Author Topic: change of colour of tongue  (Read 528 times)

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
change of colour of tongue
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »
hello everybody,

I got a lot of help from this forum. I don't know what to say...........here the temperature is above 35 'Celsius and very much hot some times....

1> my dogs heart beat becomes very high at the time of temperature above 40'c and her tongue's colour changes from dark pink to light pink... with dry nose however after afternoon or at the time of evening she becomes normal - body temperature normal, tongue's colour changes to normal dark pink......

Please suggest - is it normal for a 4.5 month cocker spaniel?

thank you in advance

Yogesh Aggarwal.
my closest friend-

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: change of colour of toungu
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »
Aw, she's gorgeous  :luv:

The biggest concern with temperatures that high is heat stroke. Not sure if the rapid heartbeat has to do with the heavy panting but you really need to keep an eye on her that she doesn't overheat. Her symptoms sound a bit reversed from what is normal for heat exhaustion/heat stroke, you may want to take it up with your vet

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1683&aid=1683
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline dkirkuk

Re: change of colour of toungu
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:54:44 PM »
Hi Yogesh,
I live in Scotland so don't have much experience of temperatures that high, but as Spaniel Crazy has said, it is a bit unusual for her tongue to become paler when she is panting heavily (I think you would expect it to go darker as more blood is pumped by the increased heart beat).
The panting by itself is a reaction to the heat - does your house have air conditioning? Does she have easy access to water? Maybe you could keep water cool for her by dropping a few ice cubs in it from time to time.
If her tongue is going paler in the heat, it suggests to me either that the blood is being diverted to other organs as a reaction to the heat, or for some reason her circulatory system isn't working as efficiently under the heat-stress conditions.
I think you would be wise to speak to your vet. They will presumably be dealing with all the pets in your area who are living in the same conditions and will be the best placed to know what is normal and what is not, and will no doubt have some good advice.

Offline yogesh

• me and my pet
Re: change of colour of tongue
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 04:21:54 PM »
thank you for replying back.

I would like to inform you that she sits most of the time under air conditioner and water is available 24 hours a  day to her... even when her body temperature is down, only in the afternoon her tongue becomes lite pink else her tongue becomes normal red.. even when we come from walk.....

thank you.

yogesh
my closest friend-

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: change of colour of tongue
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »

The best way to cool a dog down is to cool down their feet.... so a paddling pool where she can have a little paddle is a great investment (we've got ours in preparation for this year, as when we figured it would be useful last year we couldn't find a hard plastic one anywhere!!!!)

:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020