Author Topic: Yup, another Separation Anxiety problem  (Read 185 times)

Offline Lucy and Denzel

• Site Member
Yup, another Separation Anxiety problem
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:01:17 PM »
Apologies for starting yet another thread on this old problem but it is actually getting worse!
Weve had 4yr old Harley just 7 weeks since mid Nov and hes always been a very upset when we have to leave him. Were both working shifts in the NHS and work our hours around the dog, normally our days will clash just one day a week but occasionally itll be 2 days. On those days weve a dog walker mid morning come in and Im always home for lunch so hes alone for a max of 3hrs, if that.

Ill hear him crying as I near the house and upon opening the door Ill find hes peed and often had a no2. Hes also turned the kitchen upside down and once even destroyed his bed!

Well usually walk him before we leave even at stupid oclock and leave him with a goodie filled Kong, chew or pigs ear but hes just not interested in them.
We originally started to leave him a few minutes then going back in without making a fuss and building it up 15mins, 30mins but hed still go into a blind panic and often pee after just a few mins. There never seemed to be any improvement.

Apart from this hes a wonderful dog but were running out of options and feel this is doing the little fella more harm than good as it looks like hes actually getting worse. 

Offline theshrew

Re: Yup, another Separation Anxiety problem
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 02:04:51 AM »
Whats his background ?

Offline Lucy and Denzel

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 09:36:33 AM »
His previous family, a mum and her two sons 7 & 9, he no previous signs of anxiety apparently.
Spoke to her last week and she said she used to leave him up to 3 hours with a few toys and the radio on when she went out. Weekdays she was able to take him to work with her but during the 1st lockdown she lost her job, she found another but had to leave Harley with an elderly relative during the day. I believe the relative was unable to give Harley much exercise if any.
So thats the first big change of routine.
Six months later she makes the decision to rehome him because her elderly relative is unable to cope with a young ball obsessed spaniel and she knows its not fair on the poor dog.
The second big change, a new home.
We are home quite a bit, both part time and both shift workers, so its not often hes left alone.
As said earlier were trying to get him used to us going out, closing the front door walking around the block for a few minutes then coming back or leaving him in a room and closing the door behind us to make a cuppa rather than him accompanying us to the kitchen but if we go out for any length of time i.e. shopping well come home to mayhem. He trashed the kitchen earlier this week!!!
We both know this is going to take a looooong time but is there anything else we could be doing?

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Fern
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:49:40 PM »
Hi Lucy,

What does he do when you leave him downstairs for example and you are upstairs?  Our Sam is only 10 months and weve found him much more able to tolerate this now but he used to whine when left downstairs even for a short time.

We still havent left him at home more than an hour but Ive been researching separation anxiety as our last dog had it and I dont want to go through it again but with bring at home so much its always a worry.

Can you play games in the house such as sit and stay/wait then find it? Or just say wait and then go out the room with the door open and ask him to wait/stay then reward?  I was watching Cesar Milan just the other day and he said to build it up from that so its like a game or a challenge.

Harley does seem to be at the extreme end of the scale though and you might need a behaviourist to help. You could find the Facebook group set up by Julie Naismith but her methods can take years to work as its such tiny increments.

Im so sorry you are going through this x
Caroline RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Lucy and Denzel

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:29:17 PM »

Can you play games in the house such as sit and stay/wait then find it? Or just say wait and then go out the room with the door open and ask him to wait/stay then reward?  I was watching Cesar Milan just the other day and he said to build it up from that so its like a game

My other half has had to isolate this week as the Covid T&T app alerted her shed been in contact with someone whod tested positive (bit difficult not too in our business...) and working with Harley both indoors and the garden with games including wait/stay, go find and getting him used to spending time in his own company and becoming more independent. It seems to be working because when we let him out into the garden hell spend more time exploring and having a good sniff around when before hed go out, have a wee and want to come straight back in.
Its just unfortunate that she cant pop out and leave him indoors because shes not allowed out for 10 days.