Author Topic: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse  (Read 2135 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline EmmaA

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5630
  • Gender: Female
  • Eric
Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »
Just hoping for some advice please
Lucy and Eric have had a few fights since Lucy came to live with us in march and each time it has involved either a sock, a dog toy or a chew. I have stopped giving them anything when I am not playing with them and every thing seemed to settle down. However, today lucy has growled and sniped at Eric twice and there has been nothing around and as far as I can see Eric hasn't done anything. I have just groomed Lucy to make sure she isn't in pain and she seemed fine.
Has anyone got any ideas why she might suddenly start doing this? They have both been play fighting like normal today and seemed happy on their walks  :huh:  :huh:

Offline laurenollie

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1217
  • Gender: Female
Re: Lucy again
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:12:41 PM »
I have no idea and this is based on my own experience only as otherwise i have no idea what I'm talking about!!

But i have noticed Ollie can be more grumpy and snappy when his glands need emptying. Sometimes other dogs are more snappy at him too becasue of his glands!

Just a thought becasue i hadn't associated tglands with snapping until a dog had a go at Ollie and i posted on here about it. Colin drew my attention to it and ollies glands were full and infected.

Could be worth getting them checked out?

Anyway hope its something as simple as this!!!

L&O x

Offline joanne_v

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3554
  • Gender: Female
  • Team Edward
Re: Lucy again
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »
If its a sudden change and out of character then I'd agree that its more likely to be a medical thing. Only problem is it could be anything!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Lucy again
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
Her feeling out of sorts would probably be the most likely thing that would cause her to be grumpy... is she eating, drinking, pooing ok? I'd have a look in her ears and mouth and check her paws, legs and eyes too and if it persists and she seems out of sorts then maybe take her to the vet for a check up.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline EmmaA

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5630
  • Gender: Female
  • Eric
Re: Lucy again
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
I gave her a thorough going over and everything seems ok. She let me look down her ears and poke round her feet and groom her whole body so I don't think she's in pain. She has been lying down on walks for the last couple of days though which is strange for her  :huh: But then it has been pretty warm again  :huh:
She has sniped at Eric in the past but only if she had a chew or toy or something and I just put that down to her telling him it's not for him. But for her to have go at him just for walking past her is not good.

Offline joanne_v

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3554
  • Gender: Female
  • Team Edward
Re: Lucy again
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »
Even a small change like could indicate something is up with her. I'd take her to vet if it happens agin or if you notice anything else different about her.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline BabyB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2555
  • Gender: Female
Re: Lucy again
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
If she's started to lay down on walks recently and this isn't 'usual' for her, then I'd get your vet to give her the once over just to be sure  ;)

You've done wonders already with her  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline EmmaA

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5630
  • Gender: Female
  • Eric
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
I just don't know what to do now.
Today Eric and Lucy had a bit of a fight, no one was hurt and it was kind of my fault because I gave them a biscuit when they were right next to each other.
However, twice today Eric has growled at Lucy when she has come near me. I don't know what to do. I feel like I am letting Lucy down by not being able to help her but now i feel like I am letting my boy down because he isn't happy either  :'( :'( :'(
I am so upset i don't know what to do. I have put them both to bed and can't stop crying

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2458
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »
Ring me on my mobile if you want a chat, im up xx

Offline SkyeSue

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5139
  • Gender: Female
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »
So sorry that you're feeling like this Emma, perhaps give Jo a ring, I think you've got a supportive friend there  ;) Take care of yourself, we'll be thinking about you  :luv:


Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Top Barks

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5234
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »
Ring me on my mobile if you want a chat, im up xx

If I can help at all even with just a chat just PM me and I'll send you my number.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)
 
Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline *Lucy*

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2300
  • Gender: Female
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
Oh Emma sorry you are feeling down!

I have no idea about these kind of things at all but I do know my own dogs and Molly growls at Honey all the time - when she's walking passed her, sitting next to her, walking near me etc BUT they do love each other, that I can tell!

My point is, some dogs are just like that, not all dogs are lovable towards each other all the time - and it is still early days for your 2!

Also maybe the dogs are sensing your tension, like when Lucy is coming near you, you maybe feeling a little nervous and Eric can tell your not comfortable, so that makes him nervous and he growls?

Like I said I know nothing and I'm waffling on, sorry!

Deffinitely phone Jo or Mark! ;)


  My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline waggytails

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2320
  • Gender: Female
  • Millie and Hattie
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »
I'm sorry i cant really help, please don't sit there and cry, you are not on your own with this, there are people on here who do have plenty experience and are willing to help.  :luv:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline EmmaA

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5630
  • Gender: Female
  • Eric
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 10:38:32 PM »
Thanks everyone.
I have spoken to Jo, my rock and i feel a bit better now  :-*
I will try my best to get through this because I owe it to Eric and Lucy. And Lucy will be straight off to the vets on Monday just for a good check over. 

Offline *Lucy*

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2300
  • Gender: Female
Re: Lucy again - update please help things are getting worse
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
Glad your feeling better  :-*

Always good to have a chat! xx


  My Girls - Molly & Honey