Author Topic: furminator  (Read 1583 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
furminator
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
anyone got one? what do you think?

I got a loan of this and it fairly took the fluffy dead ginger stuff off  pepper cora and rolo.. the liver hair is definately more profuse tho I am lucky and rolos not as hairy as some . cora's coat is very silky but has so much, the furminator really really helped her as whenever she moves she leaves a carpet of white hair behind her.. she looks lighter now but it was all coat. I took the thinning scissors to her feathers as well. she looks far less fluffy now. I may order one of these myself..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Furminator-Dog-Shedding-Tool-Large/dp/B000FSN0A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318498395&sr=8-1

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
Re: furminator
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
A couple of weeks ago we were in PAH looking for a coatking.  We asked an assistant if they had coatkings but she told us that she had never heard of them and that what people use these days is the furminator.  We didn't get one as it was not what we were looking for.  As they don't seem to cost too much we will get one and give it a try.  We use a dematting tool quite a lot on Megans legs which stops them getting too hairy, but will definitely give the furminator a try.

Love,
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline Miadanu

• Donator
  • Merlin
    • COL Sussex Meetups Information Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »
We originally bought a furminator before even getting Merlin and read on here that although it got the hair out reasonably well when it grew back it was at funny angles.  I replaced it with a mars coat king and haven't looked back.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
I bought one as I read they are brilliant for removing dead hair and cut down on moulting all over the floor by 90%.  I since read that some people say it actually cuts the top coat as well.  As I'm not showing, that's not a major problem but if you plan to show, you will need to handstrip.  It has removed a lot of hair from Toby as his undercoat is now ready to come out but I'm wondering what his top coat will look like if I continue to use it - only one way to find out.   :huh:  I'm thinking of trying the Mars Coat King as that has better feedback.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
There was an earlier discussion about furminators that I have found for you.
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=81352.0
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »
ah cheers.. well it seems to be grand on my 4 but they dont carry big coats. Its just the odd ginger tuft I wheech off!  ;)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
I bought one as I read they are brilliant for removing dead hair and cut down on moulting all over the floor by 90%.  I since read that some people say it actually cuts the top coat as well.  As I'm not showing, that's not a major problem but if you plan to show, you will need to handstrip.  It has removed a lot of hair from Toby as his undercoat is now ready to come out but I'm wondering what his top coat will look like if I continue to use it - only one way to find out.   :huh:  I'm thinking of trying the Mars Coat King as that has better feedback.
Since discovering that we really didn't have the time to commit to showing I have used a Coat King (Mars) on Belle and Monty, Belle is a solid Black like Toby , she has a natural Kink to her hair but it has got no worse using the Coat King, I think that the Mars is a really good compromise to get the stripped look without the hard work. Nothing is going to look as glorious as a naturally handstripped dog but you can get a really nice finish with a Coat King. I got mine from ebay, just check its an original Mars, best grooming tool I have bought ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »
Thanks Jo.  Coat King now top of Toby's shopping list  :005:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: