Author Topic: Dog that eats Horse Muck  (Read 3057 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mari

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1082
  • Gender: Female
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »
I hate to be the one with the negative reply. And I should say I have a poo eating cocker myself and allthough I try to discourage her, I've never been worried. It's just what dogs to  ;)  However, I read on an other forum about a dog (puppie) who got seriously ill from eating horse poop. The horse had just been treated for worms, and this treatment could (according to her) be very harmful to dogs :huh:   I don't know this is true, but it could be worth asking a vet so you'll know in the future. It sounds unlikely, but I thought I should mention it anyway. I should also mention this was a rottweiler and so he probably ate a lot more than our cockers would be able to gulp down ;)

Offline silke

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 836
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
Oh dear, I've never really thought about the dangers from horse wormer - I think I'll try even harder to get to Charlie before he can gobble down a mouthful. :P

Silke

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »
Yep, Coco loves horse poo too, and rabbit and deer etc..........  ::)  I do always try and discourage her and distract her with a firm NO and a tasty treat so she rarely gets to eat very much these days.  I can see horse wormer would not be too great and neither would wormy poo be very good for them.  >:(  Coco is certainly growing out of it now though as she used to eat her own, the cats, other dogs etc and was really determined.  Now I am conviced she just does it to wind me up  >:(  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline september

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1024
  • Gender: Female
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 08:02:47 PM »
Mine is worse!

Today Roxy DUG UP some cat poo from our garden and ATE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P

OH my god! gross ming little doggie! :005:

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
I once met someone who said that their puppy stole their baby's pooey nappy when they were changing it and ate the contents  :o :o :005:  I believe there is a conspiracy of silence about this particular doggy habit - I had never heard of it until I got a dog myself and suddenly everyone's dog does it  ::)  :lol:
Julie and Watson

Offline magicflower

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 795
  • Gender: Female
  • Ruby-doos!
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 10:18:24 PM »
I have to admit that Ruby is a pooh eater!

We went for a walk last week and she discovered sheep pooh! Yum yum!  :P


Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline Boof

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5408
  • Gender: Female
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
Ozzy loves horse pooh. He comes up to the stables sometimes to play with another cocker and while I ride (he stays with someone) and between them they try to eat the muck heap.  ph34r

Offline sabrino

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1026
  • Gender: Female
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 12:09:47 PM »
yeuch dogs are sooo gross
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline CraftySam

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2331
  • Gender: Female
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »
House full of poo eaters here too.  ph34r ph34r

Sapphi was terrible when she was younger for eating poo, of any variety other than her own. She grew out of it, and so did Max. However my cocker boys show no signs of giving up the joy of poo, and they aren't fussy what variety it is.  ph34r ph34r
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Helen

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 20025
  • Gender: Female
    • helen noakes jewellery
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 01:25:55 PM »
I hate to be the one with the negative reply. And I should say I have a poo eating cocker myself and allthough I try to discourage her, I've never been worried. It's just what dogs to  ;)  However, I read on an other forum about a dog (puppie) who got seriously ill from eating horse poop. The horse had just been treated for worms, and this treatment could (according to her) be very harmful to dogs :huh:   I don't know this is true, but it could be worth asking a vet so you'll know in the future. It sounds unlikely, but I thought I should mention it anyway. I should also mention this was a rottweiler and so he probably ate a lot more than our cockers would be able to gulp down ;)

nope you're the second one with the negative reply (tho mine was not issued with a warning)...it is true, if a horse has been freshly wormed than eating the poo can cause illness.  I would say it's not a habit to ignore or encourage....there is always a 'leave' command for Jarv when he's close to munching....in fact at one stage if Jarv obeyed the 'leave' and came to me he was rewarded with a treat.  He did catch on to this and then started approaching the piles of poo as if to eat a mouthful and would catch my eye and run to me and sit for his treat...all done within nanoseconds and well before the word 'leave' actually came out of my mouth...

little tyke >:D
helen & jarvis x


Offline debbie321

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2556
  • Gender: Female
Re: Dog that eats Horse Muck
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »
I hate to be the one with the negative reply. And I should say I have a poo eating cocker myself and allthough I try to discourage her, I've never been worried. It's just what dogs to  ;)  However, I read on an other forum about a dog (puppie) who got seriously ill from eating horse poop. The horse had just been treated for worms, and this treatment could (according to her) be very harmful to dogs :huh:   I don't know this is true, but it could be worth asking a vet so you'll know in the future. It sounds unlikely, but I thought I should mention it anyway. I should also mention this was a rottweiler and so he probably ate a lot more than our cockers would be able to gulp down ;)

nope you're the second one with the negative reply (tho mine was not issued with a warning)...it is true, if a horse has been freshly wormed than eating the poo can cause illness.  I would say it's not a habit to ignore or encourage....there is always a 'leave' command for Jarv when he's close to munching....in fact at one stage if Jarv obeyed the 'leave' and came to me he was rewarded with a treat.  He did catch on to this and then started approaching the piles of poo as if to eat a mouthful and would catch my eye and run to me and sit for his treat...all done within nanoseconds and well before the word 'leave' actually came out of my mouth...

little tyke >:D

Ben loves horse poo so much that my measly gravey bones don't come near!  I must take livercake out with me (the product not the last person to post  :005: although that might help as she always has a ready supply  ;))  I think that's the only thing that Ben adores above anything else!