Author Topic: Clicker training treat  (Read 358 times)

Offline Davyboy16

• Jasper 2002-2011, miss ya mate.
Clicker training treat
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
Hi, we got Woody our 14 week old show cocker last Sunday, we wanted to give him time to settle in before starting some basic training. I have tried a little already and used his kibble as the reward but he doesn't seem to be to interested in this, so I would like to find something that is higher value to use. I've read somewhere that they used cocktail sausage cut up into cubes, are these ok and does anyone have any suggestions of what I can use?

Thanks for any help.

Craig.

Offline Opher

Re: Clicker training treat
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
Our dog trainer suggests frankfurters, cheese, crab sticks and any value sandwich meat for basic training and higher value treats such as tuna, tinned sardines, garlic sausage, meatballs, sausages and burgers for recall training. Hope this helps.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
I use small pieces of cheese, chopped up cocktail sausage or cooked chicken, but that's with my adult dogs. Whatever you decide to try just use very small amounts at first in case Woody gets an upset tum.

I also make sardine bread, which is cheap, easy and can be frozen.

1 small tin sardines in tomato sauce
1 beaten egg
flour to bind together

Mash the sardines and mix them with the beaten egg. Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough. Spread on a microwaveable plate and microwave for about 3 minutes. When it's cooled down cut it into small pieces (scissors work better than a knife because it's a bit rubbery).

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »
Small bits of chicken, sausage or cheese are all great for training - most dogs love them.  As Elaine says, tuna/sardine bread is easy to make and very popular too  ;)

I would definitely find something that is high value to use for training - not surprised he is unimpressed with his normal kibble  :shades: :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
I used cocktail sausages when clicker training Alex, when he came over on the click and I gave him the sausage piece, he sat waiting for another!!  :005: not the idea Alex