Author Topic: Any coats remain good after castration?  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Any coats remain good after castration?
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:06:41 PM »
Just been reading Bibthediva's post about Biba's coat since she's been spayed and I wondered if there are any dogs that have retained nice coats after they've been 'done'?

Trev turned into a complete sheep after he was castrated and although I don't really want to I'm going to have to have Dave's bits off as he's still only got one ball. The vet was trying 'encouraging' me to book him in today when I was chatting to her but I keep putting it off  :-\ Has anyone got a dog who's coat hasn't been affected?

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: Any coats remain good after castration?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
Lilys is fine! I dont handstrip (too impatient) but try and just use a coat king once a month as I've heard over use can make them go a bit funny. I thin out her ears, head and legs. Think Lily was spayed around 6 months and she'll be 2 in july but still has nice smooth shiny hairy (although it doesnt always lie smooth!) Krums a worker so a bit different but his coat hasnt changed a bit since castration.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »
what about ClaireP's Zorro?  I'm pretty sure he's been 'done', and he always looks fab  :luv: :luv:  I also think  it depends on the coat - I know gold really seems to blow, but you may get away with it a bit more with a blue roan.

I am in no way an expert since I have a very unkempt brown thing with dead gingery hair at the moment, and he still has his crown jewels .... ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:25:25 PM »

Golds and blacks do seem to fare the worst.

I've met a few people with Cockers that claim the coat hasn't changed following neutering but even with my uneducated eye I can tell it has - at least changed from what an entire, handstripped Cocker would look like. Sometimes if a pup was neutered at an early age ( ie before the silky adult coat had time to come through) then the owner wouldn't notice. Also if they've been clipped from an early age the coat would have altered anyway, so neutering has a less apparent effect. It does vary from  dog to dog though - some fare better than others. 

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »

I've met a few people with Cockers that claim the coat hasn't changed following neutering but even with my uneducated eye I can tell it has - at least changed from what an entire, handstripped Cocker would look like. Sometimes if a pup was neutered at an early age ( ie before the silky adult coat had time to come through) then the owner wouldn't notice. Also if they've been clipped from an early age the coat would have altered anyway, so neutering has a less apparent effect. It does vary from  dog to dog though - some fare better than others. 

yeah thats true... still I'm happy Lily aint no black sheep...in looks at least  ph34r

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
I also think  it depends on the coat - I know gold really seems to blow, but you may get away with it a bit more with a blue roan.

Thats not what i want to hear  :005: as i dont think we will be keeping Lolas lady bits intact  ph34r..will see how her first season goes  :-\

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:28:17 PM »
Although Sally is a worker she is quite a heavy coated worker and I have started having to have her clipped as she just got so fluffy and she always looked a mess and also alot fatter than she actually is, she looks great now  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »
Fern was speyed last year and her coat is brilliant  :D  (working cocker)  edited to add - black and white - mainly white tho

Braan was done beginning of march (I think) this year and so far his coat is brilliant too  :D  (liver working cocker)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »

Great  >:(

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »

Here's Jimmy 2 months before neutering...

And here he is a year after the op...

I'd hoped the changes wouldn't have been so obvious as he had a non-trim, fine, silky coat. Since the second photo ( which is about 3 years old now) it deteriorated a hell of a lot more, partly through use of the coat king and thinners as both can damage the coat further... eventually it starts to grow back wavey and tufty.

I do think blue roans and some other colours get away with it better though. Also it depends on your reason for wanting to neuter - Jimmy was done because Misty arrived on the scene, so one of them had to be done. He's still basically the same dog, just looks a bit different.  :lol2:

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »

Here's a more recent pic, prior to me clipping the tufty bits...

Cazzie

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:54:31 PM »

Here's a more recent pic, prior to me clipping the tufty bits...

Id love him, please post him to me  :luv: Dont care what his coat looks like and infact he would keep me warmer in bed  :luv: :005:

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
this is barkley 12 months after being castrated. he's working type so perhaps it's different, and obviously i don't know what his coat would have been like if he hadn't been 'done' but people regularly compliment him on how soft it is and he's pretty glossy.

he IS pretty fluffy but that's probably because i have done absolutely nothing to it.  ph34r he is 2 1/2 now so maybe it'll change in time but i've got no complaints about it at the moment. :)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:58:48 PM »
Oooh how cute is he! He is pretty fluffy for a worker but yeah he's not going sheep like which is good

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »
Oooh how cute is he! He is pretty fluffy for a worker but yeah he's not going sheep like which is good

awww... i shall pass your compliments on and watch his head swell.  :005: he is VERY fluffy at the moment (this was taken back in december and it's gotten even more so since then) and finally getting the start of a top knot which he's never had before (much like nicola describes alfie in the other thread). think my OH would prefer him to look a bit neater but i love him like this.  :luv:
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'