Author Topic: Is This a Reasonable Price?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline t1gg3er

• Donator
  • Darby & Dexter
Is This a Reasonable Price?
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:26:22 PM »
There's a new dog grooming service in our area.  The lady has set up an 18 foot transit as a mobile salon.  She comes to your house but does everything in the van - shampoo, trim, blow dry, nails etc... so no flooded bathroom from having them done at home & they're not stuck waiting for hours in a salon either.

She's quoted me £31 to trim Mindy's rear end (about the only place she gets a lot of hair) & shampoo/blow dry her plus £15 each for Darby & Dexter (pups) to have a shampoo/blow dry just to get them used to the experience.

Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price for this kind of service?  Also, is it worth paying £15 each for the 2 puppies (they'll be 19 weeks & 16 weeks when they're done) or should I save the money & bath them myself?
Vanessa, Rob, Boys & Doglets
x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Is This a Reasonable Price?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »
I did some phoning around for Jarvis, and £27-30 was the going rate here, which includes, bath, clip, claws, and anal glands.

I think if you plan to use a groomer for the pups later on it's worth getting them used to the experience of someone else handling them now. ;)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
Does this include a cut?

I pay £35 for Sam to be handstripped and they cut his feathering, feet, rear end and ears.  If his nails need clipped, they will do this too at no extra cost.
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline t1gg3er

• Donator
  • Darby & Dexter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:46:23 PM »
Does this include a cut?

I pay £35 for Sam to be handstripped and they cut his feathering, feet, rear end and ears.  If his nails need clipped, they will do this too at no extra cost.

For the pups it's just a bath & blow dry.  For Mindy it's bath, slight trim & blow dry.  She's a working type so not that hairy.  The only bit that needs tidying up is around her rear & down the back of her back legs.  She's not got any knots or anything like that, just looks a little straggly.  She doesn't even need her ears trimming as they're clear inside & look lovely as they are.  If her nails needed doing that would be £5 extra but they don't need doing at the mo.

Have to say, now we have 3 of them I'm tempted to learn how to do it all myself so maybe I should bath Darby & Dexter myself then stay with Mindy while the groomer does her & watch carefully  ;)
Vanessa, Rob, Boys & Doglets
x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »
I get mine clipped, collect and return (20 mile round trip), and nails done for £25.00
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »
 :-\  I would say that is quite expensive !  £25 for full grooming clipping etc here ! 

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »
I go to Canine designs in Evercreech Somerset! It 40 mins each way so 4 trips in a day. It costs me £26 to have Maudie bathed shampooed dried clipped and cut, nails and anal glands. Alice will be £31 to stripped with all the extras!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »
I used to pay £25 for Trev for full clip and bath.. I think that's still the going rate around here. I do Dave myself now, it's not too bad an experience (he likes the buzzing from the clippers  ::) :005: but long term it's saving me a fortune as the clippers cost about the price of one grooming session  :D

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »
Just had Alfie clipped today - had a full shampoo, clip and trim on his feathering, nails done, anal glands etc all for £27 which I thought was a bargain.

For a shampoo and nail trim was going to be £15 for Purdey, but I thought I could do that myself.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 03:00:22 PM »
I have no experience really but 15 quid to bath a puppy sounds a bit ridiculous to me. Especially as there are bound to roll in something stinky within an hour of the event...

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »
Mobile people seem to charge more- more overheads I suppose? Here in Clarkston you are looking at £36 for a decent groom, and at least £30 for a clip.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 03:36:32 PM »
£15.00 is the norm where I live for a puppy wash and dry.   Indie went when she was 13/14 weeks old and was purely to get her used to being bathed and dryed at the groomers which is a completely different experience than you doing it yourself.    This was done at her grooming place though and not a mobile set-up.    1.5 hours she was there and included lots of nice play as well, just to get her used to the place.    Indie never went back but I would still do this again with a new pup.   She never went back not because of the lady but because we now go to a cocker groomer.   

For a full clip and bath round here costs £20.00 and the lady picks up the dogs from the house and delivers them back again a few hours later, a lot of cocker owners use this service but we haven't gone down the full clip route just yet. 

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 11:07:43 PM »
we were told fourty pounds for a show cut in staffordshire
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
I pay £26 for full groom wash & clip etc, but every 6th appointment I get free of charge. For a bath and groom it's £12 . I'm in greater Manchester

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:41:55 PM »
I pay £40 for Kali and Holly to get a clipper with feathers and a bath and blow dry!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe