)
Oliver is quite dominant and has had "issues" with other dominant males, but other than that its fine.  The other two don't really seem to have any hormones or maybe they just can't get a look in with Oliver around  :005:
As I say, personal choice, do your research on the health side of things and go from there.  Unless there is a medical reason or behavioural (Oliver is constantly under review lol) then I would leave as is (but of course entirely personal choice)

Offline Hamad

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
The bone on his head you speak of is perfectly normal. It is called his Occiput bone. ;) His head will change shape as he matures. It may stay as prominent or it may balance out as he fills out and matures, but whatever it is perfectly normal. ;) Dogs mature at different rates in body and coat. Some are much later developers and some a lot earlier.  :blink:

Good to know that it's perfectly normal! Thank you so much for all the valuable info you shared 6thSense, I truly appreciate it and excited to see how things will progress  :lol2:

Well, its completely personal choice of course, however all three of my boys are entire (now 6yrs, 5yrs and 4yrs)
Oliver is quite dominant and has had "issues" with other dominant males, but other than that its fine.  The other two don't really seem to have any hormones or maybe they just can't get a look in with Oliver around  :005:
As I say, personal choice, do your research on the health side of things and go from there.  Unless there is a medical reason or behavioural (Oliver is constantly under review lol) then I would leave as is (but of course entirely personal choice)

That's fantastic and quite inspiring to be honest as I'm told he'll somehow turn into a monster if left as is and here you have 3 doing so well together! We had a poodle growing up and then a golden pekingese and both were left entire, the latter was dominant and extremely possessive but neither displayed any noticeable issues related to them being intact and hope the same goes for Bertie  :angel:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »
You're very welcome. :D Hope this works as not posted a pic on here in a while, but this is my red show boy Tally. :D

xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »
Aw, he's  :luv:

Offline Hamad

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »
Oh wow Tally's breathlessly beautiful!
Thanks for sharing his pictures, he's quite a sight and again that color :luv:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
Aww Thankyou.  :021: He is a fabulous dog with an unbeatable temperament. I am passionate about the golds/reds. Nothing can really beat them in my eyes. ;)

Offline Hamad

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »
he didn't start sprouting hair until he was about 9months old and then it was mainly his top knot

Bertie's nearing 9 months now and it seems just like Oliver his coat suddenly started growing during the past few weeks! It became harder to manage and stood in different directions making him look a little messy so I tried my luck again with stripping the head and back and it worked :)

His feet were getting out of control too so I used thinning scissors on them as well as around the ears and throat for a neater look. He wouldn't stand still for me to take proper pictures, but here's what I managed to capture:

There's still more to be stripped, so not all came out at once just like Sarah mentioned but overall I'm happy with the improvement!  :lol2:

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
Looks like you've done a good job there.  He looks lovely and so much like my Mollie.

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Hi Hamad,
Can I ask if you stripped Bertie with a comb and elastic band or a coat king or?

Teddy is looking a bit like a yeti...one that likes rolling in nature.

Offline Hamad

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 04:19:32 AM »
Looks like you've done a good job there.  He looks lovely and so much like my Mollie.

Aw thank you chrisp! Always thought Mollie's a beauty :luv:

Hi Hamad,
Can I ask if you stripped Bertie with a comb and elastic band or a coat king or?

Hi Mandy! lol I tried the latex glove method and that worked very well, half way through my hands were getting warm though so I carried on without them but it was a little more challenging this way. I did the shoulders and head first then the rest of the back the day after. The amount of hair that came out was far more than I anticipated, makes me wonder what stripping a black or a roan is like  :o

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »
Aw, he looks gorgeous  :luv:, you've done a good job
I'll be interested to see what his coat eventually ends up like  ;)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »
Looks FAB !!! Well done you !!  Easy when you know how.  ;) :clapping: :banana: :D

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 05:19:20 PM »

Aw thank you chrisp! Always thought Mollie's a beauty :luv:

Hi Hamad,

Hi Mandy! lol I tried the latex glove method and that worked very well, half way through my hands were getting warm though so I carried on without them but it was a little more challenging this way. I did the shoulders and head first then the rest of the back the day after. The amount of hair that came out was far more than I anticipated, makes me wonder what stripping a black or a roan is like  :o

Thank you very much.

Mandy I used the comb and elastic method - it worked lovely.  Used to do a little bit each day.  Mollie now has a lovely sleek coat.

Offline Hamad

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »

Hehe thanks a lot Lily! I'll definitely post more updates and will try to take better pictures next time :)

Looks FAB !!! Well done you !!  Easy when you know how.  ;) :clapping: :banana: :D

Aww thank you so much Sara!!! You've been incredibly helpful to me :luv:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »

Hehe thanks a lot Lily! I'll definitely post more updates and will try to take better pictures next time :)

Aww thank you so much Sara!!! You've been incredibly helpful to me :luv:

You're more than welcome.  ;) x