Author Topic: jodi bit me  (Read 1611 times)

Offline jo

• Site Member
jodi bit me
« on: May 15, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »
Hi,
 My name is Joanne and I have a 10 month old golden cocker today she jumped on the sofa and when I told her to get down she growled and then bit me, not badly but I was very shaken, could someone please give me some advice on how not to let this happen again.
Thanks

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: jodi bit me
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »
Hi,

Sounds like she didn't want to do as she was told.   First, I would try and stop her getting on the sofa at all.   Shes trying to boss you about.

If she comes to you for attention, ignore her completey and then when you are ready and on your terms call her and pay attention.

You will have to go back to basics, but it does sound like shes getting to adolesant stage.

Not really an expert, but I am sure someone whos more clued up than me will offer some help.

Good Luck.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:58:18 PM »
At 10 months old, Jodi is probably experiencing what is called the Adolescent stage - basically, puppies behave like rebellious teenagers  ::)

I would suggest you do a search on the puppy threads here to find out the different ways of dealing with this behaviour. Personally, I agree with Cathy - I think you will see a significant improvement if you remove her privileges (no getting on sofa, your bed and perhaps restrict her access to certain parts of the house) and ensure that she doesn't demand your attention, but that you control when she gets fuss, play, treats etc.

This approach is known as NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free), and uses the principle that she has to work for something - so you ask her to sit before she gets a treat, wait before she gets dinner and so forth.  There are a lot of previous threads about NILIF if you search for this, as well  ;)

Don't dispair; at this age, dogs are at their most challenging, and are most likely to be handed into rescue centres :( But, with hard work, unlimited patience, and a firm, consistent approach, puppies do grow out of this "kevin" stage to become fairly stree-free members of the family  :005:

Good luck!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:46:22 PM »
Ben is 10 1/2 months and he is a challanging lad (always has been but now it's with attitude)!  We are going with the no privileges route although my daughter will insist that she needs to have him on her lap for a cuddle - this always ends with Ben mouthing too much and then give time out in his crate - I tell her in advance what will happen but teenagers know best!  Guess who he bites?  (have to say that the bite has never drawn blood but it's still a shock)

I too have read threads on this and know that it's just a phase.  If I thought Ben would be like this for the rest of his life I'd be on drugs!  I can see a lovely dog emerging but he tests the patience of a saint.  He rebels against house rules and throws what I call tantrums so I give him time out whether he likes it or not.  This seems to be working and he mouths or bites me less than the said teenager ;)

I would put her (sorry don't know her name) in her crate or in another room as soon as she does something you don't like - it has to be immediate so she knows what she is being banished for.  You only have to leave her for a few minutes, it should get the message across eventually.

I don't think you have to have a dog thats scared of you - just one that knows it's limits ........... I just hope I'm doing the right thing too  :D

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »
Take a look at the immediately previous thread - same issue with dog lunging/snapping/biting when told not to get on sofa etc.  Best advice seemed to be to buy a house line (long lightweight line) which you attach and trails round after the dog all the time.  Any time he/she does (or is about to do - even better if you can catch it first) something you don't like - chewing, jumping on furniture - you put your foot on the line, pick it up and reel her/him gently away from the problem and use a time out in another dull room so they learn to obey you and that playing up results in dull isolation.

Main thing is to avoid the urge to strangle the little sods and avoid confrontation as that will only escalate and break your dog's trust in you - you have to (hah! easily typed on a screen) stay calm.  As Corporal Jones used to say "DON'T PANIC!"

Good luck.

Denise

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 10:04:30 AM »
Am I right in thinking you should not use a crate for time out or as a punishment?
Shouldn't the crate be somewhere that a dog feels safe and wants to go into?

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:11:34 AM »
oh god,the memories of the sofa wars here have come flooding back.i too would sugest a house line(though i actually never used it on paddy,i think i should have)
NILIF is also used on paddy but not to the letter(because i'm a sucker for the,woe is me eyes,) :lol:
they do test your patience a lot >:D but some hard work now and you'll be reaping the benefits for years to come.it's true she is at an age when lots of owners give up and rehome the dog because of unruly behaviour.yet these dogs mostly turn out to be loving members of their new family and the old family miss out on years of love and loyalty.
hope you sort things out.
lyn

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »
Am I right in thinking you should not use a crate for time out or as a punishment?
Shouldn't the crate be somewhere that a dog feels safe and wants to go into?

I agree or they can associate the crate with punishment.

However timeouts shouldn't be as a result of a good telling off anyway (just a swift removal from the room without a sound and back in room once timeoout is over --- or I have been known to remove myself quietly from the room avoiding all eye contact as if they're not there and then shut myself in the bathroom/yard!).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
It sounds like you do need to try the NILIF approach - cockers can be willful little creatures and I found when Bella got into her teenage stage (still in it at 17 months) I'd kind of stopped being so firm about certain rules because she wasn't such a "puppy". So she took advantage of that and started playing up a bit, pushing the boundaries to see how far she could take things. The NILIF approach worked really well, along with being a bit more aloof, not giving her attention whenever she demanded it (oh, the gentle nuzzling of your hand whilst carrying a fluffy toy, wagging the tail and looking at you in the best doe eyes ever - not easy to resist!  :lol:) but it did make a difference.

I still have to remind myself to do all these things as I find her behaviour will be fab for a few weeks so I'll relax and go easier on her and it's fatal!  :lol: She is an opportunist in every sense of the world, bless her.  ::) :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk