Author Topic: First Grooming session  (Read 1020 times)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
First Grooming session
« on: April 21, 2006, 05:28:42 PM »
 Well this morning I took Blue for his first groom.  I specified to the guy that I just wanted him to be "trimmed", there was another cocker spaniel being clipped & I stated that I did not want him to be that short - just trimmed.

You're all going to guess what I am going to say next

Yes, you're right, collected him & he had virtually been scalped ! >:D  As usual didnt say anything because I was just so pleased to see Blue & take him home. 

Although his coat has come up shiny & I am sure that they have done a good job I was just really shocked to see him like this. 

I know it will grow back, soon hopefully  ;)  but I gave specific instructions that I didnt want him clipped that short & they have just ignored me.

I am now thinking about next time, obviously I am not going back to the same place, but how do I make sure that this doesnt happen again ?  Any suggestions ???

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
Re: First Grooming session
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 06:11:59 PM »
What a shame, I would have been really angry  >:D  Kalli hasn't been groomed yet but I am going to get someone to come to the house.  ;) They wont dare to do that to her or I take the clippers to them. :lol: :lol:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:26:19 PM »
Take a piccie quickly while it's freshly done and when you go to the next place, show them the picture as "Exhibit 1" of what you DON'T want done to Blue!  Also - if there are any piccies on here you like of the level of grooming/clipping you'd like - try printing it out or send a PM to the poster and ask if they can e-mail it to you to use as "Exhibit 2" - what you DO want done to Blue.

Good luck - and post some piccies too, as I'm trying to get an idea of what I do and don't like......

Offline Jenny O

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:15:04 PM »
Is there a recommended age to start grooming? I do wipe ears etc.. at home but when should she be clipped? She is only 11 weeks at the moment but starting to get a little woolly round the legs.

Thanks  :huh:

Jenny & Milly xx

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 02:50:40 PM »
I got a rubber pronged thing from the vets (large, soft) for gentle combing in the first month or so, then I got a Coat King (see the Trimming Equipment post at the top of the Grooming section for details) and use that.  To start with, not much came out but by 16 weeks, the amount was beginning to increase and by five months old, Paddy was losing the undercoat of puppy fluff and getting much silkier coat - longer, finer hairs.  I use the Coat King every other day on his ears (top and underside) and twice a week all over now, as Pads isn't prone to tangling, and it does a great job.  He loves it too: falls asleep while he's being combed, even his lugs!

D

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 06:28:43 PM »
Hi Thanks for the advice.  I have been told that it only takes a couple of weeks for the fur to grow back.  I am going to take a photo of Blue when he is at the "required" length & bring it with me - to a new groomers of course !
I am getting used to him now & I am sure that he will grow back nicely, its just not want I wanted !  Apparently I should ask for a show cocker groom & that will keep the length that I want.
Anyway I still love him  :luv: