Author Topic: Ammended Colours For Registering Cocker Spaniel Puppies  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Kathyf

• Limited Member
Ammended Colours For Registering Cocker Spaniel Puppies
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »
Are breeders aware that the Kennel club have recently amended their 'Accepted listed of Registered Colours' for registering puppies.  

Chocolate and Tan puppies can no longer be accepted for registration despite still being recognised by the Cocker Club. A colleague of mine has just tried to register 3 chocolate and tan puppies and had the registrations returned as the colour is no longer a recognised colour.

I have contacted the kennel club about this and have been told that the colours can be amended but this has to come via the Breed Council.  I have contacted the Secretary of the Breed Council but as yet had no reply.  The Cocker Club do not seem to be aware so far that the Kennel Club have gone ahead and changed the colour list.

Chocolate and Tan is a very popular colour and there must be a lot of breeders and show people out there who will suddenly find (like me) that they are unable to register chocolate and tan puppies unless we can get the Kennel Club to reinstate the Chocolate and Tan colouring for cockers.

Please help.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: AMENDED COLOURS FOR REGISTERING COCKER SPANIEL PUPPIES
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »
I'm not trying to bring up the liver/chocolate row but have you tried registering as 'liver and tan' :dunno:
helen & jarvis x

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »
I'm not trying to bring up the liver/chocolate row but have you tried registering as 'liver and tan' :dunno:

that's what I was going to suggest but also didn't want to broach the subject  ph34r  ;)

Offline Kathyf

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
That's fine and would be the obvious answer  if liver and tan was there but......it's not.  The Kennel Club have apparently gone ahead and amended the colour list without the approval of the Bree Council.  The colour list as it stands is now

Black,  Black and Tan,  Black and White,  Black and White Ticked,  Black White & Tan,  Blue Roan,  Blue Roan and Tan,  Brown,  Brown and White,  Chocolate,  Chocolate and White,  Chocolate Roan,  Chocolate Roan and Tan,  Gold,  Gold and White,  Golden,  Lemon,  Lemon and White,  Lemon Roan,  Liver,  Liver and White,  Liver Roan, Orange and White,  Orange Roan,  Red,  Sable,  Tricolour

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
Unless it has changed recently I didn't think there was an official list of colours for Cockers in terms of KC registration :huh: I've heard of Cockers being registered as 'champagne' etc. as the KC doesn't keep a list because of all the possible permutations of colours and patterns in Cockers.

The breed council still have the colour on their website under the list of Cocker colours and they describe it as chocolate/liver and tan so allowing for both preferences on the naming - http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/colours.htm  

Black,  Black and Tan,  Black and White,  Black and White Ticked,  Black White & Tan,  Blue Roan,  Blue Roan and Tan,  Brown,  Brown and White,  Chocolate,  Chocolate and White,  Chocolate Roan,  Chocolate Roan and Tan,  Gold,  Gold and White,  Golden,  Lemon,  Lemon and White,  Lemon Roan,  Liver,  Liver and White,  Liver Roan, Orange and White,  Orange Roan,  Red,  Sable,  Tricolour

That list is odd... just as one example from it you can register a dog as a 'chocolate roan' or a 'chocolate roan and tan' and then there's a corresponding 'liver roan' option but no 'liver roan and tan'.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Kathyf

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »
The official list of colours can be found on the KC site

KC on line services
Breed information centre
Spaniel cocker
Accepted registered colours

It is the column on the right hand side

There has always been a long list to trawl through when you register a litter of pups.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Ammended Colours For Registering Cocker Spaniel Puppies
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
I always thought that chocolate roan and liver roan were the same thing :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline Kathyf

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
Me too - the same with gold and golden   chocolate and brown etc

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
The official list of colours can be found on the KC site

KC on line services
Breed information centre
Spaniel cocker
Accepted registered colours

It is the column on the right hand side

There has always been a long list to trawl through when you register a litter of pups.

Link: http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/breeds/colours.aspx?id=2052  :blink:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
The list is very bizarre - can't understand why they have 3 options for the same thing - brown, liver, chocolate for example and exclude other popular colours.  :huh:  Don't see why liver and tan is any different to black and tan for their purposes :dunno:

Have you spoken to anyone at the KC about it  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »
Is that a recent thing? My belief was based on posts on COL from breeders who have registered litters that the KC do not stipulate colours for Cocker registrations. Just to pick on Jane as an example as these were the first two I found but of everyone on the forum she is probably the best person to ask anyway...

Hopefully in time the Kennel Club wll give Clarity on what colours we can and can't use when registering as it is becoming a wee bit ridiculous :005: ;)

Don't hold your breath on that one ;) The Cocker Breed Council have spent years asking for the KC to do this and they won't because there are so many possible colours & coat patterns in Cockers. The KC have limited registrations to certain colours for a few breeds but only where there's a limited range of colours in the first place.

The KC will accept any colour for Cocker registations. There was an attempt a while ago to get the KC to limit registrations to traditionally accepted colours but this was rejected so anything goes really - I often see registrations for "champagne" Cockers not to mention "apricot roan" etc ::)

If it is a recent change then it is a very odd list - I don't think I've ever seen a Cocker I would describe as 'gold and white' in colour or a 'black and white roan' :huh:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
Surely that list is just a guideline of what colours exist and not a rule for what colours can be registered - there's never been any restrictions on this hence all the Cockers that get registered as fanciful invented colours like champagne, apricot and strawberry etc. It's not even a very good list - they've got gold & white listed but have missed out a few traditionally recognised colours.

Offline Kathyf

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
No unfortunately that is the official list.  You cannot register a different colour - which is the point of my topic.  The lack of being able to register  any form of  a very popular Chocolate and tan cocker spaniel puppy whether it be chocolate and tan, liver and tan, brown and tan which is in great demand. They have black and tan.  Chocolate and tan has been a recognised colour for years and years and not some silly made up colour like champagne or strawberry blonde.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
The Cocker Club do not seem to be aware so far that the Kennel Club have gone ahead and changed the colour list.

Err, yes they are ;) It seems that the KC is trying to pass the buck by saying the Breed Council can apply to change the colours when it is the KC which has apparently gone ahead and drawn up this computerised list of colours for registrations without consultation with either the Breed Council or the Cocker Club :huh: I'm sure it will get sorted out eventually but the wheels of the KC do grind very slowly sometimes.

PS This is a recent change so that's why all posts on this subject previously have said that any colour at all could be registered because in the past they could.
Jane

Offline Kathyf

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:31:36 AM »
Can't comment on the ps.

I was just bringing it to everyone's attention as a breeder and owner of a chocolate and tan bitch who produces pure chocolate and tan pups.  I also have friends who are fellow breeders in the same situation who were totally unaware and alarmed when I told them.   I only found out by a colleague having her registrations refused and checking it out myself.

As for the other colours I am afraid I have never tried to register obscure colours only having  a Blue roan, chocolate, chocolate and tan, chocolate roan & tan, solid black and black and tan cocker.