Author Topic: Working Cockers  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Marie

• Site Member
    • http://
Working Cockers
« on: October 08, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »
Hi
How do you know if your cocker is a working cocker??  I'm quite curious.  And what do you mean by working? Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Thanks
Marie
[span style=\'font-family:Optima\'][span style=\'font-family:Arial\']Marie and Finlay[/font][/span][/span]

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Working Cockers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »
Hi Marie

If you do a search on the forum, you'll find lots of threads on Working Cockers which will give you more info but basically, a Working Cocker comes from lines specifically bred to produce working gundogs. If you look at a Working Cocker pedigree, you'll usually see some dogs with the title FT CH, meaning Field Trial Champion whereas if you look at a show-type pedigree, you'll see some dogs with the title SH CH meaning Show Champion. There are also big differences in appearance between the Working & show-type Cocker (previous threads on the subject will tell you more about these differences)

Jane
Jane

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Working Cockers
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 04:17:22 PM »
Hi
How do you know if your cocker is a working cocker??  I'm quite curious.  And what do you mean by working? Sorry if these are stupid questions!

Thanks
Marie
[snapback]150732[/snapback]
Not stupid questions!  I know that Ben is a working Cocker because that's what the owner breeds.  They do look a bit different - I've attached a photo of Ben and I think the shape of his head is different along with his coat (he's 13 weeks in this one).  They also seem to be more active (or hyper in Ben's case) but that my just be him.  The breeder also uses hers for working rather than showing.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Working Cockers
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 10:53:39 PM »
My cockers are working type they look different to show  cockers a different shaped head, longer legs, shorter ears and leaner build (well some are but not  my Zac!!) but just as loveable.
have  a look on my website link below and you will  see  my working bred cockers an links to working cocker sites.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Working Cockers
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 02:35:01 PM »
I have a worker and a worker x show (both pups).  If you click here you will see a piccy of Mikey's daddy - Sooty.  He's a working cocker and I think Mikey is going to be very much like him when he's bigger.

HERE

Mikey has been very easy to train and is very eager to please, but does need lots of exercise or he can get very manic at home on an evening, but plenty of show cockers are like this i'm sure!! :lol:

Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline denisec

• Site Member
Working Cockers
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »
Hi there

Ghillie is a working cocker as well, if you click on the link below my signature you can view some pictures of her.

Offline miche

• Site Member
Working Cockers
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 11:34:43 PM »
Hi there

Ghillie is a working cocker as well, if you click on the link below my signature you can view some pictures of her.
[snapback]151201[/snapback]

Awww, she is lovely - she looks cheeky, just like my boys!!  How old is she now?

Penel

Working Cockers
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 11:48:07 PM »
Hi Marie,
the pic in my signature below - is both my cocker girls - Tilly is the orange and white show cocker, and Hattie is a liver and white working cocker - 'cept she doesn't work in the traditional sense, but I do a lot of clicker training, and agility with her.  :)  she was bred by someone who breeds working cockers for gundog work and also sniffer dogs.

Offline denisec

• Site Member
Working Cockers
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »
Hi there

Awww, she is lovely - she looks cheeky, just like my boys!!  How old is she now?
[snapback]151395[/snapback]

Hi Miche

She is 16wks now and she is a cheeky little thing  :D  Love to compare some pics of your little one  :)

Offline miche

• Site Member
Working Cockers
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 11:24:02 PM »
Hi there

[snapback]151395[/snapback]

Hi Miche

She is 16wks now and she is a cheeky little thing  :D  Love to compare some pics of your little one  :)
[snapback]151525[/snapback]

I've actually got 2!! :P .  Herbie is a three quarter working, quarter show, he's 12 weeks and Mikey is a working, he's 5 months.  We call them Herbie Pants and Mikey Pops

Mikey Pops

Herbie Pants

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Working Cockers
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 11:38:12 PM »
Hi Miche

Love your pups they are little smashers. I love working cockers
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Working Cockers
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 06:55:41 PM »
hi 'ghillie' - jarvis was 16 weeks last friday so same age  - she looks so sweet...

miche - your boys are edible too! :wub:

helen & jarvis x

Offline denisec

• Site Member
Working Cockers
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 11:17:18 PM »
[
I've actually got 2!! :P .  Herbie is a three quarter working, quarter show, he's 12 weeks and Mikey is a working, he's 5 months.  We call them Herbie Pants and Mikey Pops

Mikey Pops

Herbie Pants
[snapback]151665[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi Miche

They are georgous  :D