Author Topic: Itchy cocker  (Read 252 times)

Offline annclare

Itchy cocker
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
Matte, my 6 year old black and tan, has started scratching a lot! No sign of fleas! When I got him from a breeder 2 years ago, she gave me some of the dry food he was on - Pro-plan Salmon Sensitive Skin and he is still on this. I messaged the breeder, as we have kept in touch, and it appears he has always had a bit of a skin problem. She also used to give him Yumeja Skin Supplement so I will start him on that again. Wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for this problem; he's making me itchy too!

Offline Barry H

Re: Itchy cocker
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
Have a look at my recent thread as had the same problem, now pretty much sorted thanks to Pam and Dermacton.  Worth mentioning that a change of food may help more than anything.  Jack was on Millies Wolfheart but have changed to Acana recently as an experiment.  No more itching.  Of course, all dogs are different and I'm definitely not saying that Millies was a factor, but wanted to check the possibility.  Could equally have been the hot weather, an allergic reaction to something external or just 'one of those things' sent to try us, but a change of food may be something worth trying too...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=119873.0

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Jinley was a very itchy dog and it drove us mad!  Had her allergy tested and had to exclude many things (biscuits being one of them due to the potatoes / rice / wheat element in them). 

She has always been raw fed, so went back to basics.  However this time of the year she starts again for a few weeks due to the acorns and oak leaves in the woods where we walk (another positive on allergy testing).  I didnt want to go down the route of Apoquel (spelling sorry) with the vets as it only suppresses the itching rather than dealing with the reason.

Offline BonnieScot

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:51:06 PM »
We use a little spoon of coconut oil (to eat) and that seems to help cats and dogs with skin things. My little border terrier was a poor soul with lymphoma and I think all the chemicals made her skin yucky. Coconut oil on top of a nice clean diet made a big difference for her.

Offline annclare

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
Thank you folks; I'll certainly be buying from Aromesse. x

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:36 AM »
Thank you folks; I'll certainly be buying from Aromesse. x

Just seen this thread,  it is certainly good stuff.  I think I should be on commission with them! 😃

Pam, Oliver and Poppy

Offline annclare

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
Now fully stocked with Aromesse products, coconut oil and Yumega so thanks to everyone for good advice.   

Offline Barry H

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
Now fully stocked with Aromesse products, coconut oil and Yumega so thanks to everyone for good advice.
Fab!  Please post an update and let us know how you get on.  Many threads like this just fade out and we're none the wiser...