Author Topic: dog door flap-they dont like it!!  (Read 1299 times)

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
dog door flap-they dont like it!!
« on: October 23, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »
Hi evryone,my oh fitted a dog door flap to the back door yesterday.Primarily for our elderly toy poodle who seems to need to wee little and very often!now that she is older.We were going to buy a tiny one that would just suit bonnie but had visions of cockers with heads stuck etc and decided to get one that would suit the cockers too.
yesterday armed with treats my oh went outside and i stayed inside and we tried and tried to tempt them but the only way that they would do it was with us picking them up and shoving them through!!They each did it quite a few times like that but not on their own.Today i thought i would have another go and persuading them but each time i go out the kitchen and call them they are so frightened that they run up the stairs with their tails between their legs.I cant even get them in the kitchen today.They really dont like the flap at all....I dont want them to be frightened-they are such babies-but i need some advice-should i keep trying even though they are obviously afraid of it or should i back right off and leave it a few days and try again-or should i just completely leave it???
If any of you use these how long did your dogs take to use them??

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: dog door flap-they dont like it!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »
Have you tried propping it open until they are used to it?  Maybe the flapping flap is giving them a fright!  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
Our dog flap has been fitted a couple of months and Jasper still does not like it. He will go through if you hold it open for him - but wont push it open himself.

I recently posted a thread on the behaviour board about this and there are some useful tips which you could try. I'm afraid we're still not having much success!

Good luck!

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:59:13 PM »
I don't have a lot of advise, but we do have cat's and a cat flap so we had to teach the cats how to do it!

Firstly, I think you may have scared them by pushing them through!  So first of all, to get them anywhere near the flap I'd feed them by it, play with them by it etc etc! all good things happen by the flap!  Then when they're fine with the flap there, go out side, maybe you'll need OH to hold the flap open, then make loads of silly noises to try to get them to come and play, lots of treats etc!  Even if they just stick their head through, click and treat (if you clicker train!) every tiny further step they make, treat them for it!  Hopefully they will eventually get the hang of it!

Good luck!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »
Does the flap have a removeable 'door flap?' I guess most cats dogs etc don't like them as its the fear of going through something where they can't see the other side? Maybe if you can remove the flap part they may get inquizative? Just a thought..

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »
Do you have any friends whose dog already uses a flap?  We had exactly the same problem with Millie.  Then my friend's collie came round, learnt it in ten seconds flat (don't you just loathe collies sometimes?  :005:) and spent five minutes whizzing through and - very visibly - getting a treat every time.  It just took my little gannet-bonce another two minutes to get the hang of it and she's been using it happily ever since.  :D :D

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:02 PM »
Mine were fine with it quite quickly.

One tip, find a neighbours cat and get it to walk repeatedly across the garden, the dog will be desperate to chase after it...

We threw a tennis ball through ours as Jasmine would always follow....

Once you get one doing it they will all follow..
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:07:32 PM »
Maybe you could try taking the flap off & just keep tempting them through it with treats & then when they are happy to go through then fit the actual flap.
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 07:03:33 PM »
I'd try fixing the flap up or taking it off to start with. I have one and my lot use it with no problems but Alfie was already used to it when I got him as his breeder had one out into his courtyard and Tilly and Rodaidh just copied him.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/