Author Topic: dont you just love some people  (Read 1403 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
dont you just love some people
« on: April 13, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »
conversation between myself and a women and her dog

This morning a woman with a dog was approaching so we moved out of the way and sat Gemma up and waited for her to pass. We do this with most dogs as Gemma is reactive. I put myself in the way of the dog as I will give them a fuss as Gemma wont interact with them . OH is standing well back with Gem.

woman approaches and stops
Dog    GRRR
me  whats up with you lad
dog GRRR
woman    Its alright he does that until he gets to know other dogs
me  Gemma is reactive , thats why she is over there out of your way
dog   GRRRR
woman He will play and stop growling
me   Gemma doesnt play, she is reactive
woman but he needs to play its the only way he will learn to stop  growling
All this time Gemma is sitting quietly :luv:

Then the woman releases her dog to a long lead which then makes a bee line to Gemma while barking and growling, Gemma starts squealing  and bouncing around on her lead while OH is trying to get her out of the way

woman oh yours gets a bit shirty doesn't  it and she drags hers away

me to OH what a ********

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: dont you just love some people
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 08:37:14 PM »
I feel your pain. I've had similar scenarios with Louis, who has been fearful and reactive towards certain dogs since he was attacked several years ago. He's able to stay calm quite often nowadays, with my help, but dogs that charge up to him and bouncy puppies with no manners will always trigger his fear and reactivity.

Recent scenario:

In the middle of the New Forest a large Labradoodle with flowing coat comes charging towards us at speed. I call Louis close to me and call out to the Labradoodle owner, asking her to call her dog to her because mine is fearful.

Labradoodle owner calls back that he's friendly and wants to play.

I respond that mine is scared of large, bouncy dogs that run up to him.

Labradoodle lady says not to worry, her dog visits schools to meet children and wouldn't harm a fly. He'll just play.

I respond (in a less friendly tone) that mine is afraid of large dogs, so please call him away.

Too late. Labradoodle zooms in, Louis goes into panic mode and chases Labradoodle while barking and growling. He stops after a few seconds because he feels safer once it's run off.

Labradoodle lady looks offended and decides it's time to move off in a different direction.

I feel sad, because poor Louis will be on edge for a few days and less able to cope with other dogs we meet.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »
I feel for you both people are so rude. Ben was very reactive and i would get so cross when people let their dogs run up to him, because once he started growling and lunging towards them they would comment about how agressive he was, and i would say he was quietly enjoying his walk before you upset him.

Amazingly you also get abuse if you put your dog on the lead. Harry is the bouncy fun fun fun sort of dog that loves to play, but out walking if I see a dog coming I will call him back and put him on the lead until i know what the other dog is like, as not everyone with a reactive dog has the sense to put them on a lead. People have said to me 'that poor dog just let him play' when theirs is snarling and snapping and running riot and clearly very stressed.

This could be why mostly I find dogs easier to get on with than people..... :D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
I get this ALL the time. Henry isn’t reactive, but he is overfriendly, and I keep him on the lead in situations where I don’t want HIM to be the bouncy dog stressing out other dogs. I’m constantly getting lectures from people saying ‘Just let him play!’. When I tell them I don’t think it’s okay to let my dog approach and hassle other dogs, even if it’s entirely good natured on my dog’s part, they just look completely mystified. 
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »
Had a bordie collie race up to Humphrey on Sunday, he was already on the lead as I‘d seen owner and dog approaching us. „I don‘t have a lead with me, “ was the only comment I got! . It was in the middle of nowhere and guy was evidently not expecting company but nevertheles......I was just glad OH was with me to help fend the collie off, the owner didn‘t seem bothered at all!  >:D

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »
The one that really annoyed me when I had Ben was if people let their dogs run and bounce on him I would say that he would bite if he was anxious and they would say 'it will teach my dog a lesson'  :dunno:  Now in many sitations I am all for letting dogs sort things out themselves, but if you have just been warned your dog will get bitten by a very stressed out dog would you think that was a good idea. Is it me ??

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:44:58 PM »
On the beach at Colwyn Bay today, we were just leaving the beach when a greyhound went bounding over, Ollie is reactive too and OH had him on the reel, Ollie just wants Mum or Dad to pick him up, so the dog quickly moved on - the greyhound noticed a cockerpoo off lead and bounced the dog who had a ball just rolled over on back, his owner was clearly upset, it was clear the greyhound just wanted to play - but if I was on my own I would have been horrified.

All we could hear was a whistle in the distance and it was the distance the owner of the greyhound made no attempt to alter his pace and get the dog under control.  It was a few minutes later when the owner was approaching that the dog came back to him, he made no attempt to say anything.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
The one that really annoyed me when I had Ben was if people let their dogs run and bounce on him I would say that he would bite if he was anxious and they would say 'it will teach my dog a lesson'  :dunno:  Now in many sitations I am all for letting dogs sort things out themselves, but if you have just been warned your dog will get bitten by a very stressed out dog would you think that was a good idea. Is it me ??

we hear the comment " it will teach him a lesson".  wish I could teach some people a lesson in dog management
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----