Author Topic: Grooming  (Read 973 times)

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
Grooming
« on: April 07, 2006, 03:00:33 PM »
Any tips on brushing puppies.  I have been trying to brush Pringle a little bit each day, to get her used to it, but it seems to be turning more and more into a battle.  She is just constantly barking, growling and snapping at the brush and the hand that is holding it!  She is not too bad when I have treats, but I just feel that I am having to bribe her to do everything!  My arms and hands are covered in lots of little nicks and bruises.  I look like I have been self harming!! Thank god it is still too cold for short sleeves or T shirts.  I am hoping that by the time better weather comes around she will have calmed down a bit.  But despite all this she is still an absolute joy and getting cuter by the day.  Her little head tufts are starting to develop.  She looks so sweet.  She was rummaging in her toy box the other day, lifted her head up and little tufts were standing up on end.  Can't wait until they are fully developed!!

Thanks in anticipation!
Ann and Pringle

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Re: Grooming
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:53:10 PM »
Kong do a little rubber brush that wraps round your hand so when you stroke them you are brushing them too, maybe one of these would help her get used to being brushed. I also saw a cheaper version in wilko's for about 79p.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »
The only way that  I could get Lottie to hold still and not bite the brush when she was a puppy, was to have her up on a table.

I used the work top above the washing machine, it's at a good height for me and she has always been excellent there.

SHe usually goes off to sleep.

Dont know why it works...but it does.

If you can try Pringle on a higher surface, it might work....Just be careful that she can't roll off and hurt herself.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:24:36 PM »
I was going to suggest a table - or if shes a real wriggler - try putting her up on the ironing board  :o
The instability and slight wobbble makes most dogs keep still - but its best to have another person around the first few times, in case she decided to leap off; some do  ::) ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 04:09:58 PM »
I agree, get her on a table  ;) also you have to be firm if you give up when she's misbehaving she will think that is the answer to get you to stop everytime  ;)

Offline judebt

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 02:54:25 PM »
HI.
I had exactly the same problem with Roxi and used advice from a tread that was posted, on setting them on a chair or stool. I now put Roxi on a flat chair and ask her to sit. I put the brush in my left hand and treat in a closed fist in my right. This enables me to brush her left ear first. She sits and stares at the right hand (i put it high enough that she cant reach but not too high that she loses interest). Once I finished brushing her left side I give her the treat, then get a new treat (from pocket) and switch brush over and do other side. Any time she tries to stand up to get treat I put it higher out of reach and ask her to sit.
This is working really well and By doing it everyday she is starting to know what is expected of her and sits quietly. What a pleasant difference form a wriggling, biting dog who wouldnt hold still! Hope this helps.
Judith and Roxi

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 01:31:17 PM »
I kept using treats on Paddy and one day it just dawned on him that being brushed was niiiice - and now he falls asleep.

I tried the ironing board but he was doing Kamikaze jumps off - caught him each time, luckily!  So now I sit on the floor on a cushion, put Paddy between my legs on his side, do that side, turn him over, do other side and he snores away - and no treats needed anymore, although I treat him at the end of the session.