Author Topic: Question about protein in dog food  (Read 631 times)

Offline Trixie780

• Tucker - April 2009
Question about protein in dog food
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
We are currently feeding our 11 month old cocker Hill's Science Diet Nature's Best (chicken) which has 30.1% protein and are about to transition him to Royal Canin Cocker Spaniel which has 25% protein.  I've been reading articles that suggest that high protein contents can cause hyperness and other problems in dogs.  These foods were recommended by both our breeder and vet.  I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding food choices.
Draper....July 1997 - May 2009.....Missed always

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Re: Question about protein in dog food
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
My Ellie is 5 years old now.  She came from her breeder at 8 weeks on Eukanuba, but very soon went off it.  Since then she has been on the same Hills Natures Best as your puppy.

Regarding hyperness, well she absolutely loves her walks and chases round thoroughly enjoying herself, but in the house we don't really know we have got her.  She settles as soon as she gets home and sleeps/dozes on the bed, with one eye slightly open in case we try to go out without her!  She is honestly no trouble whatsoever.  Also, our last cocker had to have her anal glands manually emptied every 4-6 weeks but Ellie's have never needed any attention.  She has been spayed but her coat is absolutely fine.  I know a lot of people say there are better food ethically than Hills, and I have considered this, but as Ellie is so happy & healthy and in such brilliant condition on Hills I am keeping her on it.

Offline Trixie780

• Tucker - April 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply!  Tucker has been on the Hill's since he was 10 weeks old.  He's not a big eater and is fairly fussy, but we haven't really noticed any problems.  However, we have recently had him to the vet for strange behaviour and anxiety (she believes he has some manic and ocd behaviours along with anxiety) and I had read an article that suggested high protein in dog food could contribute to these behaviours.  I have no idea what is considered the "right" amount of protein for an adult dog so I guess I'm just looking for input from all of the experienced cocker owners here.   ;)  Our vet has suggested that the Royal Canin Cocker is an excellent transition food.  Our last cocker was on Iams and had lots of skin, eye, and ear problems which we never linked to the food until we did some reading for this pup.  As we are trying to do everything we can to adress his issues I figured I'd look into the food thing as well.   
Draper....July 1997 - May 2009.....Missed always

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »
I was watching a TV documentary the other day about retired racehorses. Now I wouldn't have thought you would get a more highly strung animal than a thoroughbred racehorse. One thing I did take note of though was that the first thing they do with them is to greatly reduce the amount of protein in their food as it makes them a lot calmer.
I am sure that the same thing would apply to dogs especially those with a high energy drive. I know that when I changed Bonnie Boo to Burns which has a lower protein content than a lot of other food she definitely became calmer
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet