Author Topic: Cocker (1) still not house trained  (Read 251 times)

Offline Elisha9

Cocker (1) still not house trained
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
I can not fault my girl. Sheís amazing, doesnít need a lead, cuddle bug, out with me constantly.
BUT still not house trained properly! I have NEVER had this problem with any dog Iíve owned. My Collie was trained at 6 months. Poppy is now 1 and still doing her business in the house! Sheís shut in kitchen with Paisley at night and I get up to mess. If Iím out for too long. Mess. If Iím upstairs doing something and lock her in sometimes I come down to it! Iím struggling to find a way to get her to stop! She doesnít ask to go out! Neither dogs do, but Paisley will hold all day if she has too! Not Poppy. She did well for a while. No accidents at all. Then all of a sudden she started again. Itís been a year of this nearly and with a 4 year old itís a nightmare as I have to keep her out of the kitchen constantly while Iím sorting the dog out! Any advice??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Elisha9

Re: Cocker (1) still not house trained
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »
Should probably add itís when No one is with her. She comes out with me and over familyís house and she does nothing. Sheís perfect!
Itís when sheís shut in the kitchen day or night. If door is left open sheíll go outside but I canít leave it open 24/7. [emoji2360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
Difficult to give any definitive answer without knowing the dog. Our suggestion that it only happens when she is left may either be the key or a red-herring. Perhaps worth a chat with the vet to make sure there is no physical issue and/or some sessions with a good behaviorist who can work with you and Poppy

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
Had real issues with Rosie when we tried to get Her to sleep in the kitchen ( originally tried a cage..that lasted 2 nights) one evening she dragged Her bed into the lounge over to the door where She could look up stairs ( had a cat at that time so we had a stairgate so the cat could sleep upstairs away from the dog), we didnt have the heart to move the bed back so left Her where She was...never had a puddle or mess from that moment....cat no longer with us so Rosie now sleeps upstairs with us.A dog trainer explained it as this..dogs are pack animals and we are part of the pack, some dogs are happy knowing the pack is near, some have to be part of the pack....When Rosie knew exactly where the rest of the pack where She was fine, being shut in the kitchen away from Her pack was obviously quite stressful for Her.......

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
Ambler54 - that makes a lot of sense.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
I got my dog at seven months old. He wasn't house trained because he was kept outside before I got him. I used toCrate him whenever I was out and when I was in bed. He wouldn't do his business in his crate. This took a number of weeks but it did the trick.