Author Topic: Madness getting ready for a walk - update #1  (Read 4752 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rats and Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6033
  • Gender: Female
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
Well, I put my boots on, ignored them and then went out to B&Q  :005: I'm about to do the leads......this is always a big problem  ::) I'll report back later.
It could be midnight before they get their walk tonight! :005: Good luck with it though, I'm sure your perseverance will pay off.

I've been making puppy Duggie sit to get his collar on too, as the first time I put it on him was hilarious, he was rolling around on his back fighting with me, but now he sits and lets me put it on. :D

Gari was always very good going on walks, he would run to the sideboard his things were in and sit to get his collar on, he would be there before I was! But when I was putting my shoes on, he'd be on the bed with his paws around my neck and it'd take me twice as long to get ready. he would then have a few jumps and spins at the door and then sit and wait for me to open it. Maybe that's not very good to others, but it was always good enough for me! :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge


Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
Hannah, you are a complete star!! Thank you so much!! We have exactly what you described with Alfie - screaming with excitement from the first shoe being put on, right until we get out on the walk. Purdey doesnt scream but she leaps around and bites at hands trying to get her lead on because she is so excited. Will try this and hope it works.

 :005: :005: Funnily enough... (although you won't be surprised) Trev was a screamer  :luv: ;)

Well, I put my boots on, ignored them and then went out to B&Q  :005: I'm about to do the leads......this is always a big problem  ::) I'll report back later.

SO SO feel for you, it won't be a quick fix but with consistency and a few weeks they WILL get the message.. hang onto that thought! In the meantime invest in a lot of after-walk wine to keep you sane  :005: :-* :-*

x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 08:33:16 PM »
Well, I put my boots on, ignored them and then went out to B&Q  :005: I'm about to do the leads......this is always a big problem  ::) I'll report back later.

SO SO feel for you, it won't be a quick fix but with consistency and a few weeks they WILL get the message.. hang onto that thought! In the meantime invest in a lot of after-walk wine to keep you sane  :005: :-* :-*

That and a set of industrial ear muffler things for Colin, is that what you went to B&Q for? :lol2: :lol2:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cockertime Blues

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1683
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »
Great thread.  I need to work harder on this.  Mollie does a bit of spinning when getting a lead on but I need to make her wait longer when she's calmed down.  No barking in the car.  They wait to get out of the car but I need to be pretty swift with leads so I need to make them wait longer - till I'm ready.  However, if we've gone to the beach, you would think that going from car to beach I was competing in the Iditerod with two huskies.  They are too desperate to be off to pay attention even when told to sit and wait.  I'd better start working harder on that.

Offline jools

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2506
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
Well, I survived.....just!  :005: I took them out to the car one at a time, stopping every time they pulled....took ages. My poor OH couldn't stand it and took my son out for a bike ride. I made each dog sit at the car and didn't open the boot until they were sitting calmly. I then said "in" and they jumped into the car.

As we turned into the country park, they started their mentalness again. We usually walk there, so they know where they're going, but TBH, wherever I walk them, they start going mental as soon as the car slows down.  >:( Anyway, I stopped the car every time they started the barking nonsense and didn't start again until they were calm.

I was feeling very smug by this stage and my intention was then to get them out of the car calmly....the dogs had other ideas. They charged as soon as I opened the boot a tiny but and that was that idea out the window.  :lol2:

I know this isn't going to be easy, but I have to do it. It's my own fault they're like this...and it was just about OK with the 2 of them, but now that Coco, AKA Scrappy Doo's started joining in, it's just too much.  :005:

This whole (long) process will be fine for their big evening walk, but their early morning walk will have to be different approach, I'm afraid. I'm going to go with Hannah's suggestion of letting them out the back, getting ready and then picking them up round the side of the house. I'll not have to worry about that tomorrow tho as they're off to daycare.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress, and perhaps others who are trying it can do the same.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions....and a special thanks to Nic who was subjected to my very sweary texts when I was out walking  :lol2: ph34r

With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 10:22:44 PM »

Thanks everyone for their suggestions....and a special thanks to Nic who was subjected to my very sweary texts when I was out walking  :lol2: ph34r


I didn't notice any difference to your usual texts :P :lol2: :lol2: 

It'll probably take a while but they'll get the hang of it eventually :luv:  Colin and Roan might be ready for the Tour de France by then :shades: :lol2:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cazza

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7245
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk - update #1
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »
Good luck Jools - will be watching your updates  :D hope you manage to perserver and remember it only takes one time to let them get their own way cos you are in a rush to do the walk and get back home again for whatever reason and that will take you back a few steps - so be prepared for good days and then off days until you have cracked it 100%

I'm sure you will have this sorted really soon  :luv:

Offline kalem

  • Limited Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2495
  • Gender: Female
  • Me and my Gal xx
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk - update #1
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 10:58:56 PM »
Thats brilliant, im watching this and trying to take it all in  ::) Another one here who rolls himself on the floor, grabs my hand when im trying to put his collar on, and then runs to the door and nearly goes through it  >:(, pulls me out and all the rest, All my fault I know so will try some of this tomorrow  :D

Glad your first trial went well  :D

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk - update #1
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »
Big big hugs to all of you... you're doing really well.

Once you're in the mindset of 'managing' them and have got the hang of the new way you do things, it will get a lot easier and they'll start to give up being loons... but it will take a while, particularly with youngsters...  :-* :-* :-*

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Rats and Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6033
  • Gender: Female
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk - update #1
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
Well done for your perseverance Jools, they will eventually get the gist of what you're trying to do and will realise that's it's to their benefit that they sit nice and wait. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing about the next instalment! ;)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge