Author Topic: Trimming fur between pads - any hints  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:45:40 AM »
Dave is a bit of a hair monster and the fur between the pads on his paws is very long already, so I think I should probably try and trim it a bit to stop him getting sore feet. He's obviously a wild animal with vicious fangs, very determined and doesn't really sleep deeply enough for me to 'get him' when he's unconscious. Any hints on the best way to trim his feet without causing any major trauma (to either of us   :o)

:D
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Re: Trimming fur between pads - any hints
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
It is a good idea to check between them for grass seeds.  I did Fern recently and pulled out 5 seeds that were embedded in the fur between her toes.  Usually she is really good and lets me do stuff to her, but the best place is on the wobbly ironing board cos she keeps still and its perfect height.  Plus lots of praise and treats.  To start with just cut the fur so it is level with her paw.  I only cut between because there was matting in there - I wouldn't do inbetween otherwise, but everyone has different ideas about this.  If you do you must watch out for extended webbing as Fern has in her paws.  If you are worried you could get some scissors that are blunt or curved at the end so you don't jab her if she moves, but these won't cut inbetween.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
Callie is getting the same way hairy feet wise and we are looking for good scissors to do the job, but at the moment she goes on the grooming table each and every day and gets brushed and combed this includes feet being picked up and thoroughly looked at she gets a very tasty chew(tastiest possible to keep interest as long as possible) to chew up while she's up there so the teeth are occupied. We find it best to do it mid way through a play period, ie she's not wide awake and she isn't half asleep either. Hopefully when we come to trim she'll be fine, this is currently a two person job as one holds the chew so she isn't going anywhere! Hope some of this helps when you come to trim Dave's.

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
I must add that I didn't trim Fern at all, feet or body til she was 2.  Some people said having furry feet protected them and kept them warm in winter, and others said they can collect grass seeds in summer and ice is a danger in winter if they are not trimmed, so we weren't sure which was the best thing to do, but now we feel a bit more confident, we have just done what we thought right.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:42:45 AM »
Yeah, from memory, when I had my last pup the breeder trimmed between his pads for me and said I should as his feet could get sores otherwise.. haven't been so lucky this time! The fur is pretty long and in some areas covers the bottom of his pads totally. I'm not going to touch the rest of him until he's much older but I don't want him to get sore feet!

Sounds like you've got Callie well sorted.. gonna have to bribe someone to give me a hand I think  :D

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »
Oh my, I'm worried now. 

Daisy (Dave the Bandit lookalike!) has got much hairier since she's been with us, legs and paws in particular.   :005:  I keep checking them, but not sure when I should trim, and if so how much.

Haven't found any grass seeds, thankfully,  :o  but will become much more vigilant now.  Ironing board is a good suggestion.   ;)  I also worry about her claws needing snipping, but just don't feel brave enough.  I visited the breeder recently and she showed me how to do it, but I haven't got the equipment yet - that's my excuse.   :005:  I had no idea all this would need doing so early. 

Daisy is 13 weeks now.  Is there a right time/age to start claw snipping and furry feet trimming?

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »
Not all dogs need their claws cut, Fern never has.  Some people think that if they are walked on hard ground it keeps them short.  I would agree, however Fern hardly ever walks on hard ground!  Must just be lucky!  Not sure about the answer to when to start trimming, as we were very late starters!  Fern's coat stayed short for a long time though, can't remember about her paws!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »
Hi Daisy's mum!

Black claws are a nightmare too because you can't see how far you should cut them.. doing a bit of walking on roads has definately worn Dave's down a bit though - worth a go! Decided I'm going to wait until he's in a really good mood (i.e. just woken up then try doing one paw at a time... possibly just one snip at a time!) I wouldn't worry about Daisy's legs yet it's just the fur that grows between their pads and can grow out and under their pads that can cause a problem I think???

I don't know, these puppies eh, how much trouble, may be we should just send them back  :D! Need to talk to my breeder about trade discriptions too.. I bought a blue roan and I think he's going to be black within 2 weeks aside his white surrender flag and Harry Potter lightening stike on his head!  ;)

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »
I remember the breeder telling us that we could file Fern's claws with a human nail file, and we did this for a while!  Its all coming back to me now !!

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
I remember the breeder telling us that we could file Fern's claws with a human nail file, and we did this for a while!  Its all coming back to me now !!
Max gets excited when I get my nail file out & puts his paw on my knee  :005:
He soon pulls it away though when I get the file near his claws.  ::)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Cazzie

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 02:10:58 PM »
I brush sweepies hair backwards on the top of her foot and trim the hair with scissors, I havnt done the bottom of her feet as the hair isnt long there so cant give you any tips on that one. What a grass seeds their feet harbour when they are hairy I got a real shock one day as I took out loads  :o

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 02:20:51 PM »
Oh blimey.... better have a good check for those too then!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »
Milo has hairy feet and we had abit of an ordeal the other day when I went to trim them. He had stood in a decomposing slug (porb the same one that he spread accross my living room  >:D ) and it had all dried and matted into his fur. I thought he had soem sort of gangrene!!! Yeuuch. Anyway.. that was no help whatsoever just felt like sharing!
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
Milo has hairy feet and we had abit of an ordeal the other day when I went to trim them. He had stood in a decomposing slug (porb the same one that he spread accross my living room  >:D ) and it had all dried and matted into his fur. I thought he had soem sort of gangrene!!! Yeuuch. Anyway.. that was no help whatsoever just felt like sharing!

Awwwww. I'm touched you'd share it  ;) Delightful creatures aren't they... in my head everytime I start to move very slowly towards the scissors, Dave ballons into a massive fire breathing, human eating vicious beast..

See.. look at those teeth.. LOOK AT THEM!

So need to get out more....

:shades:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
We have a similar set here! Oh so sharp and fond of fingers  >:D

Callie's nails are getting like pins as we don't have much hard surface in our garden and she's not allowed out until Monday (can't wait!) so she's had her nails done once so far and that was with Mum holding her like a baby to keep her still (thankfully she is easier to do than the Parrot I have scars I tell you!). I'm hoping with nearly two weeks of grooming table manners practice we should be able to leave the wrestling and just clip them with her stood up or at least a couple of them. Just got some scissors off eBay so hoping to trim feet soon :D