Author Topic: Bailey The Rescued Cocker  (Read 1831 times)

Offline theshrew

Re: Bailey The Rescued Cocker
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2021, 01:47:14 AM »
Good news - Jill has been back at work this week, piece and quiet for meeeeeeee  :luv:

Obviously its the same at home but on a walk his frame of mind really affects how the walk goes

Monday - What a bloody mere, Sulk central - walked like we just got him, sniff sniff sniff wouldn't really walk.
Tuesday - Better but similar
Wednesday - He will sit on the same sofa with but if i sit at the other end = progress on walk to
Thursday - If i call him he sometimes comes and sits with me on my sofa

Friday - He's come and really get nestled in with me - He walked brilliantly today.

Re set weekend incoming  :huh:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »
Hes doing brilliantly. My neighbour fostered a stud dog, from a very well known Crufts champ breeder,Springers. . He was well cared for health wise,but that was it. Institutionalised from living in a kennel, he took a year to get over his neuroses. On a lead ,he just lay cowering. He later became a wonderful,loving boy.   
There is so much for Bailey to cope with, scents, noise, sights, let alone meeting people and dogs, and understanding his instincts.
From my experience,  kennelled breeding dogs, from good or bad backgrounds,  have more complex problems than a rescue stray.  They just need time, a routine, peace and love!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 01:42:00 AM »
Yes i think you are correct really, I think i probably expect to much to soon from him.

The fact he shows so much promise. I'ts clear to see he has the potential to be a normal happy dog yet within a blink of an eye he reverts to the opposite is sooooooo frustrating.

Actually he's started to bond with me a little more this last week or so and let his guard down.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:37 PM »
Institutionalised is a good description.  I think you don't really understand the complex needs of an ex-breeding rescue until you have one.  Progress may be slow, but going in the right direction.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 12:33:00 AM »
He certainly is  :luv: 

The change in him since the start of the year has been quite a lot tbh. He trusts me a lot more now, the more he trusts you the more love he gives back which is very rewarding.

Hopefully that will progress into trusting me when were outside to - Id love for him to be off lead eventually, thats a big ask though and would be a long time coming i think. 

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 09:55:40 PM »
From memory it took over a year for Lara to have a reasonable amount of trust in us, and longer with hubby as I think the puppy farmer was male.  Time will make such a difference, stick with it.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
You are making progress with him, small steps going forward (ok occasional backward too ) but in the main going forward

Loving reading his progress  :luv: